Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

Welcome to my world :rofl:

Are you looking at surgery preliminary year? They take FMGs in it.

A “preliminary” position, in contrast, is a position offering only one to two years of training generally prior to entry into advanced specialty programs. Many internal medicine and surgery training programs offer preliminary positions in addition to categorical positions.

Please look at all 5 years general surgery residents at JHU.

The preliminary program for Neurosurgery, Orthopedic Surgery, Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, and Urology may be less than 1-2 years duration in general surgery.

In the traditional route, what does an ideal candidate look like for med school (both MD and DO)? Stats wise, extracurricular, etc. What type of extracurricular involvement and for how long should each of those be (like, for instance, should you have closer to 200 shadowing hours or is 10 fine). What does an ideal candidate look like essentially?

And, if you can answer, the same thing for MD/PhD and/or DO/PhD, what does an ideal candidate look like?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!!

1 Like

IMO, it seems a minimum 150 hrs each in clinical, non clinical medical ECs, community service and a minimum 50-60 hrs shadowing including some primary care physicians may be sufficient for a MD applicant. IMO, you do not have to overdo it ( e.g. 200 hrs shadowing).

2 Likes

So if I understand correctly ( still getting used to it)- go for the cheapest in-state school ( usually in-state will give full ride to good students atleast in NY) with MD guaranteed compared to hifi IVYs/Caltech/Stanford UG if MD is the goal.

Btw UCLA gave 25K with still 40K to pay as OOS-JHU package is better (so is in-state schools).

1 Like

Look at each speciality and you will find a lot from T20

lol. Parallel question: would Asians admitted to Ivies not accept the admission due to controversy around discrimination against Asians for admission? I assume the answer for that is generally No, so why would accusation of History professor’s bias against Hindus stop anyone from enrolling in Rutgers??

Be careful who you choose as professor if you have an interest in subject matter and evaluate how university is handling the controversy, which always helps to determine a fit factor.

Hopkins has tie up with international medical schools and there are some international cadidates but again they are top candidates from top institutes. AIIMS India is one of them. The strategy of getting these candidates is important than getting folks is to bring the best and distribute across

Weill Cornell has already has medical schools abroad and do not know about Hopkins

There are only 3-4 slots per year in Neurosurgery at JHU. It is a lottery, IMO. It seems to be a 7 year program at JHU.

Good point only 3 4 spots in all top programs and how many students you think can match from low tier med schools ?

It will be hard to match to these programs
And advance fellowship opportunities are slim.

It is a lottery regardless of the medical school rank with so few slots, IMO.

1 Like

It is not luck it is very difficult
To build the credentials at lower ranked school as the research and clinical output is low

Competitive HS student will do well in UG, but
Competitive UG student less likely to do well in med school.
Why does it sound oxymoron?

What?

Does anyone know about Fordham’s premed program? (Ofcourse, they have information in their website, I want to know about any additional info like experience, stats, etc.)

@sam2024 @grtd2010 - strictly speaking, you’re both correct in my opinion. While the Med school one attended may factor in for residency, it’s not the main determinant (e.g. test score USLME PART 1, now presumably part 2, research experience, letters of recommendation, extracurricular activities/experience, etc. all are important factors as well). And with such few positions for a specific residency program, it’s very tough to target those especially when one is still attempting to get in to medical school. I guess if one approached the situation as “I want to do Neurosurgery Residency at Johns Hopkins and am not willing to settle for anything less’, then I would agree with @sam2024 - go for it. On the other hand, if one were to approach the situation as ‘I’d really like to do Neurosurgery but am not necessarily tied to a specific residency’ or acknowledge the fact that many medical students entering medical school end up choosing a different specialty than what they thought they would when they started, one would have more flexibility by not being tied to the presumed more difficult/challenging/competitive pathway.

We got SBU 16k merit scholarship award letter only… I am not sure if it is Honors or not? Nothing from BSMD interview yet… We are OOS

Honors email came few weeks after merit scholarship email.