Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

Is it that worth? Do they give any guarantee about the college? Just searching about this school. I only heard about TJ all these days through my cousin and now this is something new to me.

omg second that

If you look at high level, as little as 1 step higher, we all are paying taxes to the country & our own state, and paying even more as a California resident. Some others are getting benefited from our taxes here in CA even though I am not getting those benefits directly for my own benefit. I am pretty sure a lot of those taxes are going to public universities in CA where they utilize them for infrastructure or other facilities and OOS students are getting benefited from them. And public universities in CA are able to send merit scholarships to OOS students with those tax dollars.

Another way of looking at it is, you pay ahead so you can get merit scholarships later and you will compensate everything in the end.

Didnā€™t you apply to GPPA?

Why do not you stay in CA and enjoy those great universities ? May be they will give you free tuition scholarships so that you do not have to look at other places for free tuition scholarships.

We have something similar, called IMSA, kids have to stay at hostel environment for entire high school and mom used veto power and straight up no for kids to be in hostel at that tinder age. Like others, both my kids went through public gifted program (you earn the spot in one of academy, from arts to STEM, depending on your interest).

1 Like

I did apply to GPPA, didnā€™t receive an interview. Oklahoma MHSP was my only interview and only acceptance.

2 Likes

that is exactly part of growing pain.

And it is highly likely by that stage of life, kids have other significant in life and plays a bigger role too.

1 Like

Well, we can choose where we want to spend: either on Tesla or kids education or vacations or do investments in real estate/funds I guess, we canā€™t get to do everything considering we did not inherit the riches.

2 Likes

Every year, one will find so many good ways to distract on result day.

1 Like

welcome to BS/MD business.

All the very best to everyone waiting for IVY day results.

15 minutes to goā€¦

As an onlooking parent I understand your disappointment because your child didnā€™t get in with perfect stats. However, it is unfair to declare that ā€œnon-deserving studentsā€ got admissions into these programs.

2 Likes

All the very best!!

one year of private school tuition pays for Tesla :slight_smile: Other than having small class sizes and individual attention I am not sure what these schools provide. I did put my kid in private school in first grade since we are new to the city and didnā€™t live in a good area. First thing my car crazy 1st grader noticed was that everyone was driving Benz and Lexus and we have old Nissan. So I told him he is going to public school next and his choice to get into a magnet school or bad public school.

2 Likes

---- deleted

I keep cars for 12+ yrs. Hope Tesla survives that long and by that time we all will be in subscription model.

1 Like

Damn- Harvard Waitlist!

So it is Columbia now, settled ?