Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

Sorry- Didnt see the joke- RPI/NYU engg. ( and perhaps many only engg schools) love having more females and give tonnes extra $$$. They didnt budge for son but were ready to offer anything for D. If needed, someone surely should take extra $$$- Wish regular top schools did that!!

Also inspite not requesting, RPI extended acceptance date to May 15 ( perhaps for all who did not put deposit)- Dont remember for son.

1 Like

@mak2000 - Congratulations to your C and the proud family on RPI/AMC bs/md with scholarship.

Thank you also for sharing your stats + perspectives in the results thread. I don’t believe that your C has low SAT scores. Infact she/he is like most BSMD applicants - with pretty strong profile.
Even with perfect scores, I have seen that the students have more rejections (than acceptances) for BS/MDs. I rather think that the difficulty is due to the unpredictable nature of the admissions. Infact I am guessing that colleges might be looking for diverse student body which has coverage for variety of experience/unique talent. They might also be looking for some demonstrated interest since they want to give seats to students who are more likely to accept. This is the reason why essays, interview and demonstrated interest become important factors for admission

2 Likes

@Vicky2019 @grtd2010 @NoviceDad @rk2017 Thank you all for your wishes.

@Vicky201. Going in, we were expecting many supplemental or initial UG interview and forward to med school. Looks like DD got eliminated mostly in the initial screening. We were thinking low SAT score could be the reason for the knock out. I agree that admission process is very unpredictable. It could be due to COVID year competition. Or kids from same region high schools knocking each other out. Lot of other super strong ORMs. So many factors.

2 Likes

Just curious were you able to apply test optional? I applied test optional because my SAT was not great :sweat_smile: and that seemed to help me get past initial screening, but I feel like your D’s stats were really so I don’t see why’d they demerit her for a 1530 :roll_eyes: admissions can be superficial but I guess they gotta be to go fast enough :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

@mak2000 From previous years posts, a SAT score of 1530 is low for most NJMS feeder schools to forward to NJMS, IMO. Folks here can speculate whatever they want. There may be some merit to the fact that there may be a unspoken limit on how many applicants are forwarded/interviewed from one high school. Are you from NJ ?

IMO, it is the competitive nature of the ORM category of applicants. They have enough candidates with near perfect stats and other desirable goods. This may not apply to other category of applicants (non-ORMs).

1 Like

@mak2000 - I went back to look at your DD stats. A few students didn’t submit their test scores at all this cycle. @jawacat mentioned applying test optional. Another kid got into UPitt GAP even with test optional this cycle as well

Many BSMD’s use a combination of factors for the initial screen IMO. They do look for students to be in top 5 % of the class or at least top 10% of the class. 1530 SAT in combination of class rank might have impacted. Like @grtd2010 mentioned ORM’s are held to higher standard.

I however did notice that your DD has 1200 hours of volunteering that resulted in her Presidential award - this is great! At RPI, she will be able to get a lot of UG research (also they mandate it) which is a plus for her BSMD program.

Tomorrow is his graduation from college (his dual enrollment program) and he is giving the commencement speech. I will be sobbing the whole time.

And bonus good news today- just awarded a $7k annual scholarship renewal for 4 years. Sadly Brown’s financial aid setup means he will just see this as a reduction in his institutional aid but it is exciting to see the reward for all those applications paying off!!

6 Likes

Congratulations!!!
He deserves every bit of this.

1 Like

Congrats!! Hard work pays off!

1 Like

@grtd2010 and @Vicky2019 in your opinion, what SAT/ACT score range is good for non-ORMs female?

@Nm2022 - With BS/MD process or with any selective colleges, its very hard to come up with SAT/ACT range. Every year, it will depend on the student pool applying to a particular college. Colleges usually are looking for diversity but say several non ORM students applied, then they are likely to pick the kids with the best stats. In STEM colleges, a girl non ORM student might have better chance than a boy non-ORM with lower SAT scores

Just as a guess & as an example -
lets say if a score of 34-36 or 1530-1600 score is needed for ORMs, for non-ORMs it might drop a little bit to 30-34 ACT or 1450-1530 SAT, with higher score for better chance.

The range will differ every year, for every college, based on the applicant pool.

Thanks @Vicky2019

1 Like

@Nm2022 As @Vicky2019 pointed out it varies, but it would be a little lower than what is expected of ORMs. For ORMs, a SAT score >= 1550 or (ACT >= 35) is desirable, IMO.

2 Likes

While I agree with @Vicky2019 at a broad level and range, based on the observations over the past few years for non URMs among non ORMs, I recommend top 2% ile SAT/ACT ranges and above, corresponding to 1500 or 33 respectively.

Again scores are one aspect of the matrix. Your essays reflecting your background, motivation and exposures, any unique life situations, the competition from other top students within your high school, anything unique that can make one stand out, luck etc all contribute to overall outcomes.

2 Likes

How does ORM and URM impact chances? I’m kinda confused on how it works as I am neither :sweat_smile: I suppose it doesn’t pertain to me in that sense but I’m just curious because it gets talked about a lot on this thread and I don’t think I understand the full scope of race/minority impact. Would that mean that someone who is over represented such as a white male has an equally likely chance of getting in as an ORM? Also how does personal experience with medicine, such as a medically complicated relative, impact chances?

ORM is mostly Asian ethnicity (again, not all asian)

1 Like

Following AAMC Tables hopefully get some understanding on MCAT Scores and GPAs for Applicants and Matriculants to U.S. Medical Schools by Race/Ethnicity, 2020‐2021. You can relate this data to ORM/URM impact chances in undergrad/BSMD admissions too.

1 Like

I have to decide whether I want to join Case Western’s PPSP program or Penn State’s PMM program today. What are some characteristics I should look for to help me decide, and what would you guys suggest? Thanks

Case western med school has better reputation, more competitive to get into and probably easy access to Cleveland clinic and other medical facilities during undergrad. But you need to spend 4 years on undergrad. Assume you have got some kind of price breaks for the undergrad there.

Are you instate for Penn State undergrad? One not only saves on tuition and fees at Penn State for a year since accelerated, if one has enough AP/IB credits, can potentially save on tuition for additional year. Though Jefferson is not as reputed as Case western’s, it is well regarded for certain medical specialties for residency.

Have you visited both the campuses? Where do you feel more comfortable spending the next 7 or 8 years? What were the vibes you had during both your interviews and any interactions with the students at these places?