Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

SBU Medical has asked acceptance within couple of weeks before SBU UG acceptance.

How does this work? If do not join UG, your med seat is gone obviously. Are you locked in once accept at any med school. Does all med school have same approach. Can you go to other IVY or medical school later or after 4 yrs. Med school is 4 yrs. away.

Still learning this BSMD process.

I have same initials as SRK and one of my colleague started calling me that 16 years back (before that I didn’t know that given I am not a big Hindi movie watcher). My license plate also has SRK, so if you are in CA and see a Tesla with SRK plate, please honk :slight_smile:

You forgot Radha & Krishna :slight_smile:

I vote for Raj Kapoor.:partying_face:

Thank you @love4bsmd
Good luck to your DD!

I thought you would say Ramya Krishna or Raashi Khanna :slight_smile:

If anyone has the contact info/ email of students already in the Hofstra 4+4 program, can you please PM me? I would love to ask them some questions!

Reach out admission office or student council - they will help out.

@cheer2021 - Congratulations to your D and the proud family!!

1 Like

I agree with this. Go to UIC, do very well and you have chance to get into Northwestern or U Chicago with merit (both have decent amount of merit) or try luck with other T20s. Go to BU if you want to count salary one year ahead.

I have seen more and more medical schools asking for confirmation by April 15 (as against May 1).
Once you commit to BS/MD - you commit to both the undergrad and medical school portions.

BTW - you cannot accept to medical school alone. You accept to the BS/MD program.

Also, you can only have 1 admission deposit to any school at a given time.
Double dipping - i.e. paying admission deposit to more than 1 school - is frowned upon and can result in losing admissions to these schools.

Ehh I am not uncalm. Just don’t think you disparage another person’s kid on random threads. I actually thought that was a rule :woman_shrugging:t2:

We can search for information and understanding without attacking other kids even if we think we know the truth.

But that’s just me. C’est la vie.

1 Like

Great, just did, thanks!

@confident2021 - Sorry to hear that your D didn’t get into BSMD. I am glad she has moved on. I am sure she is stronger because of this experience!

IMO - asking for financial aid is really tricky. If you don’t ask, then you have end up paying whether you can afford or not. If you ask then its totally up to the college whether they give you a seat or not. College admissions is a black box. You won’t get answer here since most of us don’t know or only know what the colleges say (need blind vs. need aware)

Logically speaking why should colleges select a kid who needs aid when they can select a kid with similar profile and also can pay full tution? After all, college is a business and they are not a philanthropic institute!

Say, you applied for financial aid even if you can afford but decide you will ask for Financial aid anyway. In this case, college will not give you Aid since you don’t qualify but they are now not sure if you will join if they offer for your child.

It is quiet possible in my opinion, that asking for aid might have an impact on college acceptance, especially if the kid in the border line (or when they need to decide between two equally good students)

1 Like

@gracewins - You should ask for the exact cost from each college and include all possible costs while coming up with the total cost of attendance.

For example, students tend to forget adding cost of books, travel, summer abroad. Some programs also have mandatory summer course requirement like BU (1/2 tution)

Congratulations!!!

1 Like

I thought financial aid and admissions teams work in parallel, no visibility into one another’s work.

RK = Royal Kingdom, so BS/MD ADCOMS better give admissions to keep the kingdom to flourish :smiley:

DC completed 12 APs to date and finishing up 4 more APs in High School by this May, totaling 16 together. With that has anyone has idea whether DC can finish 4 year UG in 3 years, through course waivers? Does anyone know whether StonyBrook allows matriculation to MD in that event (with 3 years in BS)? Or StonyBrook ask DC to take a gap year before entering MD class?
Has anyone been to similar experience at StonyBrook or other bsmd programs? Thank you.

Thanks @Vicky2019 for your take on this.

1 Like