Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

berkeley and emory as of now - waiting on ivies

Btw folks in bay area- If you visit Fremont temple ( used to have food most days but no more due to pandemic), say hi to my dad- He is priest and will offer Spiritual advice!! Easy to spot him as the oldest.

All my brothers are in bay area in CS/ECE and sister also moved. Enjoy bay area weather compared to frigid snow near NYC. Think after D in school, I will go to Himalayas for spiritual enlightenment!!!

1 Like

Don’t know who gave you that info, but the gpa req at RPI/AMC is 3.5 and not 3.9. But even that is a lot difficult than at most other places because of rigor of RPI.

It doesn’t make any sense for one to choose a BS/MD with such high requirement (like the erstwhile WashU which had a 3.8 and a 97% ile MCAT requirement)

@dblazer - Thanks.

Although can DM but would be beneficial if you can help with reasoning of BS-MD over better UG perhaps to many here as atleast I am confused ( although D is not).

Can help many here- Risk vs. Rewards like everything in life! Thanks.

You should go with your C’s decision. That way there will be no regrets from anyone later. Of course do have a discussion of all the pros and cons but leave it to him/her.

That’s what we did, even as I personally was against going to medicine.

1 Like

@dblazer has been on CC for a while and posted many times in past. Please do a search with “dblazer”.

@compengineer1 I live in Chicago!

1 Like

Was saying about helicopter mom who thought RPI is IVY as her D is there!!!

Me too planning to get away from the digital world and retire in 5 years

I am waiting for younger one to decide and will pay for his undergrad and for med school he is on his own

If your kids are planning to be on MD journey, retirement is elusive at least another 10 years.

1 Like

IMO, for many BSMDs are safe choices because of a few horror stories heard about difficulty in getting to a medical school via regular route and thought of taking 1-2 gap years to strengthen their application.

Unless you put decent money in 529 when they were born and didn’t spend all on UG :slight_smile:

same here. i am in CS and the S didnt want to take CS at all
 he focused on med from day 1 in high school. amazing.

1 Like

@GoldenRock is leaving 529 assets for his grandkids. !!!

All because of horror stories heard here sponsored by Tyson Foods, #1 bird company :slight_smile:

That’s my plan too :slight_smile:

I am CS, my wife is MD and my only kid is doing both (MD with Computational research). His Data Structures instructor was so impressed that he offered to write LOR.

3 Likes

will do :slight_smile:

OMG 1 million!! I think that is a high ball park. My son is in cardiology and hoping to do IC!

1 Like

Not starting. Once established as a partner in private practice