Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

It’s time for me to choose a UG for a traditional track. I would really appreciate it if anyone had any advice. I am not interested in anything else other than premed. I prefer a UG that offers an early assurance program or IS tuition for the own medical school. All OOS, listed from full to less scholarship but mostly none costs me much.
Upitt, CMU, Temple, Case Western, VCU, Rochester < PennState, Uconn, Rutgers, Drexel

psa: as ivy and most of the decisions are out, and if you have decided to accept somewhere else, please make sure to decline/withdraw from bsmd programs, this will allow waitlisted students to get in. this will immensely help everyone.

i have some t20s but theyre either far too expensive or r too hard for pre med so it looks like ill be headed to UVA in the fall. is it as hard as everyone makes it seem for pre med or is it manageable once you get out of weed out classes? any advice on premed at UVA is appreciated!

Sorry for my curiousity. Did you do your undergrad in the US? Cheer2021 specifically mentions that each college’s individual grading policy is disclosed (probably in its Handbook)

MIT - Computational Biology and Princeton Neuroscience. Also have questions since both are hard to keep up the GPA, he has waitlisted few colleges and if you accept the waitlist is it binding like you have to go if you get off from the waitlist. I thought waitlist is not binding at all if they tell you if you got spot at waitlist, you can decline? is this right.

Like this is what says for Brown: "If I am offered admission from the waitlist, may I defer my enrollment? Students admitted from the waitlist are expected to enroll at Brown in the fall following their offer of admission.

What does defer means in this sentence, does it mean like can not take gap year.

Defer means next year or later if possible.

My son really loved Case Western and prob was most crushed by his PPSP rejection. The medical experiences access there and the students he met really made him love it.

2 Likes

Prefer CWRU. Good for pre-med and relatively easy to become IS in Ohio. Of course CWRU is private but you can apply to other MD schools which are good mid tiers OSU (Columbus), Cincy to contain the cost (if that is critical for you).

2 Likes

@muscarf - if one is accepted off the waitlist, it is not mandatory that you have to go. They cannot enforce that. It’s the same reason why they tell people on the waitlist that they should make plans accordingly and accept a college acceptance elsewhere.

1 Like

Just submitted an appeal for FA at Brown.

They came in significantly above what the NPC estimated and about $20k above our EFC. They allocated about $15k less than Duke and about $20k less than Stanford. Hopefully they will at least match Duke. This would allow kid to save Dad’s GI Bill for med school, a significant cost change.

3 Likes

I would cross out CMU because of cost. CWRU doesn’t have EAP as far as I know and competition wise cut throat. Pitt doesn’t have EAP either but easier on grading. Both are similar opportunities wise.

Penn State and Rochester both awesome if you are okay with the places but may not have given you any price breaks. Rutgers is over filled in classes and much competition for ECs and research. Rutgers and Roch do have EAP, but competition will be heavy for a handful of spots.

So my recommendation would be to choose one of Pitt, Roch, Penn State and Rutgers.

1 Like

What kind of premed CMU offers? It is mainly known for CS.

This may be a dumb question…Knowing that nearly 95% of students comes to medical school through traditional route and rest through BSMS route, will there be any preference/favor towards or away for BSMD students while granting a residency spot in the match list process?

@mom2boys1999 Happy to note the hard work of 33 apps paid off. Some students/parents prefer to be selective, it depends on individual. Especially if some known significant downside in the app (like GPA or no ECs). I feel we also got a break because of wide selection.

Silent lurker in this thread. Thank you all for your thoughtful guidance and helping folks through this journey.
Coming to our situation, DC got accepted to Duke, GT, Cornell, Emory( some aid) Vandy, Rice and UCONN BSMD ( Instate). we were late to BSMD process and applied only to UCONN BSMD and Brown PLME ( Regular brown wait listed)- Any thoughts and suggestions to choose ? how will be Duke and Emory premed ? UG major - BME, Emory - Neuroscience. Appreciate your time

To the best of knowledge none 0%. BS/MD is a history by the time you are doing MD. Residency is another ball game.

@grtd2010 and @OldSchoolMD Thank you!

UConn BSMD

3 Likes

No, I went to grad school in US but that doesn’t disqualify me from commenting :joy: I get full updates from my kid so I know how grading was for each class he took.

HPP Students Profile
Each year ~35 applicants
Medical (MD, DO, MD/PhD) (30-40)
Dental (2-5)
Veterinary medicine, Physician Assistant, Optometry, OT, PT (1)

Majors:
Biology, Neuroscience, Bio-Psych, Psychology, Engineering, Chemistry, Physics, Math, Global Studies, Decision Science, Info systems, BXA (science + music)

Acceptance rates range from 60-80%
Advising, committee interview, and committee letter resources are available to all CMU students and alumni without prejudice