Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

D needs help, she was accepted to Upstate via UAlbany and Hofstra BS/MD and she has to choose between both

1 Like

Thatā€™s hard to digest! Law of averages should have favored you by now. I wish something to come your way soon!

You can check the UG degree requirements at NJIT for your chosen major and Honors college requirements.

When is UG degree granted ?
ā€œFollowing successful completion of the first year of medical school (at the latest), the bachelorā€™s degree (Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts, depending upon the major) is conferred by NJIT. Following completion of the seventh total year in the program, the Medical Doctor (M.D.) degree is conferred by New Jersey Medical School.ā€
A sample BA(Biology)
https://catalog.njit.edu/undergraduate/science-liberal-arts/biology/ba/
A sample BS(Biology)
https://catalog.njit.edu/undergraduate/science-liberal-arts/biology/bs/

NJIT will not grant a degree until all degree requirements are met. Usually medical school (MS1) courses fulfill some Biology electives credit requirements.
If you opt out, you have to complete those electives at NJIT. You can not matriculate to another medical school without a UG degree, IMO.

Sorry to hear that. Are there any decisions pending?

UCSF is ranked on the top pf residency director rankings so moving anywhere is not also a issue
as some spec have top programs in east coast

One interview pending, yes. And then PLME which is most likely a no anyway.

Both Hofstra and Upstate are good choices and I believe Upstate is more cost effective.

You might have seen the MS1-2 curriculum for Hofstra, their teaching philosophy is different. Its not traditional organ based, but more of case-based/problem-based in small groups rather than lecture based (check out PEARLS in their program, if you have not yet).

You will have good EC/Research opportunities at both schools because of the location advantage. Hofstra is smaller and UAlbany is large. Hofstra needs MCAT and Upstate does notā€¦and so on.

Choice is good to have! Choose wisely where your DC and your pocket will be happy!

2 Likes

thank you. we hope so too.

Good Luck with it. All you need is one acceptance.

same hereā€¦very disappointed and bs/md hope has ended, hopefully you will get thru the waitlist. Only got SUNY and UMKC interviews and rejections from both. Have UCSD, SLU MSP and URoch but not keen on any of them, few more to come but feeling like nothing is going right as we are already end of March and nothing I was hoping has really come through.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that.

I hear your disappointment! Sorry. You do have SLU Med Scholars to cheerā€¦its not as bad as debated.

You can still keep the hope on Upstate as its rolling acceptances. Did they inform you via email that you have been rejected? As far I know, they only informed accepted folks. Except those rejected explicitly, everyone else goes onto a priority list that they may consider with 3rd wave of results expected in April.

1 Like

If you donā€™t mind, when did your daughter interview for hofstra?

Yes, got an explicit rejection

Congrats on your accepances!
Hofstra is a relatively new medical school. Itā€™s a case-based curriculum, they put the M1 students right in front of patients in the first week itself. Needs 510 MCAT score in the first sitting, since they are asking for MCAT score they let you apply elsewhere. Per SDN reviews, the location isnā€™t great. You may want to drive around to get familiar with the location, if you havenā€™t been there, and if thatā€™s a concern at all. You need to have a bigger pocket to pay Hofstraā€™s tuition fees. :slight_smile: Sorry I didnā€™t do much research on UAlbany. Other excepts here can shed some light on this.
Can you please let us know when was your Hofstra interview date?

Residencies

While having an in-house residency program helps, where students get residencies depends a whole lot on MS4 away-rotations.
These away-rotations are a good way to put yourself out to the programs you are interested in doing residency.
Most Program Directors do not extend residency interviews to a student who has not rotated through their program.

So, while having a in-house residency program definitely helps, do not worry too much about how many residency specialties an in-house program has. More relevant question - do they support you in your search for away rotations?

Congrats to everyone who got into UMKC & Hofstra.

Sorry for the rejections, may be a better opportunity awaits you at the end, may be a top tier med school thru traditional med path; Through my experience, my son was more disappointed than us but he did not show. We should be as strong for them so they remain strong. This experience for sure made my son have thick skinšŸ¤—

3 Likes

So, what basis would one compare FAU med school with NJMS ?
Thank you

Congrats to all who got into UMKC and Hofstra. And students who are reporting disappointment from their BSMD journey - donā€™t worry, donā€™t let your dreams die with it. Keep working hard and you will achieve what you dream for.

1 Like