Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

@gallentjill
Yes first and only attempt, but it should be 80 percentile ~510

Is anyone waiting for Augusta?

Any word on when Stony Brook University may start sending interview invitations/rejections?

@chenlinong yes, waiting for Augusta. I think it will out in any minute as they said March 8th Friday evening.

Thank you @gallentjill for sharing your experience on the results thread.

I got into Augusta! Does anyone know the stats on this program?

@pun2018 congrats!

Anyone knows when will PLME results come out

@rk2017

[QUOTE=""]
l. I think some one from 2017 or 18 results thread did go to SLU.

[/QUOTE]

Hi thx for your feedback. I looked in the previous threads but couldn’t find anyone who enrolled at slu medscholar. If anyone should know of anyone there, I’d appreciate if you could pm me. Thx much

Hello I’m new to this forum. I’m a parent who has been following the last 6 months. My son has received three acceptances: Union/AMC, GPPA, and Penn/Jefferson PMM. Going to the Pitt interview this month as well and waiting on the results of UMKC interview. Can someone please share their thoughts on the above programs and their pros/cons? We have known a handful of GPPA students that have all taken gap years and one that applied out and is at a higher ranked med school now. Can anyone tell us the reason why so many of the GPPA students are taking gap years? We are wondering whether the program is pushing for students to do this. Is it because the students are needing to up their MCAT scores, because students taking up too much time with their undergrad capstone project that they need more time, because they are doing additional research and trying to apply out, or another reason? We are trying to evaluate the programs based on ability to finish on time and ability to prepare students to get into a good residency of their choice.

@2019NewB

PLME come with regular brown decision by April 1
How is there medical school ? seems no merit scholarships offered.

@sunitacarmen,

Check the below link from 2018 results thread. I searched for SLU in that thread.

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/21521904/#Comment_21521904

did anyone else receive a TPM interview?

Anybody on this thread who has committed to FAU BS/MD?

@pun2018 - congratulations!

@Greentree2000 Go with Duke. Not because I doubt your DD will have a challenge to meet 3.8 GPA and 97% (519) MCAT. Rather if she continues the same focus and passion, she may get in to some good medical school and also may get good scholarship for MD also (of course it is true with WashU UG also). But you save UG cost with Duke.

Summary: If money for UG education is in the equation/critical, go with Duke. If not, it is up to her since both are ok.

Also if your DD is not 100% sure about medicine, then Duke will prevail.

Since it is that time of the year, with which college to choose x or y;

It will help if posts provide more specific details.

1. State of residence.
  2. Scholarship details. or give x will cost $$$ more than y. (Free tuition is different from free ride. So if you state free scholarship, it is not clear, is it free tuition or free ride? Ride includes Tuition + R&B).

Also do groundwork related to these areas (which may or may not be relevant in your case).

1. UG grading has 2 systems. One similar to HS just A, B, C. Second, A+, A, A-, etc. Each system has its pros and cons and students may differ which one is better for them.
  1. Check if it says GPA must 3.xx, what does it mean from the office. Is it only sGPA or cGPA. For example, WashU just states 3.8. So it needs clarification. Because cGPA gives more flexibility but sGPA is hard.
  2. Check for each of your program, what is GPA, is MCAT needed or not, Binding or non-binding, is major restricted or can choose anything, is 4 years mandatory or optional. Is student particular to get it done quick and move on or likes to explore and do UG in 4 years and even take gap year etc.,
  3. Of course personal choices, close to home or support system even if far off. During MD, for sure, they would prefer parents to be in Mars (actually they don't mind the other way, if they know for sure some medical schools exists in MARS), but during UG since it is a transition from home, it still plays some role.
  4. And last but not least, how sure they know about medicine career, especially when need to decide between BS/MD program versus solid UG school with or without scholarship. (example like @Greentree2000. )

@positivelybsmd All 3 of your choices are almost same, both for UG or MD school. Sharing some of the details as stated above may help to do the evaluation.

@trustybsms
Brown is the only IVY that offers combined BA/MD Program.
From US News:
Brown University (Alpert) is ranked No. 32 (tie) in Best Medical Schools: Research and No. 39 (tie) in Best Medical Schools: Primary Care. Schools are ranked according to their performance across a set of widely accepted indicators of excellence.

What @srk2017 posted on UIC cost needs attention.

UIC is an outlier and unusual. Tuition fees are extremely expensive, especially for OOS. That is reflected in the number of students who attend as OOS.

To set the context, to start with medical schools have a unique need to admit certain number of IS students, especially public schools. There are extreme like TX where only 10% of OOS allowed by law. In other schools it varies anywhere going up from 10 to 40%. If you look at UIC, only 19% of students are OOS because of high cost. Mostly those students dad/mom are stinking rich to afford. Contrast with neighbor Iowa which has 34% of students OOS, because it is reasonable $58k (IS $38k).

Whether private or public OOS, in general tuition hovers around $50-65k. Public IS varies from $20-40k.

UIC OOS is $90+k. That is the point he is highlighting.