Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

@sammong -

Based on the info you provided, I found multiple early assurance programs in Pennsylvania

1. Temple seems to be the best
  2. Upitt most difficult.
  3. Penn State - You got into State college campus but EA program is with Penn State Behrend campus. you might be able to move/transfer from state college to this campus for Early assurance program. However do not recommend since this campus is not so good

Temple University Lewis Katz School of Medicine Early Assurance Program

Upitt special programs
https://www.medadmissions.pitt.edu/applying-pitt/special-programs

Penn State College of Medicine Hershey Early Assurance Program (this is for behrend campus only)

Pennsylvania residency information (courtesy of Temple University)-
https://www.temple.edu/registrar/documents/downloads/PennsylvaniaResidencyGuidelinesandApplication.pdf

Other colleges - CWRU, CMU, UConn, VCU doesnt have early assurance.
Rutgers RWS/NJMS by invitation only. Drexel only for students directly from high school.
Rochester med EA program may not apply to Rochester UG students!

1 Like

@fawnsmom - I agree with @rk2017. UConn being in state for you, you should take the BS/MD here for least cost and hassle and guaranteed (nearly so) spot in medical school.

Apply for competitive residency/fellowship etc
post medical school.

If medicine is not important and UG prestige is important and spending 330+ K on Undergraduate seems doable - go ahead with Duke . Prefer Duke over Cornell, Emory, Vandy, Rice

2 Likes

Very helpful! Thank you.
In addition, VCU has a program called Preferred Applicant Track for Medicine for their Pre-Med Honors College UG.
https://honors.vcu.edu/admissions/preferred-applicant-track-medicine/

1 Like

@Sammong - It looks like you have two choices - VCU and Temple

You probably got into both temple honors and VCU honors colleges?

I like Temple UG over VCU ug. both medical schools are equally good.

VCU residency requirements may be easier - but check carefully!
http://bulletin.vcu.edu/graduate/study/graduate-tuition-student-fees/tuition-determination-student-classification/

oh that is just HPA office, not a special program like EAP.

Nope, but research is one thing that carries with you. So you may be competing with those who did UG for 4 years or took gap years for competitive specialties. That doesn’t mean BSMDs don’t match well.

2 Likes

Not quite clear about this VCU pathway, in what way is it any different than a typical EAP at most other undergrads (like Rutgers for example). Have they given any stats on the likelihood of making the cut through this?

1 Like

So is it prof choice, not the school/college policy?

So research is the main deciding factor for specialty residency matches?

There are all sort of variables. Think this way Prof policy for a class supersedes dept policy that supersedes college policy.

1 Like

Respect to you for feeling admission into IIT is easy! I took one look at Jee questions and almost puked at the sheer difficulty

One of the factors, others are performance in related rotations and LORs.

3 Likes

Yes, I got into honors program for Temple(Presidental Scholar) and VCU(Provost.) I know very little about Temple but some about VCU: Each year 8-10 sophomores get into the Preferred Applicant Track for Medicine out of 50-60 applicants. (If I remember correctly from the info meeting, VCU premed students gets IS tuition for MD.)

Thank you

@mom2boys1999 - Congratulations to your S and proud parents on Brown PLME. He got awesome results and your hard-work paid off.

I became involved with cc after my son applied and while he was deciding on which program to accept. And cc made me realize the various ways parents were supporting their kids. Hats off and kudos to you :clap: and your partnership with your S :clap:

5 Likes

Pitt has a strong pre-med program.
This year, I know of 2 kids who got accepted into Penn, Pitt, Case, GW plus 2 other programs without gap years.

From CMU also, you can access Pitt’s resources and opportunities.

2 Likes

Thank you @Vicky2019. DC is not into Prestige kind of things, is very practical. It is me. Not much about the prestige but more about exposure.

Congratulations.

Can you have your son decline to all the other colleges so students on waitlist can be accepted. I know a lot of my daughters friends on waitlist for UVA and UNC and other colleges on your son’s list. Thank you

You are missing USMLE-2 CK score probably replacing USMLE-1 P/F as a substitute.

1 Like

If anyone knows or have some friends or family that went for premed at MIT or Princeton and willing to contact us, would love to talk. And if anyone has data for how many percent goes to medschool after UG. Thank you.