Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

DD accepted to W&J-Temple!!

8 Likes

Our DD is fortunate to have some choices for BSMD. we are waitlisted at a few places, and we are going to consider these unavailable choices as of now. From available choices, she already informed UCF, CNU and Upstate that she is unable to proceed with their admission. She still has Penn State, W&J-Temple and BU.

Money is not an issue for us, and none of these allow applying out while retaining the Medical College seat. Seems like BU is the best choice as it is the highest ranked then?

I see a lot of talk about BME as a major for med school but I would advise against it. I know many people struggling to get a good 3.9 or 4.0 GPA with BME and many of the courses do not help for MCAT or med school.

1 Like

BME is a good hedge against not getting into MD or not wanting to pursue medicine, as is taking Bio+CS courses in UG. Allows the student an alternative to medical career, if they are so inclined.

1 Like

DD got accepted to W&J Temple. This is her first BS/MD acceptance. Experts, Please provide your valuable input on this program.

We are still waiting on Union/AMC and this is her first choice. She also has acceptance to Rutgers Camden/Rowan BS/DO 7yr (IS) (can chose USciences, PA for UG).
TIA

5 Likes

It seems there is some limitation of the methodology used.

Carnegie Mellon having relative employment nearly as same as PennState for computer science just does not make sense.

Another example Caltecha data is based on ~ 200 students they found on Linkedin.
In the same period (2013-2016), they found ~2200 students for CMU. The ratio is skewed due to data availability.

Also, the pay scale does not factor relative cost of living impact on salaries.
$90K in Pittsburgh translates to $169K in San Francisco (as per Money.CNN.com).

Drexel

Even though Drexel indicates it is not guaranteed admission to medical school, I have not heard of students giving any further medical school interviews in their undergrad nor a student denied matriculation if they met the GPA, MCAT and other requirements.

Further, I have heard many students rotated at Jefferson and Penn for their clinical rotations.

Again, speak to current students there - it can only help.

W&J

A word on caution for W&J undergrad college - please research thoroughly that school. It is one building college 30 miles south of Pittsburgh with practically zero college environment or research opportunities. It typically has less than 15 kids (in total - both BS/MD and pre-med)) applying for either MD or DO schools (and maybe 5 kids getting in) and the environment is not conducive to smart kids.

4 Likes

I am not a fan of W&J undergrad.

Can you share more details about your D’s application situation?

Is it just regular pre-med that you are comparing?

Sorry to hear about that.
Hope he is preparing well for his MCAT.

Praying for his success.

There will always be issues with any data but this analysis provides a great overall picture taking into account multiple resources and sources. The trend in CS translates into engineering and perhaps pure sciences.

This is the reason Caltech/Stanford or IVY is chosen over JHU BME or CMU CS or UT ChE or Rice/NW/Duke/GT etc. ( any branch). JHU BME in long run disappears with JHU name only and is less marketing brand compared to IVY or Caltech/Stanford. Harvey Mudd a relatively small school ( 700 total) also seems powerhouse with maximum kids going to PhD in country and/or salary higher than IVYs and close to Caltech.

If there is an iota of doubt in MD- Go for IVY/Caltech/Stanford as all your life, you will do well whereas with CMU/JHU/UT perhaps you will do well but may be more or mostly less!!

My 2 cents- Think my D knows this I guess!!!

1 Like

That is correct. From my understanding there are NO further medical school interviews (unlike Temple or Toledo) and I have not heard of them denying medical school admission if you meet the requirements.

I believe the language exists to reflect the conditional nature of admissions.
I believe this language change happened about 3 or 4 years ago when they changed to 4+4 program and I do not fully recall the reason they had given.

1 Like

One thing which is very interesting is that CMU in the years 2013-2016 took approx. ~100 kids for CS / year and ~125-150 kids for Electrical and Computer Engineering / year. Over 4 years, the total adds upto ~ 1,000 kids.

Now, tell me how did their math say they found ~2200 kids on Linked from that time period? And they indicated they found only 2/3rds of the students on Linkedin.

This only means data was mingled with other engineering disciplines or worse i.e. bad data.

As they say in the IT world, garbage in - garbage out!

See my comments on Drexel above.

Thank You.
Application status:
Currently waiting on Union/AMC decision after AMC interview
CUNY/Sophie Davis interviewed and placed on Waiting List
Applied to below:
SBU/GW : GW rejected after SBU interview
SUNY (thru ACPHS), VCU, Drexel, NJMS (NJIT and Steven’s interviewed; NO NJMS interview offered), TCNJ&Rutgers no interview offered, Rowan BS/MD, Montclair BAMD, Temple/Temple, Hofstra: UG Honors admission with good merit scholarship NO interview offered
Rutgers Camden/Rowan BS/DO - accepted (after Rutgers and Rowan interviews)
Stonybrook: UG offered with good merit. NO honors/BSMD
Rutgers NB - SAS honors acceptance
Colgate University: EAP Acceptance (Early Assurance Programs with medical schools at:
University of Rochester
Albany College of Medicine
Upstate Medical University - Accelerated Scholars Program)

Wondering how hard is it to maintain 3.6 gpa at Drexel vs some other 3.5 and 3.2 gpa requirements at some other Bs/Md programs?
Cant find any statistics on how many Bs/MD kids got forwarded to medical school in last two years since the program changed from guaranteed to EAP?

Ok Sir CMU CS/ECE is the king and garbage data.

At the end of the day, you can find issues with anything. Life continues in any case.

Enjoy simple things and have fun - I try to do but D thinks I am crazy if do simple things!!!

and spouse says, when did you listen to me last time? :sweat_smile:

That is certainly goes to one appetite, however if a kid has to take loans, I won’t suggest even 400K let alone 500K, because those kids can still achieve their goal with significant less debt by following traditional route.