Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

D got CMU Engg. today - ECE is topnotch and says double major in BME

3 Likes

I don’t believe in diagnostic stuff and S never took one in HS or college. My philosophy is do full content review and do al question in the review books and the take the diagnostic or full length test. Otherwise unnecessary panic may set in. S did officially 4 tests only and score moved from 99 percentile to 100 percentile between FL1 and FL4 so didn’t go for additional third party ones. Some kids need more practice. So one may need to plan accordingly and again never plan to repeat MCAT, most schools average.

1 Like

Sure, it is after you have taken the pre-med courses at college and done a full content review. Even AAMC has a 1/2 MCAT diagnostic type test plus FL1-FL4. The 1/2 MCAT AAMC can be tried after taking the most of science pre-requisites ( except may be a biochemistry course)

What is/are the best prep source(s)?

Depends on your study requirements. Some are very detailed so thick books. DS has no patience for those and wanted quick review. Kaplan is standard but there are few others, Princeton Review, Berkeley, ExamKrackers etc

1 Like

@compengineer1 - If a college (Columbia or PSU) claims something in their admission session or web page, then it could be both true and for marketing.

However, it will be interesting to know the details on how they are calculating (what is included and not included) when coming up with their figures

Which medical schools are these students getting into (top 50 or top 100 or top 200)?
Did the students considered were pre-med or all other majors?
Did the students have gap years and if so, how many?
Did the students were only UG or post graduate students?
Did the students considered have a 3.75 or above GPA?

Curious, how have you learned about acceptance to Yale and Columbia? Assuming you have applied REA to one of them, for the other you still need to wait till Ivy day, isn’t it? Or not all of them follow Ivy day religiously?

Probably received a likely letter

Add “UWorld for MCAT” for additional practice tests. UWorld is a gold standard for USMLE.

2 Likes

Just wondering does anyone have received rejection letters for NJIT/NJMS?

Pitt GAP

1 Like

@alwayshappy25 Take BS/MD as a stepping stone and remain always happy. SAT taken in sophomore year is too early. Both MCAT and MD application do it only once and take it only when you are 125% ready. Finish all your STEM premed and take enough practice test and do well. For MD for sure you need to address all the usual stuff including clinical volunteering. If you work hard from day 1, absolutely it is possible to get in to MD. GL.

3 Likes

Though a good student like you always has a shot at it, don’t count on EA at Rutgers (or anywhere). Depending on the size of the university, there can be 200-500 sophomores with great grades and ECs competing for 5-15 slots. But there is always a chance.

The drawback with Rutgers is that it is overcrowded beyond belief in core classes. Do you have admissions in any other state schools like TCNJ? The class sizes there tend to be much smaller, one gets better attention and likely to do well. TCNJ is considered more rigorous than Rutgers though, but their students seem to be doing quite well in med school selections. You need to be careful about the major too. Bio med engineering for example is considered a tough major across the board, but if medicine is not the only aim for you, that major can open up other opportunities in related areas.

1 Like

Thanks so much!!

I’m heavily considering the STEM program at Kean. In terms of research, finances, opportunity, etc. Kean seems to be the best in-state option

Def agree that EA shouldn’t be considered-- especially at Rutgers. Genuinely curious, other than the overcrowding and huge classes at Rutgers-NB Honors, what are some other pros/cons? I would be a Cell Bio Neuroscience major with hopes of minoring in music

@alwayshappy25
I believe your low scores SAT=1420 and somewhat better ACT=32 are very important factor in not receiving interviews.

Do can always be an open even in traditional route.
I would say - plan from Day 1 and work hard to get into an MD program via the traditional route.

1 Like

Thanks for the help!

Wish I could throw more light, but can’t. But if you stay focused think you will do fine at Rutgers. Don’t hesitate to reach out to TAs of the classes you are enrolled in. If you don’t get enough help, consider outside expert tutoring especially in core classes. Shouldn’t pinch since you will be saving substantially because of instate tuition. Lot of students seem to move out of dorms after first year to off campus to save on residence costs which is rather high. Also lot of students also take up to self cooking at least part of the semester when not too busy. You can consider joining fraternities of like minded focused students who can guide and motivate you.

1 Like

Ooh ok thanks!! Yeah it is probably the second cheapest school for me right now after Kean being completely free so that’s why I was intrigued.