Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

can someone explain what this means?

"Its should be noted that BS/MD students have the highest attrition rate at 5.2% after starting medical school. "

Dropping out of medical school.

oh i see wow thats pretty surprising

May be skewed by the small data set.

congrats! when did you interview for rpi/amc?

@srk2017 how this 5.2 % compares to traditional route candidates ?

how this data was compiled I only see HPME is more transparent in sharing data in detail and there are so many BS MD programs and lot of information is not shared by colleges between undergrad and med schools

It will be interesting to see program by program

for example WASHU BS MD how many dropped after undergrad will be also a good stats due to high GPA and MCAT

Thank you, I interviewed in early March.

I apologize for the double post. I have been accepted into both RPI/AMC and Stony Brook’s Scholar for Medicine program and was wondering which I should accept. I have to decide by April 15th. Thank you so much!

Good info

If it is for non academic reason then Mark Zuckerberg and lot folks left Harvard too to pursue dreams and it would be interesting to find how many were successful ??

These data are useless- meaning Bill Gates or Zuckerberg left Harvard or Dell left UT.

They had strong connection with rich parents with even more connections. 1-2 make big of millions who drop out.

For most desis, unless parent have huge business, Saraswati is a must.

As my learned dad rightfully said- We did not have Lakshmi but had Saraswati. Fulfill Saraswati dreams and Laksmi will follow!!

6 Likes

May be BSMD students are not well prepared for the rigor of medical school compared to regular MD admission ( includes 1-2 gap years for 2/3 of those accepted). Something to ponder. PhD can take up to 6 years extra (plus 4 for MD for MD/PhD).

but here they are using Lakshmi to make sure Saraswati stays with kid.

1 Like

May be both Sarswati and Laxmi don’t mind the interchangeability and flexibility with who is first.

True still 2.9 percent could not make due to not meeting Academics or gpa requirement of BS MD which is much less percentage than weed out statistic of a Premed class

What about individual bs md school stats ?

According to the NJMS dean of admissions, BS/MD students usually perform at the top of the class. Not sure where the 5.2 statistic comes from

I don’t think any school publishes that info. Lot of them have different intake each year i.e. sometimes they have more acceptances (and they are OK with that since they can adjust traditional path intake after 3 or 4 years).

AAMC

It is from AAMC, NJMS is just one school. AAMC is Association of American Medical Colleges. AAMC has ownership of MCAT and AMCAS (American Medical College Application Service is similar to Common App).

And kids will always take Lakshmi!!

Only parents care about Saraswati! But even more about Lakshmi!!

My high school classmate who used to flunk all classes and I helped him until 10th grade where he struggled to multiply 989× 898, is a millionaire with multiple real estate and restaurents in Baroda. He sent his 2 daughters to study here and just got green card and opened 2 restaurents and making more lakshmi then I can dream of. He always has been humble and thankful to me for moving him from 6th to 10th grade that ended his college dream!!!

Moral of story- Fail in 10th grade and Lakshmi will help you!!!

1 Like