Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

DM me

Congratulations to everyone who got acceptance into AMC.

He is leaning towards Case Western with or without program. He has background in Robotics. He feels he won’t have too many opportunities in NJIT/NJMS. I personally feel NJIT/NJMS is a decent mid tier option.

Folks who have multiple offers:

If you have made a decision about not going to a particular college, please consider send them a decline. It may help students on the waitlist.

3 Likes

This is what Drexel has:
If students wish to apply to other medical schools, they must relinquish their provisional acceptance to Drexel University College of Medicine.

I hope your son has spoken to students at NJIT.
They do have a decent robotics program.

Some links that you may already be aware of:

https://mie.njit.edu/research/undergraduate/robotics.php

This is typical of all BSMD programs, there are only a few exceptions.

1 Like

What are your thoughts on NJMS?

NJMS is a solid medical program with excellent clinical exposure.
Students from there have matched to competitive specialties like DOPEN, Radiation Oncology, Ophthalmology, etc.

Thanks for sharing the links. He has not taken ant interest in NJMS as of now. So no discussions with ant students.

How much waitlist movement at these programs? I know most schools offer to more than what they have knowing that decent percentage get multiple offers.

How long ago was it a guaranteed BSMD program? With EAP, do they do medical school interview again?
They have this statement in bold on their site under “Undergraduate Program Requirements”: BA/BS+MD Early Assurance Program
Please note that acceptance into the College of Medicine is not guaranteed.
Does that mean, it is still not guaranteed after meeting all the UG requirements?

Please ask these question to Drexel medical school admission’s office. Nearly 4 years ago, it was not EAP.

550K is a lot I agree. But PMM-SKMC is also almost 470K (I did not get in PMM).
Anything under 500k is okay ?

Have any of the accepted NJMS students received financial aid information from TCNJ? I have my offer from NJIT, but haven’t yet heard from TCNJ.

NJIT/NJMS allows any major but can one finish any Engineering ( Mechanical Engineering is closest to Robotics) in 3 years.
The most common majors for accelerated pre-medical students have been Biology; Biochemistry; Biophysics; Science, Technology, and Society; and Biomedical Engineering.

Some students will find interesting.

Caltech/Stanford/Harvey Mudd supercede IVYs that follow close to them. And this is in 2018. Am sure gap is more now.

BSMD is totally different ball game.

Those who do not have time for interesting article

Here are some bullets from one section.

Caltech, Berkeley, Stanford, and Harvey Mudd, all located in California (Berkeley and Stanford in the San Francisco Bay Area; Caltech and Harvey Mudd in Los Angeles County), stand far above all others. This was visible in the linear plot above, but this plot makes the advantage even more stark.

All the Ivy League schools except Harvard are in the same area on the plot. This suggests employers don’t discriminate among the Ivies.

Of the Ivies, Princeton, Penn, and Dartmouth have a slight edge in salary, while Columbia, Cornell, and Yale have a slight edge in job placement.

MIT graduates have high starting salaries but are not as represented at top tech companies. This is probably not because they can’t get jobs at the top companies, but because they go to smaller, less established companies.

Harvard, Tufts, Wellesley, and WPI, which are all in the Boston area, are also in the same general range on both axes. Relative employment is not high, but salaries are comparable to top schools elsewhere in the country.

Several California public schools (UCSD, UC-Davis, Cal Poly, and SJSU) fare similarly in our computer science employment rankings. Berkeley and UCLA, usually considered the most prestigious California public schools, have a huge advantage in job placement, but only Berkeley grads enjoy an appreciable advantage in salaries.

There is similar performance among graduates of Johns Hopkins, the University of Maryland-College Park, UVA, and Virginia Tech, all located in the same general geographical area. Only UVA makes our Top 40.

UT-Dallas and UT-Arlington fare similarly to each other and very poorly in comparison with flagship campus UT-Austin. As noted earlier, UT-Dallas places many graduates at top tech companies, but a smaller proportion of their computer science graduates gets hired.

Several public schools (the University of Washington, UCLA, Georgia Tech, the University of Florida, Penn State, Texas A&M, ASU, UCSB, Purdue, and North Carolina State) have relatively weaker starting salaries relative to their job placement compared to their peers. This is likely due to graduates taking lower-paying jobs at top companies and/or geographic areas with lower salaries.

Graduates among private-public rivals USC/UCLA and Rice/Texas perform nearly identically in the job market. Employment outcome need not be a factor in deciding between these rivals.

Speaking of rivalries, Duke far outperforms its local rivals UNC and North Carolina State University in high-paying tech job placement. There may be a “research triangle,” but there is no “jobs triangle.” Duke is the indisputable No. 1 in North Carolina for computer science employment.

Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) and Renssalaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) graduates also perform nearly identically to each other. (This does not do much to help students considering RPI vs. WPI, but may assure them that they won’t go wrong.) Coincidentally, they also perform similarly to the California Polytechnic State University

3 Likes

Do you mind sharing if NJIT gave you full ride? And we haven’t heard anything from TCNJ as well on the scholarship.

It depends on what your financial situations and expenditure preferences are really. Between $470K and $520K, if you can afford either and money is not a major factor, then go by prestige, ranking or UG experience - whatever matters most to you. If finance has a huge constraint or yiu are considering taking a loan, the conventional wisdom is to go with the least expensive option, assuming you do not have other strong reservations about going to that program.

1 Like