Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

We may have visited Temple and met the main priest.

Unfortunately not. Lot of people miss it. Fortunately my CC friend @itsgettingreal21 told me about it 4 years back. Vandy was the last application DS submitted, you’ll know rest of the story :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is so true! :rofl: I’m a Nigerian so I can relate 100%

Darn it, missed it too.

My wife was upset that I was asking him to apply to a school in south :slight_smile:

1 Like

Perhaps like Rutgers or UCONN.

Wish NY had flagship school. I think SBU gives full ride is to see if they can get few top kids.

Not sure if UCB gives full ride. I try to bargain with UCLA and they said, they dont ( they made instate with about 40K, they said they dont give to CA residents also). GT gives - they gave about 25K per year and D did not make to full award ( only 1 in NY and 65 in Georgia). UT gives full ride to Valedictorian for 1 yr Only.

Most CA schools want OOS to pay full tuition. CA school almost never give OOS any scholarships, IMO.

Darn it!! My DC has an acceptance form Vandy but the cost of attendance is huge without any scholarships :frowning:

Btw where is Vandy??? I know I can always find!!

—OU MHSP is in south

Let you find it and come back and tell me what you think of the school.

1 Like

Nashville, TN

It is in Nashville, TN, the country music capital of US.

UCB has Regents scholarship

Don’t be shocked by the amount. DS was the only recipient in his class 4 years back.

or hot chicken, our main reason to visit (besides DS) :slight_smile:

On Planet Earth!

I live close to dinosaur IBM semiconductor fab that was flagship of country 15 yrs ago. IBM had to pay 2B to Globalfoundries ( controlled by middle east) to get rid of it. Only Intel has the muscle to put new fab in this country now worth 10B ( putting in AZ), the other 2 being TSMC and Samsung.

Ambani had a choice in 2000s but put in Refinery. Semi is cut-throat business, highly R&D oriented and fab become obselete in 2-3 years.

It is just like a Honors College privileges with a little summer support ($ 1k).

The scholarships are intended to get those with Ivy league admissions just like BSMDs are to get those who wouldn’t join their UG without MD hook. Every Corenlius Vanderbilt scholar I know has at least one HYPSM+.

1 Like

My PhD good friend and colleague is now Dean of VCU 2 son- one did ChE Vandy and other JHU ChE. ChE Vandy did med school JHU and just started Stanford Residency in Emergency med. JHU ChE is in investment business ( not sure if he wanted med school or not). He recommended me against BS-MD ( claimed one of his son not sure which had something in Alabama).

Bottomline 4 yrs ago, I was so ignorant and had no clue on Vanderbilt and now realized such a great school with @srk2017 kid with full ride and success story of good friend.