Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

My D did not apply to Hosftra so I don’t have much knowledge of it. Some info that I read from this forum which I felt unfavorable (as compared to other BSMD) - high cost, newer college and MCAT score needed from single sitting. But if it is the only BSMD you have in hand, then it might be fine to join if MD is your final destination.

Accepted to GW/GW!!!

11 Likes

Notified separately and believe BSMD came on 03/20.

Please patent your Idea = BSMDCoin and sell it Elon Musk.
If it becomes a scam, we will call it “elongate”! :wink:

1 Like

Congrats! Anyone else got into GW/GW?
D’s decision - accepted in GW UG (not BSMD) with $25000/year for 5 years.

4 Likes

Happens a lot with traditional path.

Take Stanford or Ivies or T20 with merit otherwise take BSMD. I have a simple rule, if you are capable of getting into those with academic performance and level headed I see no reason for not to repeat same after 4 years. IF not, PLME > REMS=BU. Only advantage with BU is better city and better weather.

1 Like

In that case, your MD portion will have to be self-funded.

Current MD/PhD is fully funded for all 8 years - 4 MD + 4 PhD.

My advice would be to touch base with someone in the most recent BS/MD results thread. He gave up Stanford to take REMS. Private message and compare notes with him.
BU’s seems to be a better program though.

You may want to look back at your aims and expectations from college, medical school and post-medicine life.

REMS is very much comparable to BU and Brown. Would it meet your definition of “an elite BS/MD program”?

According to some BU is the top program :crazy_face:

1 Like

Hofstra:

Very good medical school
Undergrad is more like a party school.

Suggest speak to current students there - it will only help you.

HE GOT IN!!!
:partying_face::partying_face::raised_hands:t2::raised_hands:t2::raised_hands:t2:

And a $18k a year Presidential scholarship
Financial aid update: another $17k merit so $35k total

11 Likes

Is that his top choice then?

Choices contingent upon Ivy Day

1. Harvard (tbd)
  2. PLME

If not he will probably accept the BA/MD. With the scholarship, his dad’s GI bill, and the college fund, all 7 years will cost him $0

4 Likes

You need to lay out your criteria and what you like and dislike about each college/program.

Also, I suggest review the methodology behind what ever ranking you are using - that will help you ascertain the weightages they apply to different factors are aligned to the ones you would apply.

2 Likes

Congratulations!!!
Very happy for you as you have stated this is his top choice.

1 Like

@SeekingAdvice123 Reach out to @narkor who is a physician and whose D just graduated from REMS UG and moving to MD part of it from BS/MD program to get a first hand feedback.

Very good info and interesting points. But due to reality of funding it appears they are splitting the current way which is not beneficial to your point. Anyhow money and passion don’t go hand in hand most of the time. My D praised about some of the Prof and so happy but was devastated when she came to know about their salary (like $70k or so). Entry level IT students get that much, even if they come from a different country but excellent profs with 30-40 years of teaching with Ph.D get such a low amount. Life goes on.
Heard from a Stanford teaching staff that in general 3 days or so research, 1 day clinical and 1 day teaching.

Any input on NJMS vs GW?