Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

After long discussions with my family, campus visits, and chatting with current students, I have decided to commit to NJIT/NJMS! Thank you all so much for your guidance throughout this long process. I’m thrilled that I found the place that is the perfect fit for me! I will post on the results thread soon and will withdraw my other apps :slight_smile: Good luck to all!

13 Likes

Troy where RPI located looked like a ghost town when we visited 4 years back and my S immediately said he is not going there. Long Island is better (worked in long island) and a friend’s wife did residency at SB.

You are all sooooooooooo smart.

Smartboy!! ( Ajit Dialogue!!)

Learnt lot on MD here in last 2 months to confuse D.

Now will learn a little more until it all ends around May ( BS MD earlier!) to totally confuse her!!!

Driving to PENN and JHU to get a feel- Dont think it matters but D wanted after getting good report and vibe from PENN schoolmate.

My S is also visiting UPenn.

When? Is he joining PENN? Think he is going for MD right.

I read this kid with full rides or tuition at Harvard/Stanford/PENN/Columbia/NYU/Hopkins med school and still confused!!

Reading comments from folks fighting which is better was fun!!

Next week, trying to decide UPenn and other schools.

My DD got into Oklahoma BSMD. She acknowledged that OU provides an amazingly supportive environment and a full ride. She says she understands BU SMED requires more rigor and focus as an accelerated program and would like to go there in favor of OU. She accepted BU SMED.

9 Likes

Of course, BU SOM is higher ranked than OU SOM.

1 Like

Congrats and GL to her. Few years back one girl did same and ended up dropping out of BU due to GPA. So make sure she is focused from day 1.

1 Like

I thought @mom22dds is not into rankings :slight_smile:

You are right @srk2017 . If it was me, I would pick OU, especially because they allow applying out. I shared this perspective with DD and she asked if sending her to BU would pose a challenge for us. It does not, so she said she would then like to stick with her choice but I can override. I expect her to be responsible for her decisions and the consequences. I didn’t feel comfortable with the responsibility of making her decision for her and being accountable for any adverse consequences. So BU it is and we’re excited and looking ahead now :blush:

2 Likes

Since you are loaded and kid wants BU you made the right decision.

And I do care about ranking, a lot, but not at the cost of the child not feeling like a fit. For my older DD, due to her specific circumstances, we were very particular that she feel the fit at UG. For younger one, we don’t have such concerns - we just want her to understand what she is getting into.

Given a choice between Norman and Boston to live for 4+ years, Boston is certainly a lively place. D will not regret it as long as you pay all the bills.

1 Like

All acceptances except Duke, Stanford and Brown have been declined.

Kiddo will be in RI in a week and I am trying to arrange to have a current PLME kid give him a tour. Both he and my husband are vaccinated so fingers crossed someone accepts my request.

5 Likes

@dblazer

Have you looked at other criteria besides IM matches before concluding AMC as low tier?

It can vary from school to school. For example at Brown Alpert a lot are inclined to go to IM (to be followed up with fellowships), so for someone looking for say surgery or radiology, may not be a great fit or even appear low tier, but does it make that any lesser school?

To repeat myself, I have known someone, an alum of RPI/AMC finishing up 7th year neurosurgery residency else where and lined up for fellowship. Few others also recalled in last year’s thread how successful their acquaintances had been going to specializations like Otolaryngology (ENT), Orthopedic and Cancer Care. Couple of students in last year’s cycle gave up their slots in places like Duke to take up RPI/AMC. RPI in particular is known to be rigorous academically as well as generous financially, a rare combination.

I urge whoever is deciding to visit both the places, evaluate the financial deals and go by the feel of where they feel more comfortable spending next 7-8 years instead of just checking some lists and coming to conclusions.

2 Likes

I am just curious :wink:

Congratulations !!! and all the very best at NJIT/NJMS.
If you have not already, please share your stats+ perspectives in the Results thread

1 Like

@rk2017
I don’t believe it is particularly controversial to state that AMC a low tier school. There’s a reason they don’t submit their data to USNWR and it’s probably because they know where they stand.

Of course there are people who subspecialize into competitive surgical specialties at AMC, but that is the case at the vast majority of USMD schools including low-tier schools so that doesn’t really indicate much about the reputation of the school in comparison to others. What I think is more telling is the quality of the programs individuals from a particular medical school match into. The reason I like to look at IM is that it is by far the most popular specialty, and generally attracts the full range of applicants from a particular school (both top performers and average students) so you can really get a snapshot of what caliber programs an institution is sending their students to. It’s certainly not perfect, but I have found the IM match results to be fairly consistent with USNWR rankings so I like it as a psuedo-objective way to compare schools.

Now I agree that certain schools can have departments that are stronger than thier overall reputations (i.e. Jefferson is affiliated with top ophtho and ortho program despite being a mid-tier institution), and I am unfamiliar with the particular strengths of AMC, but I believe the safer choice in general is to select the institution that has the overall better reputation rather than the one that may have a stronger subspecialty department.