Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

No, you can do a quick Google r USNWR search :slight_smile: DS applied to that school as part of 20+ schools everyone is applying. Given his stats no reason to apply beyond T25 schools. I don’t think anyone goes to UChicago over Ivies for premed. I believe they are very strong in Math.

There are actually multiple nonbinding programs: Oklahoma MHSP, Rochester REMS. Conneticut SPIM, Case Western, UIC GPPA (only for Illinois residents),and VCU GMED. What is the opinion regarding nonbinding BS/MD versus TOP 20 undergrad universities?

2 Likes

How difficult is it to get a Residency spot in CA for OOS MD graduates?
How are the chances look like for them in the top tier, middle, and low tier residency oppertunities in the CA hospitals?

For PPSP at CWRU:

While the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) is not required, Pre-Professional Scholars who choose to take it must present a total score above the 94th percentile to maintain the conditional acceptance to the School of Medicine. Failure to achieve this score will result in cancellation of eligibility for admission to the School of Medicine.

PPSP totally discourage you to take the MCAT. I also wonder if they are gong to retain your spot, if you plan to apply out.

2 Likes

So why would anyone take it with such a language ( perhaps the only reason is to apply other places).

Also how would they know if you take and do not send scores ( perhaps MCAT is different than other tests and they would know even if u dont send!).

If you are a CA resident with a strong applicant you should be able to match. Yu will be competing with other CA residents who went to in-state schools like UCSSF,UCLA and UCSD. It appear lot of UCSF students prefer match there itself.

So if D was to join UCB or UCLA, does she have a better chance for MD to many top UC MD schools. Perhaps I can move to CA and do spirituality with dad and she will have in-state after a year or so.

Or UC MD schools is nation wide acceptance and no preference to in-state?

Thank you. What if DC claims resident status in other State like in NY for example, while doing MD there in NY itself? DC will then become out of state for CA while applying for residency in CA?
Please note that parents still live in CA through out this and even before.

CA is the toughest state for in-state applicants. UCLA premed class size itself can fill all the seats. UCSF and UCLA take lot of OS students to maintain their ranks. UCSD takes 20% or so OOS. So don’t even think of coming to CA, stay in upstate. You are in good region for medical schools. Other option is go to T and join oil industry there.

There is AMCAS which will send application to all medical schools including CSWR. Even BSMDs may have to apply to medical school via AMCAS to matriculate. It may be a formality. UG school also controls the committee letter of recommendation and they may be same folks who administer BSMD. One needs to follow all the requirements as stated in the contract one signs.

@compengineer1
It is other way round- folks from CA apply outside to secure a medical school seat at any cost.

Yeah I know for UIC GPPA, while no interview is needed, one has to fill out the AMCAS to matriculate (also assuming one has met MCAT and gpa requirements).

It is the same application as for regular MD except you apply to one medical school under BSMD category. One may have to follow the same requirements to apply.

1 Like

D can maintain domicile in CA while studying in SBU, NY. Studying outside your home state does not make you a resident of the other state. Does she file any CA tax return ? She should continue to do so.

@srk20217

You read my mind- I allowed son to join UT and assumed I will move to T and then he will get in-state ( could have done for UCLA/SD, he didnt get UCB). It is easy to get T residency than CA ( in T, you dont need to break tie with previous state whereas in CA you do).

However, D was at top in 8th grade and resisted the move. Since she was doing well, I decided to take a chance that was good as she continued to be at top.

She can join UT or Rice BME- and we can move and then in-state after a year for UT but whats the point? Why to let IVY go for UT or Rice. Thought CA has better medical schools not sure in Tx.

Your D can get TX residency via a real estate purchase i.e. a home in TX, IMO. Please consult state of Texas residency requirements.

True- Texas allows residency if you have a property after 12 months or one parent live there. For CA, you have to show no connection left with NY.

The point is why move for D? She downgrades to UT or Rice and then still med school.

She can apply to Texas medical schools as a TX resident with a very high probability of an admission. No one can beat TX medical school cost, it is a virtually free ride.

1 Like

Dont understand- Let Columbia or JHU full ride go for UT or Rice??? And still look for med schools after UT- What was achieved???

I have rarely seen people join UT and let IVY go. UT gives full ride for 1 yr to Tx state valedictorian to keep them in-state.

You wanted a free ride to medical school (NYU), the next thing close to it is a Texas medical school admission. You decide what you do want a free UG ride, a IVY paid UG, an almost free ride to medical school.