Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

Maybe wrong place to ask, but how is CWRU over OSU for pre med? I’m not sure what I’m better off going with. I’m assuming PLME isnt happening based off my decisions…

@FutureDocT Thanks. That’s not the direction I was wanting to take this conversation either. Its just that @mom2boys1999 started on a sermon without knowing the details. I am not here to disparage anybody’s kids. I know better than that, I was only providing the details of a case and the reason for using the word non deserving. The wrong statement got caught in my post. I was wanting an answer on the applying for financial aid question which @Vicky2019 answered eventually. Getting into BSMD is not the end all.

@confident2021

Every one is innocent until proven guilty. How would you feel if some one posts such comments about your D here on CC without providing any proofs. It is just a hearsay, you have not proven anything.

1 Like

@coolparent21 - I too have heard this but I have also heard /read that although admissions for students who are clearly very good doesn’t get impacted, it does get impacted for kids in the border line (or when they need to decide between two equally good students).

My big question is - if two equally qualified kids have applied - one with full pay and another asking for financial aid. Who would a college choose?

college admission process is a black box and extremely subjective in the USA. There is no transparency. The more selective a college or program is, the admission process becomes even more subjective… Most private colleges are a for-profit organization and colleges increase their fees on an annual basis.

You can come up with whatever conclusion you like ofcourse…

wow 16? We can barely get to 12 in our school district.

Just wondering does anyone have received rejection letters for NJIT/NJMS?

Actually you are so correct. I too have observed that these kind of stories are really liked by Admissions and also by competitions like (Americal Idol) etc…

Raising from ashes and becoming successful is very compelling!

Wait, BU summer session is 1/2 tuition?

Yes, this was discussed in earlier posts. Check with @rk2017 and her D is in BU SMED. He can give you full details on BU COA.

1 Like

Agreed. For example Berkeley is allowed 30% OOS ( Austin 10%) and usually give zero dollars as aid to OOS. It is all 70K plus.

Many private school same. Perhaps very top ( Harvard/MIT/Stanford etc.) may not do but who knows.

$$$ does matter.

1 Like

You have already disparaged a kid without providing any proof.

2 Likes

@gracewins - Yes @rk2017 mentioned this and you can scroll up and find it for yourself. I am pasting the same post here for your convenience -

=======
"Actually summer tuition price is half that of fall and spring semester rate. But you will be spending extra on summer housing I guess. Also they used to allow students to take few courses at their respective local community colleges (mostly to satisfy liberal arts/humanities reqs) not sure if still doing so.

The program has in built saving of 1 year tuition and living costs anyway. It is as if you are getting a 20k/year from a 8 year BS/MD program."

BU Med schools COA is about 90K/year. So if you take all that in loans, yes you would have that much debt for sure. And of course the UG at BU also needs some serious funding unless you get good merit and/or need. One of the reasons for some folks preference to NJMS as its feeders may have good scholarships for UG and guaranteed in-state SOM fee for all.

One of the things to consider in grand scheme of cost calculations: consider cost of med school along with UG when comparing! Unless one has in-state (or NJMS), COA for most SOMs is about 70-90k/year, some even crossing 100k/year by MS4.

My DC got acceptance to GW/GW and Temple/Temple programs. DC is trying to figure out which one is better option. We live close to Temple University. Senior members can please provide some guidance.

Thanks in advance…

1 Like

What about finances at two places ?

GW/GW $25K Scholarship and Temple $12K scholarship

What is COA at two places for you ?

I thought 3 gods siva rama krishna :smile:

Temple $412k for 8 years and GW/GW is coming around $603 for 8 years

K is my last/family name.