Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

@grtd2010 Thank you!

Yes, short-track speedskating has its own level of risk like any other activity…lol. While we are on the subject, here’s more information about my sport. There’s also a ton of strategy involved when negotiating every corner, in every race, and at times even when and where one competes. My first lesson was to learn my strengths and weaknesses (my starts suck and my strategy changes for venues at higher altitudes.)

Secondly, qualifications (for a National Championship, National Team, or Olympic trials) are always based on cumulative points. And so, the competition is never about one race. You have to come out clean in three distances. In some races, the tiebreakers are the longest distance, and in a few highest finishes. Situations have also been strange…I’ve come first in a race and failed to qualify for the next level. Then there has been a time when I’ve never finished first in any race and still qualified to be part of the national team.

Finally, we learned to race the way we race because our goals were also different. Many did it just for the fun, some were happy with a medal or two at a regional level, the motivated few wanted to wear the coveted stars and stripes skin-suit and then there’s one girl I know who wouldn’t stop until she medaled at the Olympics (the closest she came was a 14th place finish and that was also the closest United States came to winning a medal in short-track speedskating in 2018 Olympic Winter Games.) We never judged or looked down on anyone based on their intentions. For me, I’ve retired from the sport knowing that I gave it all the last 10 years of skating and I had fun doing it. And, I did it for myself and not to prove anything to the rest of the world.

Almost forgot… my bird-in-hand decision! Yes, it is a tailored one that fits me and my family. Ivies and the T10 schools sound great. But, I’d have taken ANY reasonable BS/MD program in a heartbeat over them. At VCU, I’m sure I can qualify to do what I want to become (a pediatrician someday) while listening to my cardinal sing. You are right, I had Columbia and Yale as alternatives. They were my safety schools anyways (I kid, I kid!) :rofl:

8 Likes

Too bad, all this non stop bashing of this BS/MD path is not convincing enough folks here, huh! :slight_smile:

@SpeedSkater Thanks for enlightening on your sport. Skating has been always a sport to watch in winter olympics. The observation was that you seems not to be a risk-averse person but you chose a risk-averse option when came to your higher education. Ha Ha, Ivies are your safeties !!!. Good Luck to you at VCU GMED.

1 Like

Responding to @grtd2010 post in the results thread - I actually did post my stats (I replied to my stats and results post with my reflection post since I posted it later).

Just out of curiosity, why do you think I am not an ORM?

The guess was based on your user handle may be for “grace winslow”
, obviously not a good clue. Just another observation, your stats are posted in result thread but hard to find unless one click on your “user handle”. Best of Luck to you at BU SMED.

Haha I actually never heard of her until now. My post is probably more toward the beginning of the thread, so future applicants scrolling down should still be able to see it. Thank you! I will update y’all in a few years on how SMED goes.

@SpeedSkater
I enjoyed reading your post and thanks for enlightening us with skating.
So fun to watch (I dare to try!). Actually I wondered what did I learn anything after college in the last 40 years. Interestingly after waiting every weekend for hours when my C was learning indoor skating, one day I also tried and gave up and finally learnt to skate (but only indoor). Now in bay area nothing but builders and that skate place which was there for many decades gone 15 years back. I am scared to try on paved road, since if I fall my old bones crack!
The only other thing I learn actually took 1.5 years but I did not quit, which is hula hoop and have a better record than my C (17 minutes non stop) and I used to tease her by boasting about this, just for fun.

1 Like

One of my childhood friends (both high school and engineering college classmate) did try to checkout his skills along with his tween daughter who was taking skating classes, injured either his ankle or knee and had to visit the physio therapist for few months.

@mywish4u

Regarding your open post in the results thread, I think it was intended for @mygrad2021. It is usually a good idea to tag a poster by including their name handle (like I have addressed you here) if you need any specific information.

1 Like

Yes, it was intended for @mygrad2021 and he/she was kind to respond.
Good idea to explicitly tag the person. Thank you.

1 Like

All parents and students

If you have made a decision, please share your profile and experiences in the RESULTS thread.
It will help future parents and students like us.

2 Likes

@grtd2010 I see what you are insinuating about my choice in the context of risk-taking. But, my program of choice is a BS/MD, not an Ivy or T10. The light at the end of the tunnel with a BS/MD program keeps my focus. The guarantee gives me the freedom to do things for the next 8 years that will make me a better pediatrician rather than things that will hone my resume for my next application. In my case, risk only comes from not knowing what I’m doing and I don’t mind not taking it. :slight_smile:

I’ve been here through two application cycles and have to come to understand the randomness in the process, first hand. I bombed four interviews last cycle. The biggest risk I took was to take a gap year even after having a great list of UG schools to go to and come back stronger this year. I wanted it so bad that I became a nursing assistant during a pandemic taking care of COVID-19 patients while on night shifts at places in bad neighborhoods and all this against my parents’ wishes. Interviews got easier after this experience and it reflected in the results.

Also in these two application cycles, I’m yet to see the pattern of applicants saying that they LOVE a program/university and that’s the ONLY program they will apply to. All of us who apply randomly to multiple programs/universities (me including) are all throwing things hoping that one or two will stick. Ironically, I’ve seen some of the same people say that school rankings don’t matter! On the contrary, my friend applied only to UGA because she’s been all UGA since she learned to talk! It’s not the best school by any stretch in anything really, but it’s the best choice for her. (She’s also a candidate that would have gotten into at least one T20 school if she’d wished for one.) We all want different things and also have reservations around them. Then there are people who know what they want and go after that one thing with no safety net. Now, that’s something that I can respect!

@GoldenRock Hulahoop is NOT easy!!! Respeck

8 Likes

@SpeedSkater

Thanks for bringing the sport of Speedskating alive for us. I am sure it will be inspiring to the next generation aspirants.

Speedskating (or path to pediatrician or life itself) as you explained so eloquently, requires strategy and planning with the larger goal in mind. In order to be successful at the goal, it is not necessary to win each of the steps on the way but to compete to the best of your ability. Even to be in the running requires talent, hard work and perseverance.

IMO - VCU was a great choice with full ride at UG and in-state for SOM. You will be close to your family (this itself is very valuable). VCU SOM is a solid school and also allows students to apply out if they choose to do so.

LOL- every year students joining bsmd’s do choose these over other T10 schools. This is similar to choosing UPenn over Brown/Columbia acceptance. After all a student can only decide to attend only one school. The term “safety” has a different meaning to each student - each student wants something different!

1 Like

@GoldenRock Coincidentally I do see a lot of patients with distal radius fractures in all age groups post skating!

Bashing huh!!! Only thing thats close to bashing we have seen last four years is fear mongering with incomplete failure stories about traditional path and ridiculous statements about how students in one program are outsmarting everyone else is in the country.

1 Like

Yes, key is picking reasonable BSMD program. Most here are spending 500k+ to avoid risk on the programs which are definitely not worth the cost. I know your situation is different.

Yes, traditional path requires you to do things for applications just like doing same things in HS for BSMD and medical school for residency. Yes application process is random since each has their own requirements and don’t disclose. But we’ll rounded kids are getting multiple T10 admissions.

2 Likes

Every student who got BSMD also has a T10 admission is an incorrect statement. Also not all T10s are good for premed. Again no one needs vindication from others about the BSMD choice they made. We are all here to debate pros and cons but ultimately the decision is student’s with parental guidance or check book. None of us should be cheerleading squad for BSMD or Traditional path :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well on sports- My son had good soccer skills and was offered to play for Clarkson ( the highest ranking school where he could have played soccer that he loved since 3- We were in France when he picked soccer skills). RPI other school was close but the coach made a fool of us forcing us to visit few times ( and pay!) and then tells us that he has good skills but is not physically built or has speed like Americans ( every school soccer coach values brain, physique, foot skills etc. in a different way).
He finally told us that once he joins RPI, he can come to try out ( soccer practice starts in summer for offered players but others can try out in August for fall season).

Although a part of him wanted to play soccer badly, he decided not to join Clarkson. Not sure if he would have joined RPI if was offered.

My D born in France also is a good soccer player ( and basketball); however, she is smarter than son and having burnt via him in spending lot of time in soccer, we had learned the lesson. She was spending too much time in Varsity Soccer/Basketball not to mention academy clubs. She herself stopped BB and continued soccer ( that she also loves but no match to sons skills). We did not visit tonnes of Schools for soccer that I did for son. She just did a ID camp in 9th grade at an IVY.

All my sons and daughters academy club teammate played (Mostly White) or will play for college (D’ s 2 close friends will play D1).

Bottomline, if you are passionate about sports, US is awesome. Not sure what son would be doing if he had joined Clarkson!!

1 Like

Lots of discussion about TJ and other GPA/MCAT bragging reminds me of character Chatur Mahalingam from movie 3 Idiots that I happen to watch after a long time again.

@PPofEngrDr - please re-read the posts of TJ. They were not about bragging in fact opposite of it.
Your post reminds me of the principal who takes everything the wrong way in 3 idiots!
LOL!:rofl:

1 Like