Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

For accepting any program, you will have to follow the instructions on the acceptance / offer letter.
If you have any questions re: the letter or what you need to do, please call the admissions office - they will be more than happy to guide you.

For most colleges, usually you click and “enroll” button and follow the process. In some cases, you need to email the admissions office. Practically all colleges require you to pay a deposit amount.

Feeder school/ NJMS communicate which students accepted the offer and also coordinate before a student matriculates into the medical school.

Thanks so much for this info! So based on my calculations for BUSM, I’d spend around 372k for 4 years. Would that mean I would be in 372k of med school debt?

That’s not it though. Factor in cost of undergraduate education at BU.

For 2021/2022 year, Resident students (living in dorm and not with parents) will have a cost of attendance of 79k per year. Add in 1k for flight costs back and forth and your at 80k per year of undergrad.

3 years of undergrad comes out to 240k and 4 years of medical schools comes out to 372k.
Total price is 612k for BU SMED pathway.

Its probably ok if your parents can finance all of it or at least half, but if you are talking loans this will be extremely expensive and crippling debt for you.

2 Likes

That’s been my argument for last 4 years about some of the BSMD programs. I am not sure how many parents can finance without making some sacrifices. I guess one year early MD salary will make up for some of it, but parents won’t get it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh yeah, I was just talking about the medical school portion. I did get some aid at the undergrad and my parents said they would finance it. Is it possible for me to get financial aid at the medical school level?

MIT vs Harvard for Premed ?

Is MIT better than Harvard for Premed MD or MD PHD application. I think echo system is same as they share common location not sure about accessibility for EC’s.

I think Drexel 8-yr BSMD would cost the same or even more w/o any scholarships.

Probably unlikely to receive financial aid from medical school. One option is entering the MD PHD MSTP pathway where you lengthen training by 4 years but get tuition paid and get given a stipend. If you are a fan of research you could look into this.

I believe I read earlier that BU allows this for their SMED students

Not sure if any of the schools with BSMD programs have need based aid. More and more top schools are giving aid in traditional path.

What are your other BS/MD options @gracewins

Grade deflation vs grade inflation, Nerds vs cool kids :slight_smile:

UIC GPPA and UMKC, but I’m mainly debating between SMED and GPPA

How much would Debt would UIC GPPA be for you?

454k over 8 years instead of 7. Their med school is still 78-79k a year despite being in-state. BU is around 130k more expensive for me over 7 years.

BTW, consider what kind of specialties your are looking into. What are your current plans or ideas?

I got what you were saying now, you were asking people if they already enrolled in one program. :+1:

If your looking at primary care or lower compensating specialties defintetly go with GPPA

I’m not completely sure yet, but I’m leaning toward more competitive specialties like orthopedics, dermatology (but that’s obviously just a dream for now)

Look at match lists at see what graduates are able to get from each school