Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

I am leaning towards SLU.

1 Like

Someone applied to UMich SOM with a GPA of 1.41 ???:flushed::face_with_raised_eyebrow::roll_eyes: I would be curious as to the rest of the story behind thatā€¦

@NoviceDad - Likely related to COVID-19 pandemic. Job opportunities in many sectors are limited. Healthcare is one of those where this is not necessarily the case. The increase in med school applications can be seen nationwide.

Seems like UMich either loves gap years or Ivy league. DS and 2 girls I know who also got multiple top tier admissions didnā€™t even get interview. My friendā€™s D who went to UMich got admission after 1 gap year.

Thank you @NoviceDad

1 Like

BTW - that file data is 5 years old.

The file data is 5 years old.

We have seen a steady increase in medical school applicants in past 5 years.

My data is current cycle :slight_smile:

Certainly understand your curiosity about that low GPA. But remember any SOM canā€™t stop any applicant from applying as long as it has met AMCAS application criteria. I would pay attention to more interviewed and admission offered data.
In general someone who has low GPA, may have high MCAT or something extra ordinary that prompts interview offer. So low GPA is not necessarily a death sentence.

Here is latest 5 years data https://medicine.umich.edu/medschool/sites/medicine.umich.edu.medschool/files/files/tracker/UMHS11838_5YearAdmissInfographic2020.pdf

One can get to that link from https://medicine.umich.edu/medschool/education/md-program/our-community/students-faculty/admitted-class-profile

UMich is in different league among choices @Indiglo have.

You have to weigh in the chances of your C being in the top 15% of the student body (corresponding to magna cum laude level) at UVA, especially as an ORM applicant to med schools.

Not sure if TJ ranks their students, and if your C is in the top 20-25% of the student body there and is willing to maintain the same intensity of competition while also balancing the ECs for next 4 years, UVA should be just fine.

I have earlier mentioned about one student I heard of at UVA, 523 on MCAT and managed to get just one admission to one of the safeties. Most likely that was the issue, not being the top of the class at UVA.

1 Like

I will agree with you.
If they come off the waitlist, opt for UMich.
Till that time, I maintain, Pitt, Case, and Rochester should be explored further.

@SpeedSkater

I see you posted the reply on the results thread. Thank you and good luck at VCU!

Only 15.5% matriculated directly from UG to University of Michigan SOM. What a dismal statistics ? Are their own UG students at University of Michigan, not graduating in 4 years ( ~ 25% of the class) ? Why 1-2 gaps years needed ?
@Indiglo Do not go to University of Michigan even if out of waitlist.

15.5% is actual better statistics among top SOMs.

Question here is among choices @Indiglo have. UMich UG provides better UG experience than others. Potential UMich SOM admission is cherry on icing if one can achieve that.
One should also look at outcome of UMich UG to medical schools.

https://careercenter.umich.edu/article/um-graduatesā€™-medical-school-application

@bamd2023 - Go for SLU SOM since cost wise it is the same as UVA
With SLU you potentially have 3 options (more than with UVA)

1. One SLU SOM after successful interview
  2. You can apply out after SLU UG if you feel confident about getting into upper tier med schools.
  3. In case, you donā€™t get selected for SLU SOM and are unsuccessful after/before interview, you can still apply out & see if you can get into other lower tier med schools.

SLU med scholars students will get interview if they meet as per the link-

• Maintain the cumulative 3.65 GPA & 3.65 STEM GPA (also some science course requirement)
  • Take the MCAT (MCAT requirement seems less than average)
1 Like

The Univ of Michigan UG accepteeā€™s stats are close to national average and can be easily achieved at VCU (in-state with full scholarship) or any other school. Why pay OOS for University of Michigan with 1-2 gap year for their SOM (OOS tuition) ?

@SpeedSkater - I noticed you posted update in Results forum. Congratulations on VCU GMed program and for full UG scholarship. In addition to being in state, you have a chance to apply out and try for top tier med schools as well, if interested. You clearly had a lot of wonderful list of acceptances so probably found it hard to decide. Overall, a good choice :raised_hands:

Wish you the very best for your future at VCU GMed and beyond :+1:

1 Like

Here is Official AAMC data as a GPA-MCAT grid with a probability of at least one medical school acceptance.

1 Like