Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

Congrats to everyone on Ivies. Tough decisions for you all ahead. Wish we had the same problem.

After a disappointing cycle, will likely be committing to SLU. Thanks for all the help on this forum. Good luck to everyone in future. Signing off now.

6 Likes

Kiddo got into Cornell and WL in UPenn. He was considering only UCB vs SLU so far.

2 Likes

Cornell is known for grade deflation (UG GPA may suffer).

1 Like

Looking for advice for my own future medical school apps

Seems not sure-

D preference: 1) Columbia or other IVY BME. Had it been H or Caltech we would see eye to eye.

1. Think split between JHU BME and SBU MD

My preference ( Who cares!!)

1. JHU BME
  2. Split between C ( or other IVY - Should I waste more energy considering PENN/Cornell/Dart??) and SBU MD ( perhaps 50K for C is fine vs 5-10K for SBU).
2 Likes

@Geek13 - CWRU PPSP is a great deal. Would not recommend giving it up for Brown.

Also, usually case gives some $$ so makes the 8 yrs program cheaper than 4 yrs at IVY followed by med school

2 Likes

@medman16 - NJMS is a smart choice. IMO, your life will be easy in the UG. You will be back to being super-busy in NJMS med school again to get top speciality match!

Congratulations - Wish you the very best!

1 Like

GW/GW is a smart choice - Compared to SMED, you save significant $$$ while still going to good/solid undergrad and medical school. $$$ saved would cover good portion of med school. GW/GW has better UG and med school ranking compared to NJMS

Congratulations - Wish you the very best!

1 Like

Congratulations on UConn SPIM. Its a good program - Wish you the very best.

Forget about NJMS and all other programs which didn’t admit you! Getting into one solid program is all you need.

1 Like

Columbia - Accepted
Yale - Accepted

Harvard - Deferred and rejected
Penn - Rejected
Brown - Rejected
Dartmouth - Waitlisted

Crazy college admissions! You never know why
ever. So, dear future applicants, please like at least a few schools for different reasons and apply wide.

Congratulations to everyone who got their acceptances today.

11 Likes

Congrats to everyone on the acceptances! Does anyone have any input on GW/GW and Pitt GAP

2 Likes

@mom2boys1999 - Awesome. Congratulations and best wishes to S and the proud family. :partying_face:

1 Like

@SpeedSkater - Congratulations! So, you have a lot to think about before May 1 decision date.

Your advise about not having favorite college is really important for all the students to remember.

Students - Show love to the college that showed love to you!

2 Likes

@dancer2021 - Pitt GAP hands down! Pitt medical school is excellent.

Congratulations and wish you the best!

3 Likes

I will post once he makes the decision. As per ECs he didn’t do anything special, research, mentoring and clinical volunteering.

No. Not all colleges have a forced curve in every class - Ivies are generally considered to have grade inflation. UPenn is an exception.

My D and her class are just talking IVYs.

2nd rank rejected all and waitlist Cornell

Other accepted Berkeley today after all rejects.

Disappointing day for many.

Think IVY force rules even avg. school.

I’m not sure why you would expect to hear of it unless you or your child attended UPenn. My neighbor’s daughter is finishing her 2nd year of Med School straight out of UPenn. Had perfect SAT score (1600)- accepted to Yale, Brown (not PLME), Cornell, Columbia, JHU. Her dad wanted her to go to Yale- she insisted on UPenn. After the forced curve in every class (UCLA also has it, did you know about that?), she is in a third-rate Med School- lucky to have gotten in to any, straight out of UG. Admission in to Med School is now more brutal than UG- (FWIW my sister is an Assoc. Prof of Surgery and on the Admissions Committee at Loyola Med School).

6 Likes

RD Harvard was brutal less than 4 percent

humble and lucky to have Harvard EA and Pitt Gap BS MD

Left one is Stanford tomorrow

2 Likes

I talked earlier to Doc couple ( Husband surgeon) and their D got UPENN ED and then UPENN med school. They claimed that she had full ride to UMICh med school and chose UPENN full pay.

They were advising me to take C over JHU or SBU-MD full ride ( mom more than dad). Later mom confirmed that D also thinks C is better to go.

Will talk to them again with UPENN in pocket.