Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

Those may be helpful for med school admission not residency.

This would provide $$$ that can reduce one’s debt in medical school. An UG level research assistant in a University usually gets paid 10-15/hr.

that translates to less than 20K savings which is not much when you are spending 500K+ for BSMD. I would rater focus on strengthening residency app.

Money is not the criteria. I agree with @srk2017 The question is - how to strengthen the application for residency? (BTW - research is paid in this case.)

Also, masters is at a top-notch university (either Ivy or Ivylike)

As said focus on one or two specialties or basic research you can use for anything.

I read your post about residency
 Very informative! Thank you.
You did PMM and you might have considered same options if you completed earlier. The goal is to have high impact /peer-reviewed journal publications but what if the applicant doesn’t like speciality? Would published paper (e.g. cardio) help residencies in other speciality (e.g. neurosurgery)? OR would masters be a better bet?

In traditional path news, one ORM girl I know got 7 acceptances (couple of them with merit) and 7 WLs (Almost all of them are T20s) with no gap years. My guess is she will get 2 or 3 out of those WLs. T20 UG with free tuition, but not Ivy. Didn’t apply to BSMD and decided on medicine late.

3 Likes

@AffByCOVID Thanks for the honor but by no means I am a senior member. I have very little knowledge on the subject matter compared to the other members you have tagged.

1. Depending on what your interests are you can spend your year doing those things, if your application for Med school is strong along with MCAT scores then do what you enjoy since med school journey is long and exhausting. If your application is not strong enough then doing research for a year and publishing a paper is your strong bet to get accepted to Med school.
  2. I do not have enough information to answer this question.

The post is generic for everyone, may not be applicable to you.

US News provides two rankings - research and primary care.
As @medman16 explained, use research rankings.
Both Stonybrook and NJMS are solid medical schools.

Re: use of match list: If you were to do that, do at least past 4 years match list to get a perspective.
You can compare Primary Care (Family, internal, pediatrics) vs rest and within primary care, ratio of family medicine to total.
The lower the ratio of primary care vs rest and the lower the ratio of family medicine to primary care, I believe the more stronger the program is in propelling students to more competitive specialties.
Again, this is how I view the match list data.

Hope this helps.

PS: You cannot go wrong with either - NJMS or Stonybrook.

3 Likes

If you can get a paid research position as an UG researcher, it may be the best option to spend one year. Try to get at least a paper during one year.

Thanks @RR3600 for sharing your stats & perspectives in the results thread.
Congratulations!

1 Like

Is it safe to accept at least a week early so the accepted college processes your admission by the deadline? If there are hiccups, you will still have time to go for other colleges. Came across that thought just today, not sure if it is a valid concern or stressing out unnecessarily.

1 Like

You should accept when you feel comfortable, one week early is fine( count only business days). One may have to make a deposit to seal the deal. So make sure you will do both by the applicable deadline. One should make deposit for only one college as per rules.

it honestly seems like AMC has fallen asleep
 early April is gone.

BSMD is back in discussion in SDN

Everything can’t be a concern! Just commit as soon as your debate is over and finalized your decision, don’t have to wait until 23:59 on May 1st. We committed as soon we now where we want to go, 3 weeks ago :grinning:

1 Like

I did PMM when it was a 6 year so didn’t have to face that dilemma. Having any research counts for something, but a cardio paper probably wouldn’t stand out in particular to a neurosurgery program director trying to sort through applicants. I still stand by my original statement that you should do what you think you would enjoy/want to learn because it’s really what you do during med school that will largely determine your residency prospects vs what you accomplish in the 1 year prior to med school (i.e. it’s mostly a clean slate). You won’t have this kind of freedom/flexibility to delve into something, so take advantage. Research or masters would both be good uses of time.

1 Like

You can accept on May 1 if need more time. If you sure, any time including one week is fine.

One week early acceptance does not buy anything more than not bothering about other offers.

So as long as accept May 1 that is fine. When my son refused one school to join, I called other school on May 3 and they still honored him to join and gave another week to put deposit. But dont count on it.

Oh that’s good to know, yeah, don’t count on exceptions