Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

Too expensive. That’s my main issue with BSMD programs. Even though we could afford my S didn’t want us to spend that kind of money. If you can afford (without impacting your retirement) then pick SB, but don’t get into debt for the sake of bird-in-hand.

2 Likes

How much did it cost your son via traditional ?

— Check room and board cost

Hey my son was recently accepted into the VCU BS/MD program. PM me to discuss.

Hello my son was recently accepted into the VCU BS/MD program. PM me to talk.

Hey my son was recently accepted into the VCU BS/MD program. PM me to discuss/exchange contact info.

1 Like

You’ll should watch it.

2 Likes

Around $20K per year for room and board.

It is expensive at Vandy for room and board. It is much less if one chooses to live off campus (housing with friends) and does own cooking.

Same at BU, plus $70k tuition, fees, book etc.

@srk2017 Is Rice known for grade inflation or deflation? I got conflicting info from different sources. Thanks

So far including DC the following have received StonyBrook BSMD Acceptance for this Fall 2021:
@charhat
@compengineer1

Is there anyone else who received acceptance to Stony Brook’s BSMD? Please DM me. :+1:

oh Vanderbilt gave full tuition ride then :slight_smile: thats awesome

Vandy expects you to live in the dorms for all 4 yours. First dorms are residential college experience with one faculty living in each building. Most of their dorms are good and food is excellent.

There was a separate Merit scholarship application for Vanderbilt, which we were not aware of. Any ideas if they offer merit scholarships after the acceptance?

By not going to BU BSMD, one can save around 60k/year (with a full tuition scholarship). This will almost pay for medical school tuition part if invested at the start of UG. Let us see how residencies pan out. BU vs UCSF/UPenn residency matches.

2 Likes

Full tuition vs full ride (don’t mix both :slight_smile: ). Vandy has full tuition scholarships only.

SBU is 1 to 1.5 hr away from NYC - the Interstate is nightmare and always 4 hr wait near NYC. Train is about 1 hr ( plus change). It is isolated campus and avg UG school. Several kids from most school end up there due to low instate tuition ( Besides Binghamton, UALbany, Buffalo - other 3 state schools). The schools are avg. compared to flagships like UCB or UT or GT or UMich etc.

Unless kid is into party in NYC, it is pretty isolated ( D1 too in soccer etc.). I have not seen any top 10 kids in my daughters avg high school going since my sons time- They gave him and D full ride ( he was 30 or so with ACT 34 and soccer). He did not want to join and preferred Binghamton.

As D did 6 week residential program, she seems a bit more open. Overall a relaxed place, easy to get 4.00 and move to MD. Also lot of research opportunities in bio, neuro, cancer, bioinformatics and med school.

Its medical school is ranked #55 (a mid tier) similar to SKMC (Thomas Jefferson) but higher than NJMS, RWJ, Drexel and Temple’s medical schools.

Didnt realize you near SBU- thought in bay area. You did sound like Wall street analyst!!

I recited the whole SBU Ramayana not knowing you are the Ram!!!