Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

I think PLME is unknown at this point. The choices mentioned were PMM (Penn State) and MIT. For ORM background kids getting into PLME has slimmer chances than getting into MIT.

2 Likes

I would not use that word choice :non-deserving!

Everyone that deserve/capable would not get an opportunity to these programs just because of limited seats. However, everyone who gotten into these programs all deserve them based on their entire application, not just stats.

If any BSMD is ok, then you should have casted a broader net. 6 is never enough. On the other hand, if you applied only to few selected schools and is willing to take regular route if not successful, then you gained all that experience a normal pre-med would not get. Your kid is miles ahead when she applies in regular route through AMCAS.

And you may also want to see how well your essays are reflecting what you want to convey. They are most important after Stats/EC cut-offs are met. Essays which we may think are awesome, some times are not as good. We experienced it. When we asked a friend of mine to review oursā€“what we thought awesome essays-- he poked so many holes into them and we have to redo them to an extent.

Good luck with your PLME decision, you never know! All you need is one.

3 Likes

I would recommend Brooklyn/Downstate over SLU if your D gets in. You havenā€™t mentioned the financials but if she got good price break SLU wonā€™t be a bad option either.

SLU gave close to 50% scholarshipā€¦I am guessing for UG.

@confident2021

For some BS/MD programs (that mechanically process) 3.9 UW gpa for ORMs may be too low, believe it or not. You are better off not getting into one such program than getting in. Your C will do just fine, donā€™t be disappointed, I am sure she will find the right fit and shine.

1 Like

I am sure its your grief talking, we never know what is ā€œinsideā€ of their portfolio, their essays might have been fantastic/genuine and other challenges they have overcome beside an amount of luck. Your D has awesome stats, its just a matter of time for her to shine.

3 Likes

We did not apply to downstate program either being instate. DD felt location is not right for her in general. So did not even do any research. But there are kids who think its fine and works well for them. Its all individual preference.

When websites are talking about medical school debt, are they referring to just tuition or the total cost of attendance? I read somewhere that many med school students graduate with debt of around 200-250k, and that seems very low if it is referring to the cost of attendance.

Trust me when I say non deserving thats excatly what I mean. This child that I know was banned from all math and sceince competitions for cheating, all science teachers banned him from getting recos from them, was banned from boys scout for vapping and then he gets into the best BSMD program. What could be in his profile so compelling for the Univ to accept him. This is only one example, I have two more similar examples close to home.

3.9 on a 4 scale is low?

Correct for ORMs for some of these programs. As mentioned they blindly (mechanically) filter based on their criteria before looking into details.

1 Like

I agree, your kiddoā€™s 3.9 and my kiddoā€™s 34 has mechanically filtered them out, rest of their profile would not matter. The fact that my kiddo was never given an opportunity to take SAT/ACT while the rest of the country did, does not matter. It is what it isā€¦donā€™t worry, they will be fine, we just have to believe that.

2 Likes

Well 34.5 is actually a 35 right? But yes some programs do look at decimals too ā€¦

Just to add - some programs also look at if SAT/ACT score is from one sitting or multiple. Single gets preference. It was mentioned during 1-2 BSMD program sessions we attended.

Medical school debt is the outstanding debt a student has once he/she/they complete their 4 years of medical school.

If you ask a medical school financial aid office, they may share information of the student debt at the time of a student matriculating into first year of medical school.
I recollect that Jefferson folks had shared a distribution of incoming freshmen with their student debt - it had given me a ā€œsticker-shockā€ on the amount of debt some students had.

However, when they talk about average debt, it includes debt of students paying in-state fees and also includes students who only take debt from the Federal Government.

Always do the numbers for your situation.

1 Like

Folks with multiple offers

If you know for sure there are colleges you will not attend, please consider sending them a decline email.
It may open up a seat for waitlisted students.

8 Likes

Is Stony Brook done sending interview invites?

May be he wrote a compelling story about how he was messed up initially but had a revelation and turned his life around and now he has the potential to be the next messiah, that clicked with an adcom who went thru same stuff.

3 Likes

Good point.

Alsoā€¦
Maybe we donā€™t know the ins and outs of other peopleā€™s business and judging seems arrogant and mistaken. I get as a parent wanting to build up your child and understand what seems illogical, but tearing down another child is a crappy way to do so.

Baaaad karma there. No thanks!

6 Likes

I have heard really good things about SLU. Have a friendā€™s kid in the program and he really likes it.

3 Likes