Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

Makes sense child did not apply to MIT and Caltech for Premed for suggested reason. But I see some MIT Students in MD MD PHD prgrams but less than Harvard which claims 93 acceptance to med schools

What really 93 percent acceptance to med schools means ?

Is it all those who applied or is it all those who were recommended from Harvard ?

they are exceptional students but risk is high. My S also didnā€™t apply to MIT and CalTech, but one of his seniors went to CalTech and ended up at NorthWestern with full merit. However he represented USA in Chem, so different league.

Anyone can match from any school into any field, just have to work harder at some schools and may match into lesser known programs. However you still make same money. If you really wanted to be challenged every day and wants to be with like minded people then worry about school rankings, but if your goal is to become a doctor (nothing wrong with it) donā€™t worry about these things.

And Columbia admission indicated they have max- not sure right or not.

MIT is more techhie whereas Harvard should be more managerial or law etc. Either place you will get the best possible education and I would take them. The only exception is Caltech.

Again thats me.

For all future parents who are lurking in cc - having ā€œRKā€ in the name will definitely give your child a BSMD seat :innocent: whether double, single or with a super ā€œsrkā€ :joy:

3 Likes

I agree it is a big difference where you get trained with speciality residencies with access to top mentors techniques and complex cases

Harvard is good in sciences too.

in Nueroscience is ranked number 1 but for engineering it way behind MIT

I was thinking the same thing

Agreed - Harvard is topnotch in pure sciences too.

As a techie, I will go to Caltech/MIT over Harvard.

However, many will go to Harvard.

What does rk stand for?

Was wondering the same :sweat_smile:

As techie you can do MBA at Harvard later but for engineering I do not think Harvard is ranked that well. In CS it is ranked even lower than Michigan.

1 Like

Consider this. For the past 4 years BU (and all other private institutionsā€™) tuition and total expenses have gone up by 10%. From around 70k to high 70s.

During the same period the stock market has had a terrific ride. The portfolios of 529/college savings, your parentsā€™ brokerage accounts and other investments may have gone up by 100%.

If not or if one doesnā€™t want to spend that kind of money, sure you have other options.

what does rk stand for

1 Like

@gracewins I would personally choose SMED over GPPA since the undergrad and medical school are better but if you had personal reasons to stay in midwest UIC is a fine option.

Edit: didā€™t realize UIC is non-binding. If thatā€™s the case itā€™s honestly a tossup. BU is already a great med school so the benefits of going to a better medical school if you applied out of the program are probably not going to be huge, but UIC is solid mid-tier option if it doesnā€™t pan out.

1 Like

Folks dont go to Harvard for Engg or for that matter any IVY- Most IVY rank nowhere in Engg. ( PCCP rank 10-30). Folks go for IVY name.

MIT/Stanford/Caltech are in same league as Harvard whereas all other IVY distant. Even MIT BME ranks 5th or so after JHU/GT/Duke etc. but no one goes to GT BME over IVY.

@gracewins Consider that UIC GPPA is nonbinding and you can compete for top medical schools if your goal is derm. Ultimately, you should make a decision based on your familyā€™s financial situation, potential debts, and personal preferences like being able to apply out and staying close to home

1 Like

You all can guess all you like. My guess-

For people from India, srk is the abbreviation of a famous actor - Shahrukh Khan

Another popular name based on our two popular Hindu GODS - Rama & Krishna (Tenali Ramakrishna was the name of famous Indian poet, scholar in the court of the king, Sri Krishnadevaraya )

1 Like

I donā€™t know what RK stands for but if you are desi you should know what SRK stands for, if not Google :slight_smile: