Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. This proves exactly what i was saying about different paths, different choices - everyone has a different view of what makes them happy!

1 Like

Hello @bsmdbuff
In the BSMD offer letter, I recall RSOM mentioned arranging opportunities for participating in research, volunteer activities at the medical center, and other programs that will benefit career and personal development. You may want to check with them directly regarding more about the research opportunities they are going to provide.
You may also want to talk to current students in BSMD students in both colleges to compare and see which one suits your needs best. Good luck!

1 Like

True, but I still donā€™t call it declaring independence :joy:

I would say SBU. Its undergrad is great especially for science majors and research. The hospital is absolutely amazing, you will definitely have great experiences there. There is a 3 year option for the med school, and I know some students who have taken this 3 year option say it is totally feasible(if the whole 7 vs 8 years matters to you). Connections there are great, and so are residency match rates

1 Like

I had similar decision to make, BU SMED vs Stony Brook. I agree that BU is definitely less flexible and way more stressful. Ultimately I am choosing Stony Brook. These programs should be about experience and not just prestige. Congrats to you!!!

5 Likes

Last 4 years we have been hearing that BU is piece of cake and SMED students are doing better than traditional path matriculants in MCAT and GPA. Did you hear differently?

@srk2017 -
I was not talking about declaring independence. I was instead talking about - US Declaration of Independence, signed on July 4, 1776. written by 3rd US president, Thomas Jefferson.

ā€œLife, Liberty and the pursuit of Happinessā€ is a right of every citizen under the United States Declaration of Independence. Each person can decide what makes them happy and pursue their life accordingly.

You can just google this -Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness - Wikipedia

1 Like

@charhat - Congratulations on your admission & decision. Wish you the very best for your future!

Congratulations!

Please share your stats + perspectives in the results thread.

How about Cost part?

Congratulations!
Please share your stats + perspectives in the results thread.

Again I donā€™t see how it is related to selecting BSMD. I always said there is no one path and I tried to debate pros and cons but also donā€™t hesitate to refute extremely biased views.

I was referring to curriculum and stress only

Are rochesterā€™s internal medicine match rates good/top tier. I want to go into gastro and am trying to figure out please answer honselty

Here is the link to URochesterā€™s match list.

I would say they look strong with matches to Yale, Duke, Icahn, Rochester, etc.

Remember - your efforts to achieve your goals is the single biggest contributor to your success.

1 Like

@grtd2010 @srk2017 and @NoviceDad Thank you!!!

For those that got into NJIT/NJMS did you get a formal letter in the mail yet? I feel like mine may have gotten lost in the mail.

I agree itā€™s a solid list. Other than Duke I donā€™t see any T10s though and does it matter to you?. As you know none of the BSMD programs are T10 (except Pitt which is T20 as per USNWR and T10 as per PDs).

Here is the list top IM programs

Can you please share the match list for Temple. Couldnā€™t find it myself. TIA.

Yale?

BTW - 2019 match list has UPMC, NU and other strong programs.