Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

I also know that my D’s orthopedic surgeon’s (she used to break leg/shoulder all the time!!) D did Yale BME and is in Yale Med school.

You can not compare Yale and RPI - Yes if you want safety and savings go with RPI/Albany but if you want IVY name go with Yale- You only can decide that and think you decided on RPI/Albany- Good luck as either decision is good one.

Are you done with all your BS/MD decisions or still awaiting anymore? I recall couple of students from few cycles back, also foregoing Yale undergrad to go with BU or U Conn programs (also instate for him/her and so quite economical, with an option to apply out without losing the spot)

All the ORM traditional path kids I know from good schools have 2-7 T30 admissions without gap years and some with scholarships. The constant drum beat of failure stories by one or two individuals here is sickening!

3 Likes

Sorry for ignorance - What is ORM? Indian and Chinese??? Think need to learn many short ones including no clue of several MD when someone says SLU ( am sure it is not Wash St. Louis!) or FAU etc. Think am getting old!!!

ORM = over represented minority (basically refers to Asians including Desis)
FAU = Florida Atlantic University
SLU = St Louis University
Wash U = Washington University, St Louis
UCF = University of Central Florida, Orlando
USF = University of South Florida, Tempa Bay
UF = University of Florida, Gainesville
SBU = Stoney Brook University, NY
AMC = Albany Medical College, NY
RPI = Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, NY

Apart from PLME (which I probably won’t get), I’m done with BS/MD decisions.

I’m waiting for Ivy day, but even if I get any of those, I will probably be considering Yale only since it’s close to home for me.

Correction, Over Represented in Medicine.
Fact: URM is an official word as per AMCAS.
ORM is derived from it.

1 Like

What is the cost of medical school of AMC do you get free ride in medical school ?

T20 Medical school tution is Avg 55 to 60 K, Except NYU.

It is like investing with risk and your abilities

I know someone who says she is full pay at AMC.

IMO, ORM is used generally for Over Represented Minority. It applies to Ivies and medicine admissions. ORM as Over Represented in Medicine applies to a subset.

So it seems this BSMD group both for kids and parents is also ORM perhaps ALL ORM- I didnt realize 2 months ago but seems so.

Mostly ORMs parents here, IMO.

No one else has 500k sitting in bank and wants to spend on safety schools :grinning:

2 Likes

90% parents and 10% students

— deleted

Paisa upper thodi le jana hai
Jo hai Usme hi Aish karna hai!!

And that damn story that I or my dad came with empty suitcase and zero dollars - I came with big loan from India too and still loans and loans!!!

It is like buying IPO of a company with deals.

But you do not want to cut wings of the bright ones early.

We will know in 10 years by 2031 and I would be in Himalayas meditating

1 Like

Michigan is very cold with -60C during winter.

I bet you are Nana Patekar fan.

So since mostly Desis here - I had a virtually free IIT B education and full ride to UT. So never paid a dime.

So why not spend on your 1 or 2 kid and give them the best education that they can get. Perhaps thats the best use of money. What is everyones opinion here? What else you will do with money ( assuming you all have 500K plus as @srk2017 says!!). So why not IVY???