Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

Has anyone heard from AMC this week?

Yes, I just received RPI/AMC acceptance! Also updated my results post with it :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Awesome! Congratulations! My D applied for Union/AMC, we called them 30 mins back and they told us that they will announce results by next Friday or Monday thereafter as some applications are still pending review.

The Dell Med school had its first batch match to residency this year and they all matched at very good places. It was a 100% match.

Congratulations and I also see that you had earlier withdrawn from NJMS candidacy after the interview. Nice gesture on your part thereby helping your fellow applicants instead of holding on to it waiting for the result and to add to your list of acceptances for bragging rights.

6 Likes

Two questions for the senior members of this forum - @GoldenRock @rk2017 @srk2017 @grtd2010 @Vicky2019 @skieurope @confident2021 @novicedad @dblazer and others

(1) If someone is able to finish the Bachelors portion earlier for BSMD (say 2/3 years instead of 3/4 years and medical school doesnā€™t allow to matriculate), what would you recommend for the gap year? Masters in Bioinformatics (may be useful later in research) / MPH / 1 year Research at NIH ? Which of the three options will help competitive residencies?

(2) If you are waitlisted by Columbia and Brown, can you tell both of them that they are your ā€˜top choiceā€™? Do ā€˜top choiceā€™ get reported anywhere(e.g. National Association of Colleges and Employers - Wikipedia) ? Can Brown turn down the admission because you told Columbia that they are top choice?

Oh God! Are you making fun of a fellow applicant who is asking you to withdraw a pending application? When you have already accepted somewhere. Never seen anyone like you beforeā€¦Good Luck! The person who is requesting you might stronger candidate than you. Hope he/she gets in.

1 Like

Well said!

Depends on what your goals are and strength and weaknesses in your ECs. If you are going for traditional path, research heavy schools look for solid research experience but others look for strong clinical experience and non-clinical experiences serving underserved (do outside of campus).

ā€œTop choiceā€ letters means nothing since they know those are not binding. Also, they use waitlist to make sure they get their diversity.

You may have included @dblazer too in your list, hopefully he still will chime in, since he is the one with the most recent first hand experience :slight_smile:

One candidate I have known did an accelerated masters in traditional route in 4 years, did not bother applying to any fancy med schools, went straight to state med school and landed in a top residency. Difficult to say how much the masters may or not have helped, since he also had publication, posters etc on med school.

The draw back I can see with research, you are expected to have publication(s) which may or may not happen in that one year and depending on the topic of research. Otherwise it may not carry a lot of weight.

Question #1 is specific to BSMD

Assuming someone is holding on to acceptances or waiting for acceptances for bragging rights is wrong. Each applicant has their own selection process and lot of times applicants go back and forth. BSMD as well as MD programs give out more interviews and acceptances than they have and expect some cancellations and withdrawals. So no use in keep asking people to withdraw! I have seen it lot over last 4 years but never commented.

This was constantly shot down by adcoms on SDN. What you said makes difference for competitive residencies but not necessarily for MD admission. My kidā€™s didnā€™t have paper yet for his UG research but all interviewers understood the delays and satisfied with his answers and his PIā€™s LOR. In fact his top 3 admissions are due to his research.

BTW, nothing wrong aiming for so called fancy schools.

I guess the question was rather, how difficult it will be to get into Dell med school as a UT Austin undergrad rather than the residency placements later (if I read it correctly). I would think quite difficult, since it is new and small med school class size each year. The competition at UT Austin is intense at undergrad level. Heard of one candidate though who made it straight from the undergrad there, but had a 525 on MCAT.

1 Like

Donā€™t know the answer for 2nd question, but urge you to be truthful.

Thanks @rk2017

My question about Masters OR Research during gap year - is specific to BSMD program (1 year between Bachelors and medical school matriculation).

So what will help in getting competitive residency?

Then if you know what specialty you are interested, try to get research in that. NIH research carries lot of weight but make sure you get good research. I think some of BSMD candidates got admission purely based on NIH research. Unfortunately lot of HSers get these opportunities thru connections.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think doing UG at UT-Austin going to add any tangible advantage to get admission at UT-Austin for MD, even if you are going to TX resident.

Medical admission is always unpredictable and that too aiming for a specific medical college it very hard. UT-Austin is going to be harder also since the class size is so small since it just started.

If you like UT-Austin for UG, just go for it. But work hard to cover all basis for MD admission. Once you are resident then MD choices is plenty in TX with so many medical colleges and many of them have biggest class sizes like UTSW, Baylor

3 Likes

It may help if you can share here all your current options.

1. If you can focus on any ā€œgapsā€ in your profile - for many students, it is research.
    I have doubtā€™s if MPH helps in any residencies.

2. Generally the letter of intent is to indicate to them that if they give you an acceptance, you will join them. Since you can only do that for 1 of the 2 colleges, I suggest you decide which college you want to write such language in your communication to them.

Quite the opposite. I have several messages from others on this topic. I donā€™t think itā€™s right to tell others how to handle their admissions decisions ā€¦ they may have personal reasons for not withdrawing.

3 Likes