Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

@neurochic I am probably biased, but while Union has limitations I still think it provides some decent opportunities. I would definitely say it being a smaller school helps in terms of not having massive intro courses with TAs. The largest class I have been in at Union was 30 kids and that was one of my intro biologies. All of my courses have been taught by great professors who have time to get to know me personally and have ample office hours for all their students. All of the professors here are involved in research so even if your a freshman you are very likely to find an opportunity to do research with a professor of your choosing. I also want to point out that getting an MBA is not a small time commitment, it is 16 courses that we take during our undergraduate years. We take our MBA classes with other people who are trying to get MBAs and quite a few of them are physicians who say that having an MBA would have been great coming out of Medical School. Graduating a year early will not give you the time required to get an MBA, and if you don’t plan it out exactly, like we do, it is hard to fit in all the courses during undergrad. All I’m saying is that I acknowledge there are better programs out there than Union/AMC, but I think that it provides a unique opportunity (namely the MBA) that would be much tougher to do elsewhere.

In reality Union/AMC is graduating early. Because even if you do your UG in 3 years and get admitted for MD/MBA, it is 5 years. So net 8 years. Actually doing MBA in UG is better than during MD because already MD schedule is just crazy and may have to do courses during summer of few years. All MBA courses can not be met in the additional year alone. Even MD/MPH is pretty much 5 years except few schools (like Miami or UTSW) it is 4 years. When reviewed that, it is a stretch & stress, pretty much from MS0 summer to Ms4 summer you are doing course for MPH. Agree many of the MD/MBA are better business schools than Union. Again that is the trade off.

@Undecided3494 @GoldenRock

Union MBA is one nice perk going there. But in real world, how many doctors have MBA and how it is useful? .May be it can help in start/running own hospital? Become administrator for a hospital? Or take up a federal/state job in healthcare policy making or advising?

Personally, I think MBA or MS is useful if its something the student wants. There is no actually need for a doc to have either of these degrees, but for a student with an interest, its a great benefit.

@caballero Can you please pm me? I dont have the status to pm you
thanks so much!

Has anyone heard from Siena/AMC after their interview?

Has anyone heard back from SLU? Also, any insights/recommendations as it is early application vs combined BS/MD. My son has applied there, so would like any insights

When does Oklahoma University send out interview notifications ?

@sean1111
I believe SLU will be coming out in a few days.

Has anyone received a Stony Brook interview yet?

Will PLME come out with regular Brown decisions?

@SBSapphire Haven’t heard anything from Stonybrook

@redcloud17 Yes it comes out around April 1. Still, a long way to go.

@bsmdalien Oklahoma notifications come out this week (for the interview). @SBSapphire Have not received anything from Stony Brook yet, : (.

Received Univ of Oklahoma - Medical Humanities Interview today.
Interview Dates - March 25th and 29th

@neurochic Thanks. Did you receive the interview notification by email?

Just received Oklahoma invite today as well.

Good luck to OU interview folks. Normally OU will notify that night itself. At the worst case, you will know by April 1st Monday. Mostly some of you will meet my DD during lunch & informal discussion.

@sajju786 congratulations

@BigMan1234 congratulations