Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

Has any one received any information about LKSOM (W&J) Acceptances ?

Thanks, sometimes I take SBU for granted. I guess this application cycle has been difficult especially when there were so many expectations placed on me from both myself and my family. As a side question, do you think I should try and appeal my decision to the honors programs? Would being in an honors program be a big impact on my UG experience?

No, waiting for the same and waiting for Drexel too.

congrats to everyone that got into bs/md/do programs! i have a quick question for y’all. Has the application pool increased/decreased due to COVID? Also, how does everyone think the bs/md application size and requirements/eligibility will change for fall 22 matriculation?

D gets NYU ChE and Biomolecular Engg ( does not have BME) with full tuition. NYU Tandon School of Engg. sucks - Used to be Polytechnic of Brooklyn and NYU took it to have engg. There was no engg. before. NYU engg is 4 tall buildings with security guards at bottom floor in Brookyln ( think next to Brookyln college)

And NYU med is top notch and so is business and Courant Math.

So why did your D apply then? How many schools did she apply?

Hey everyone, thanks for your help throughout this application process. I am now deciding between two schools: the Jefferson Scholarship (full ride with some extra resources i.e. free study abroad & internship & research) at UVA, and the Penn State PMM program. What are your thoughts? I have pretty good stats with a 1550+ SAT and top rank in class. Outcome is more important, but finances are still a concern. Thanks!

I did a quick check on Jefferson Scholarship and found out it’s crazy hard to get it so huge congrats for that. I would say go for it and continue same hard work and you will end up at better medical school with scholarship again. Those who know how to get into Ivies or top scholarships can do same for grad school also.

2 Likes

got you Thank you ! please let me know if you hear anything.

Her choice- Max UG and few BS/MD mostly NY and think 1 or 2 NJ and some other0 ( CA, NY separate apps).

Actually NYU engg. is not too bad but no campus- It is big attraction for Non-NY folks.

so is her goal to get merit or top schools? Good for her that she was able to complete so many apps. We were very selective 4 years back.

Confused. You apply only once. She maxed in Common App and 2 CA and 2-3 NY, Austin etc.

Good experience - She has published papers so is good in written Englsh - Gosh all those essays of Why NYU or Why Harvard or Why doc and so on!!!

Think engg. Job is cool- After BS, just send resume and answer all those Why IBM ( usually HR) or more technical if Tech guys!!!

I meant number of schools since most of them have secondary essays.

as per CS jobs, some times interviewers want to show off their knowledge than ask what’s needed for the job, so not easy :slight_smile:

BS MD rejection do not mean anything

My elder child who is MD and doing residency in T5 surgical program was rejected by HPME and WASHU years back and was very frustrating for us as he only wanted top two programs.

But after Premed did medicine from a better T15 ranked school …so kids should have faith in themselves if they are ready to work hard Traditional route is always there and you should not compromise with any programs you do not like.

3 Likes

Congrats!

1 Like

Hello! This is my first time posting on this thread, and I have been following the thread for the entire bsmd application cycle for 2020-2021. I recently received acceptances to the GW/GW bsmd program and Stony brook scholars for medicine program. I have learned so much from this forum and I would appreciate it if I could get some advice on which program I should select considering that my goal is to land into a top residency. Thanks!

2 Likes

As I said numerous times my kid was rejected by HPME, PLME, CASE, Rochester and GAP. This time he applied to North Western and Case Western as safeties and both waitlisted him and he refused to go on their waitlist. He did apply to Rochester, Pitt or BU.

Only time you should feel some what disappointed is you put in lot of effort with medical related ECs and got no acceptance. Even in that situation you should use this experience as stepping stone and aim high.

1 Like

Committed to UIC GPPA today! Thank you all for your help and advice :heart: I plan on posting in the results thread soon.

14 Likes

So quickly, I thought you were waiting for advise on SDN :slight_smile:

If you can, come back at least once a year and give updates here

As a parent of a kid going to Medical school, I can tell you that anyone in medical school or residency is too busy and unable to make time for even lunch or dinner, let alone talking to someone about their school choice they made 4+ years ago. So the moms try to speak on their behalf, rather than not allowing their DD to talk to other students.

1 Like