Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

@rk2017 thank you for detailed guidance. NIH link is really helpful to see details of research projects in a University.

In VA all high stat kids end up in UVA as it is best ranked and economical. Then getting high GPA becomes tough as they may give only so many As. One suggestion I read in earlier threads for premed is “do not pick top state school for premed” Do not know how much we can follow this.

does anyone know when BU BS/MD decisions come out?

@FencingGurl BU decisions come out on the 23rd

@DSOF20192023,

Yes it is difficult to let go a prestigious state school, but find out how many kids from your D’s school enrolled there last year. If not an atrociously high number may be worth taking a chance. Also check grade deflation site (think I shared in this or last year’s thread) about the school’s grading.

By the way reminded of this girl at one of D’s interviews or orientations. For high school she was selected to the prestigious TJHSST. But she and/or her parents did not want to spend the high school in an ultra competitive environment (where she may have ended up as a typical above average student). She enrolled in some regular school, was the star there, had enough time to do all the volunteer and medical ECs and got selected to 4 BS/BA/MD programs. I think she chose to go to GWU’s BA/MD.

Any word on REMS final results yet ?

Does Rpi give merit scholarships for bsmd program ?

@diaash -They do, I believe upto 25K. I believe scholarships are independent of BSMD programs. 2 year back my son got Rensselaer Medal ($25K/yr) during junior year of HS.

I thought that the RPI Medal is 100k in total and they’ll adjust the amount per year accordingly since RPI-AMC is accelerated

@srk2017 how does the Rensselaer medal get awarded during junior year of HS? Do you apply for it?

@brown2024 - HS have to nominate the student (I believe only one per school). Ask your councilor if they are familiar with the Rensselaer medal, if not they have to contact RPI and go thru approval process. I did all that for my son and in the end he declined to go to RPI/AMC!

@8thgradekid - yes, $25K per year for 4 years=$100K. However if you are in BS/MD you can use it for 3 years of UG only.

Thank you @srk2017 - I know kids have their own mind!

@medadmin2019 I haven’t heard anything back from them, either…

Does anyone know what is the maximum merit scholarship you can get at UIC for GPPA students?

I was wondering if experts on this thread can comment on comparison between UCONN’s Special Program in Medicine and the RPI/AMC program in terms of cost, residencies and overall experience.

@2019NewB…UIC-GPPA Scholarship — for sure $5k as Provost Scholarship…can get additional scholarship form Honors College but they will let you know after their review in April…

Match day list is quiet impressive for Hofstra given its very new - 6/95 in Ortho!

REMS results are out

Hofstra is out!

Oof that’s sad, it looks like VCU is the only place I got in :/, at least its pretty cheap @Greentree2000