Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

Hello! I’m a high school senior, and I was recently accepted to BU SMED! I’ve also received acceptances to Yale and Columbia. I’m wondering what path is best to medical school–BSMD or traditional Ivy to med school. Without looking at cost of attendance, what would you suggest I do? I’m still waiting on Pitt and PLME, as well as Harvard and Stanford.

8 Likes

If cost is no factor, I’d choose Yale out of current options and if you get Harvard or Stanford, choose among those 3.

1 Like

Congrats! So her bad BU interview with medical faculty was not worth stressing out so much after all !
My D get in as well.

If you guys haven’t got the BU SMED 2028 facebook link yet, PM me! The older SMEDs seem really willing to help out

1 Like

I know why you said Yale :crazy_face: but I agree. However I would take H or S over Yale for premed.

1 Like

Congrats, your D2 outperformed D1. Hope you still be around for few years and help next batches and post in experience thread since I am retiring end of this cycle.

This may be a silly question, but is it worth fretting over medical school ranking and match rates going into college, especially if the BSMD is non-binding?

Big-picture, BU is already an excellent medical school that will keep most of the doors open to you, so even if you went through the traditional route and get into a better med school, the difference in ranking most likely wouldn’t amount to much. But HYPS are exceptional schools and the undergraduate experience would likely be more fulfilling than at BU. You’d obviously have to work hard, but the success you’ve had up to this point indicates that you would succeed in the traditional path if you continue your current trajectory.

1 Like

No

You may want to look at those things if you have multiple BS/MD offers and are deciding where to join.

1 Like

Yale and Stanford are both superior experiences to Harvard. Those in the know will back me up on that one. :wink:

Congrats on you DD’s admission.

My DD’s second interview (with MED School) went exceptionally well and the interviewer asked her to email them her resume and also communicated with her a bit. That seems to have been in her favor, and we’re not sure if first interview was intentional stress test. In any case, we are delighted and relieved to have been offered an admission!

2 Likes

I will stick around but we will miss your wisdom a lot here!

1 Like

Congratulations to your D and the proud family!

Congratulations to your DD and the proud family!!!

1 Like

Not everyone that intends to apply out actually applies out, and there are no guarantees of getting an admission even if you apply out. so I would recommend making sure you will be fine with the medical college that is part of the BSMD, in case that is where you end up matriculating to.

3 Likes

Congrats !!

1 Like

Today is a great day. 11 acceptances to BU SMED from cc :raised_hands:

@charhat, @karmayogi, @@highschooler1, @plantar, @medman16, @gracewins, @karmayogi, @ay2021 - Congratulations on BU SMED

@sam2024 - Congratulations on BU SMED with NMF

@coolparent21, @mygrad2021 - Congratulations on your C’s acceptance to BU with NMF scholarship.

6 Likes

Congrats @sam2024 for BU SMED (including NMF scholarship). May be I missed your post earlier. Anyone else got admitted to BU SMED with scholarship?

Congratulations! PSU Schreyer Honors college is a really good option for pre-med. This program attracts smart kids. Getting undergrad research, volunteering etc. is very easy if the kids ask. You also get scholarships. I would ask you to go for it.

Are you in-state? What other options do you have?

1 Like

It’s an individual choice. Some call it prestige obsession but others (like my S) like to be constantly challenged at every step and have loft goals like inventing a new medical technique that carries his name. If you are a kid who stresses out easily then it’s not worth it. You need perfect execution for all 4 years to get into T10 medical schools. You need to be comfortable with fellow UG students (intellectually). Despite all that success is not guaranteed since you can’t do everything given schools have different goals (research, community service, social justice etc…) . My S got 3 T5 but he was disappointed that he didn’t get the other 2 :grinning:.

There is no wrong or right answer/choice.

1 Like