Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

You should never plan to take more than once. MCAT has 2 non science sections so 50% is not science. It’s a long exam so tests your endurance. What other standardized tests you took? I am not trying to discourage you but need to be realistic. Some do struggle with MCAT.

So you had no clinical volunteering?

No, no clinical volunteering – perhaps that’s why. I took ACT (32)-- only was able to take it once. I took SAT II in Math and got a 780. AP exams all with 4s and 5s.

Thank you! I am instate, and for other options I have the USF/LECOM BS/DO program as well as some other public state schools(Rutgers, Pitt, etc…). I was wondering about the overall prestige of the program as well as typical pre-med resources at PSU since it really isn’t in a city.

Your ACT 32 is better looking score than SAT 1420 (~ ACT 30). You should have sent ACT 32 only. It is too late now.

Genuinely asking, how can we predict if we will struggle with MCAT right now?

Yeah I think I did send in my ACT to the places that allowed it.

Go to AAMC’s website. They may have some 1/2 MCAT test or Kaplan may provide your free diagnostic MCAT test. You can take that at the beginning of Fall 2021 and see how well you do. Most will score in 490-495 range at first. Then you can see your progress towards MCAT >= 515.

1 Like

Continuing on same topic, my D Only applied to NY and NJ MD colleges ( and Rice/Baylor) and was not invited for interview either by TCNJ or Rutgers Newark for NJMS. She never shadowed but had good R&D experience. Perhaps she should have gone via NJIT (only allowed by common app and she did not want to use NJIT). TCNJ/Rutgers were last moment decision as she was not keen in UG schools and learnt about those schools perhaps via CC.

On another note, she was invited for interview by most NY MD and awaits SBU decision. We are NY residents.

Are there certain trends here??

1 Like

With PSU being in-state, you should not hesitate to join PSU Shreyers Honors college.

For Volunteering, Shadowing, Research opportunities, see -
https://science.psu.edu/interdisciplinary-programs/premedicine/getting-involved

This link says that from the UG Premedicine majors who applied, about 70% were accepted to medical schools -

https://science.psu.edu/interdisciplinary-programs/premedicine/frequently-asked-questions

At Columbia Science Honors Program during one admission process session, D was told that Columbia has the highest number of kids selected to MD in country- Is it true? Or Marketing??

Hard to say. Generally speaking test taking itself is a skill. I don’t know how much you prepared and practiced. Given your ACT and other scores your are a decent test taker but not a very strong one. you may need much more prep to get above 515 in MCAT. You also need to be mentally prepared for DO.

1 Like

Take MCAT diagnostic test without any premed classes? Don’t scare the kid.

3 Likes

DC took it during freshman year in UG as a part a seminar course. IIRC, the score of the class were in 490-495 range ( Believe it was Kaplan’s free diagnostic test, MCAT ~500 is the mean).

Yeah lol I haven’t even taken any of the premed courses

Sure, IMO the point was how much of your high school science courses teach you that is applicable to MCAT.

Ohh ok makes sense. Thanks!

@alwayshappy25 - I am sorry to hear that not getting into BSMDs is really hard for you. It will hurt for a while but time will heal you.

Its important to remember that BSMD programs get a lot of top notch candidates for very few seats. There are no guarantees. therefore, it is important to cast your net widely, ie; apply to 15+ wide ranging BSMD programs

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the comforting words :slight_smile:

1 Like

@alwayshappy25

As your name implies, always be happy. In the long run and life, school is a small thing.

My son who thought was a good HS student struggled UG and thought of quitting- He enjoyed Austin though. With appropriate encouragement, he continued and 2 days back he has an internship with TSLA inspite avg. ECE student.

Bottomline, work hard and do your best. And whatever the result, have fun. Life is bigger than getting or not getting into one vs. other school. There is always a better option when one door closes.

Good luck and enjoy your UG wherever you go.

6 Likes

Thanks so much :slight_smile: