Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

U Miami reg decision out a few minutes ago, but no mention of HPM. Has anyone heard from this program?

1 Like

GW if not the price difference is not huge (free ride vs partial). The location itself is worth spending the extra, even though the med schools may be identical.

As mentioned earlier few cycles back C used to bump into fellow applicant at the interviews, open houses, info sessions etc. S/he got into about half a dozen 7 year programs, some of them more reputed than GW’s but chose to go there. Of course proximity may have been a factor, but am sure not the only factor.

1 Like

is PLME better? I looked at med school rankings and i think rochester beats it but i will definitely take your advice

Purely on ranking Brown is ranked lower than REMS but everyone raves about Brown UG experience. If you have any clue (I know it’s too early) about specialty (don’t say neurosurgery :slight_smile: ) look up the match data.
Here is a graph I found today about competitive fields.

1 Like

wow case is really number one then

Don’t be so fast, check the class size.

@SeekingAdvice123 - There are a lot of criteria based on which people can select but ultimately you can only select from the options you have on hand. What other options do you have in the hand? Other general questions to think about -

• What about financing REMS for 8 years? Is this acceptable/doable for your family?
  • Rochester weather would be harsh and pretty quiet town as well. Is this ok if you stayed there for 8 years?
  • How far is it to your home state?

Ultimately, congratulations on Rochester REMS admission offer. Its one of the best BSMDs IMO.

As per usnews -
University of Rochester Undergrad is ranked No. 34
University of Rochester is ranked No. 34 (tie) in Best Medical Schools: Research and No. 16 in Best Medical Schools: Primary Care

@mom2boys1999 - Congratulations to your S and the proud family :partying_face:

1 Like

@medman16 - Congratulations! on getting accepted to both NJMS and GW/GW

IMO, for BSMDs, both UG and Med school experience should be considered. I would pick GW/GW since its undergrad is better.

Other factors -

• what is the feeder for NJMS?
  • what is the cost difference? Usually NJMS provides good merit aid!
  • location wise, which seems better for you?
  • which of these seems like a better fit?
1 Like

So going by this data, the best BS/MD programs when looking at matching into top specialties are CWRU, Baylor, and VCU

I really look forward to some feedback from any one on this forum.

My DC has an acceptance from VCU BS/MD program with a very good scholarship. I would like to hear pros and cons about this program, if there are any members who have personal experiences. I appreciate your help in this.

1 Like

Don’t go by one year data, look at multiple years, class size and where they are matching.

same here!

Am in the same boat^^. Any advice on VCU would be great.

@RR3600 - The same thing happened during previous cycle as well! Congratulations to you. Now you have a few options to choose from!

The purpose of the results thread was to reach out to specific individuals to get direct feedback. So check old results thread and who got enrolled in specific school of interest like VCU or REMS or AMC etc and send a PM/DM. If they respond clarify all your questions to make your decision. There are at least 5+ years results thread are there.

1 Like

If money is not a factor, which is better: PLME or BU BSMD?
Med school ranking better for BU in US News World, but worse in that Reddit post earlier this week

Do you mind sharing where your C is doing BA/MD? Are you happy with it?

I will PM you this time unlike last time when you asked to do so :slight_smile:

Go to Brown, get Ivy legacy and have kid enjoy 4 years of UG. No need to rush is my philosophy. Check for match data for last 4 years.