Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

And they have section wise MCAT requirements with 3.6 GPA. I heard that many did not even make it to medical school 2 years back, maybe because their selection process wasn’t very intense 5 years back as they have now.

Just go with Columbia if finance is not an issue. It is not worth to over analyze. Harmony and love in family is not measurable in $.

Realized some times we parents need to change even if it makes rational sense.
I learned during my C’s HS junior year when C first time informed plans to pursue medicine. From that point I let her do things in her way and get to know how she is progressing (listener and clap). But so far doing the right things though it may be jittery for parents. Majored in History in BS, never applied to Ivies/Top20 for UG and did not apply to T20 MD outside of CA (Since for MD IS plays a critical role). All the kids will do well if they are ready to work hard and do the right things, in whatever path they plan to take, know the risks and rewards. GL.

4 Likes

CONGRATS! Siena/AMC not received yet…

If anyone has been accepted to VCU BS/MD, please PM me. DD wants to connect and discuss honors college residence details.

When was your interview? Did you receive an email or was it notified in Portal?

Interviewed Feb 25. Notified via email from AMC

I agree. Our thought process is exactly the same. :+1:

1 Like

True, but lot of CS jobs are demanding and need more than 40 hrs a week and weekend work. As I said earlier most of new docs are preferring fixed hours and either salary based positions or percentage based positions. In Northern CA, Kaiser and Sutter are the biggest groups, while Kaiser is salaried with good benefits including pension, Sutter has both salaried and percentage based models. For both of these you don’t have to care about any overhead and you can even work part-time. I know few ladies who work 80% i.e. 32 hrs a week so that they can be home by the time kids come home.

2 Likes

Drexel matched to Stanford, UCLA, UC Davis, UCI, Kaiser in CA, JHU, Duke, Tufts, etc. based on their 2020 residency match list: Residency Match - Drexel University College of Medicine

If it helps, my D let go of CMU-Computer Science (#1 ranked program in the world) to go to NU-HPME. She would have gone to Penn/Jeff or Stonybrook BS/MD even if NU-HPME would not have been an option.

She was clear on her goals to be a physician.

1 Like

But CS is overrated for engineers :rofl:

Isn’t everything overrated for engineers?
As a breed, they are too difficult to please!
:wink:

Folks it has been fascinating discussion since I started looking at CC 1-2 months ago. Brilliant people and smart kids. I learnt a lot in few weeks on MD process. My D still does not want to peek at CC perhaps because I tell her to look at it. Not sure if she is doing right thing.

1-2 more months and they have decided the future. Fortunately, my son who struggled all through UG ECE starts Tesla internship in late May and I get to visit him and family in bay area to offer my prayers.

And we wait for April 6.

1 Like

I know tonnes of kids CMU CS and MS/PhD from CMU. Nothing great and in same boat as Stanford/MIT/Caltech etc. and most prefer these schools compared to CMU.

Sir, you asked for some cases where students chose BS/MD over other options.
I shared one. Looks like you completely missed the point.

May God help you. :pray:

2 Likes

I visited Drexel a while ago before C’s admission cycle and was impressed. But stopped following the program after they turned it into 8 years following that cycle. Also there was some news on collapse of their network or something which did not augur well for the kids going there. But as someone posted above, the kids there seemed to have done quite well in residency matches this past cycle. As I keep saying, once in med school it is mostly on the student than on the school itself. I don’t think that is going to all change overnight and turn upside down just because one of the required tests at med school level has been virtually eliminated.

So basically Drexel made the undergrad portion of the program look alike the rest of the undergrad experience by enforcing the coop. Based on what I remember, one is not charged any tuition during the semester of coop. Also may have some net earnings from it for the rest of the year. That coupled with the 20k/year that year can probably make the extra year a wash. Similar to the erst while 7 year program they used to have in terms of finances. So the amount you quoted above may have been a little overblown. Also you may want to find out that since the program is now 8 year, do they let the students apply out and still retain the seat in med school (many 8 year programs seem to be flexible with that)

AMC is a decent med school as well and the price for both the programs may come to similar range. But location wise you may find Drexel more appealing. With Union you also get an additional MS/MBA but not sure how keen you will be for that. Have known a colleague’s kid who went to AMC through another feeder and has done/doing extremely well. Few others also recalled in last year’s thread on the success stories of their acquaintances who graduated from that program. The drawback with Union may be that you may be fully engrossed in the additional course work for the additional degree and may not be able to concentrate on exploring or applying out, if you should choose to do that (and provided they give you that flexibility)

Regarding Temple, you need to take an interview for matriculation into med school. For some reason it had never been popular in terms of the number of applications they used to receive. Used to be in 200-300 range per cycle when they finally decided not to post it on their website any further. Also know 3 kids who chose not to go there despite the free ride and the location and went to other BS/MDs with partial to no price breaks. Only one other student that I know of went to the program, but not sure if that was because if s/he did not have any other BS/MD offers at hand.

2 Likes

CMU has no BME but ChE, is a possible choice for his D. CMU is no where close to Columbia BME option.

Drexel is now a EAP, no longer a guaranteed BSMD. It costs 500k or more, a huge price for a EAP and Drexel SOM ranked #86 by USNWR. Compare it to NJMS (#66 ), RWJ (#70), Temple SOM(#61) and AMC (unranked but a decent option).

2 Likes

Outside of CMU-CS, where did I reference any majors?

I was just sharing our example of my D choosing a BS/MD program over a top rated CS program. Nothing else.

His D is not interested in ECE/CS as per his earlier post and only considering BME. His D applied to only 3-4 BSMD programs. BSMD is not a serious option for his D, IMO.