Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

Don’t forget a chance to get merit scholarships thru traditional path :grinning:

UPenn

Your D has scholarship at Columbia right?

Premed at any one of these fine institutions will prepare you for MCAT and medical school. It is your UG GPA and MCAT score that you should concentrate on. A brand name institution is not necessarily a best option, IMO. It is you who, not your UG institution which will influence where you land up. There are no guarantees by attending any institution you will get into a T20 medical school. You may not even get into any or get into a T5-10, no one can predict.

2 Likes

Looking at UPenn Statistics, there is hardly any advantage in GPA ( around -0.06 to -0.04) over national average due to UPenn brand. Cornell is known for grad deflation. MCAT score is dependent on you and how well you prepare.
IMO, PSU/SKMC BSMD may be a better choice.

1 Like

It is usually getting into their med school from any undergrad. Very few UPenn undergrads make it to their med school, with or without gap years.

1 Like

35K, still need to pay 50K. UPENN/Princeton/Cornell working on financial package- Not known. Dart eliminated. Think narrowing between C and U.

Not sure if Harvard/Caltech waitlist will move.

So one of IVY or SBU MD or JHU Full ( can move to ChE or Biology if GPA is an issue in BME- Heard nearly all JHU UG are premeds so stiff competition at JHU unlike other schools- is that correct???).

Yes BME at JHU is very tough but also have known someone from there who made it to their med school without gap years. So it is unpredictable.

This is same story everywhere - Almost everyone starts as a premed, but they get weeded out as they take premed pre-requisites due to grades.

1 Like

Choose between Brown and UPenn (a little tougher)

HPME allows for a gap year and you are free to do whatever you want - become a Fulbright Scholar, take a job, do research or take a break.

My D is not aware of HPME students in recent years taking a break after undergrad to do a MBA.

According to my D, medical students wanting to do a MBA can do so after year 2 of medical school i.e. before the start of rotations.

Take Stonybrook BS/MD.

2 Likes

UPenn medical school has roughly 2/3rds of the batch with 2 or more gap years.
UPenn undergrad to UPenn medical school students form less than 20% of the matriculating medical class.
Of these <20% students, students without gap years is a very small portion.

Hope this helps.

Is rpi/amc still sending out decisions?

So if only choices are UPENN and Columbia, which is better for MD? Approx same or one has distinctive advantage?

Yes JHU BME is tough but again depends on student’s academic strength. I know one who got into Stanford without gap years but my nephews took gap years. Why do you think your D got full ride? If you want you can PM me and I will give my 2 cents.

The admission season didn’t go as hoped for us. Looking for advice from seniors on UG for traditional route, which is better and reasons if possible.
Pitt Honors 10k merit (IS)
University of Rochester 14k merit
Boston University 25k merit
and if Case comes through, 31k merit indicated

D has decent stats. ACT 35, 4.0 unweighted, top 1% rank, NM, APs - 8 5s and 1 4, 5 more yet to be taken.
Leaning towards Pitt. How is their support for med school applications? Worried about her being lost in the big pre-med crowd.

1 Like

If CWRU UG comes with 31k merit, it may be the best choice, IMO. There are plenty of opportunities to do research and medical ECs. UPitts may be a good choice.

2 Likes

Not because she is brilliant but they know that unless they give $$, she is not coming- True as well since full ride eliminated All other except IVYs for now- Welcome to America!!

What if other major say ChE or Biology/Neuroscience- I heard everyone at JHU is premed and stiff competition there too!!

Which one among UPENN or Columbia?

Perhaps will DM you and will apprecite call.

Think I am just going in loop and trying to convince myself of one better than other and driving D crazy- She is decided and doesnt want to Talk!!!

They are the same but I prefer UPenn.

BTW - what are your D’s criteria for a college?