Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

@NeuroChick Wait until the final acceptance comes. Focus on upcoming interviews and HS work.
When you have all your final results, post along with state of residence and the scholarship if you got any for each school.

It appears today’s calculus class turned in to public policy class!

Has anyone heard anything from Brooklyn? We were told at interview that results would be out 3/1 but have heard nothing.

@neurochic Can you please share the reasons why you decided did not attend Union/AMC interview?

Folks

Single-payer healthcare may or may not happen.
But I believe the current greed of insurance companies is unsustainable.

Already, high deductible plans are becoming insurance in name only.

Unless they mend their ways, the current structure of healthcare will change.

You may get “pay-as-you-go” healthcare where insurance, if any, may only be high cost hospitalization.

All the best to all having interviews this week.

Hi everyone! I am a current Penn/Jeff student and would love to answer your questions about the program! I’m on spring break this week and have some time! Since the questions asked in the forum get lost, please feel free to PM me! Also, for those of you considering joining the program, please try to make it to an accepted students day and request to talk to some current PMM students. This is VERY useful!! I can’t wait to see all the future progs on campus :slight_smile:

@DSOF20192023
Yes for sure
I’m out of state and the cost to go was too much just for the interview. Then factoring in all the trips my DD would have to make to come home and that the school (undergrad) doesn’t have superb reviews neither does the med school we decided against it. Also, my cousin completed Brown PLME years back and she recommended against the Union program.

@themedgirl1
DD got interview for Drew/Rutger few days back.

Any recent interview invites from TCNJ/NJMS ?

@neurochic

“Which ones are better? I was looking at med school rankings, but do not know how else to decide.”

Just a thought, I would recommend, go to the match lists of both for the past few years and look which one has better “neuro” related results better :slight_smile:

They both allow applying out as well. Which would have better undergrad opportunities?

Which one is giving a better price deal? Which one is shorter? What does timeshigher or any such reputed rating agency rate them on various metrics (Scores / Indicators tab)?

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/2019/subject-ranking/clinical-pre-clinical-health#!/page/0/length/25/sort_by/rank/sort_order/asc/cols/scores

https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2019/medicine

Hello
People
We are losing focus discussing national health service topic while this is a bsmd forum
Please

@XJet2019 Hi! I’m a current prog! feel free to pm me with questions you have

@XJet2019 - what’s a ‘prog’? Sorry, not used to the abbreviations.

@neurochic - I don’t think there are many students who would choose AMC over Brown given the choice, and I would strongly agree with them (congrats if you have the option of Brown’s PLME program). I would say if one is interested in neurosurgery, I would tend to favor going to the most competitive research medical school (of course, it’s still possible to get a neurosurgery residency position from a lesser reputed medical school, but it may require more effort to find and do significant research necessary to obtain a neurosurgery residency slot). If one is interested in neurology (rather than neurosurgery), then this would be reasonably possible from almost any medical school, and one may take other factors into more serious consideration (cost, geography, matriculation requirements, undergraduate program, etc.).

@OldSchoolMD Penn/Jeff PMM program students identify themselves as ‘prog’

@neurochic - just wanted to add that the Union-AMC program has a unique slant as far as combined MD programs go, a business one where I believe you earn a MS or MBA in healthcare management in addition to your BS and MD. If this is what one is interested in, then there would be significant value in this specific program beyond the traditional college rankings.

@caballero @rk2017 @GoldenRock
@PPofEngrDr @DSOF20192023 @NoviceDad @OldSchoolMD

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions it was very informative and will be very useful to make the final decision.

@OldSchoolMD
Yes, I do recall that. And that was the basis of the essay questions as well. I would definitely say a degree like that is useful. However, I think there are many limitations that come with it at Union vs just graduating early and doing it in a traditional bs/md.