Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

Waitlist for REMS :frowning: not a great week for me. Does anyone know how the waitlist works? What are my chances?

@dooblydoo Can you pm me?

Just did.

@honeyduke31 - Hofstra out? email?

@bamd Hofstra called this afternoon that we are in… waiting for official notification which they said will take a week or so.

they called but also emailed! @bamd

@sajju786
Thank you

Anyone thinking of accepting VCU could you pls PM me. My DS is leaning towards VCU… Thx

@srk2017 , I do not have rpi medal, do they give out merit scholarships even other than the rpi medal?

@diaash they do have other scholarships but I don’t have the details.

Yesterday got rejected from REMS but accepted in Hofstra.
Have to choose between RPI/AMC - UConn SPiM (oos) - Hofstra
Would really appreciate advice from senior members.

@medadmin2019 Will be hard for any one with blank statement. See Post 4741 in Page 317.

What are all critical factors for your Child?
What are all critical factors for family which may influence child decision?
State of residence
Is money in the equation?
Tuition & Fees (don’t include R&B or COL/COA) for each of the 3 options.
Need / Merit aid given for each of the 3 options
Is child interested in exploring and learning some thing new in UG (like humanities or business or anthropology) besides doing all pre-med courses?
Is distance matters?
Is child interested in serious research (MD/Ph.D)?

@GoldenRock
Thanks for the input.
I need feedback from only program point of view (not include distance and tuition ) it is getting confusing as far as med school rankings go.

@medadmin2019
I am no expert - my son is still junior in high school but check their match list - Hofstra is impressive - I haven’t seen the others.

@medadmin2019 AMC is unranked by choice, so don’t go by that. Isn’t Hofstra a new program? If you are purely going by quality of medical school, check at the match lists for all three schools.

@medadmin2019 when was your interview date?
We have not heard from HOFSTRA yet, not sure if they are communicating only acceptances at this point.

@medadmin2019 Wait for few folks response who have done extensive research on medical school and residency match. Also there are few Doc Parents to get their input.

Here are few data points (which you also know from google search).
AMC - Oldest school 1839, Conn (Public) 1968 and Hofstra 2008 (Newest)
All 3 are almost small same class size 134, 107, 105.
MD Fees: $58k, $37 IS / $71 OOS, $51k
USRank NR, 52/31, 72/85
U can find Times Ranking also.

In general US medical education is standard. Certainly each school faculty, research strength and financial strength, funding from NIH etc differs and hence the opportunities and perception ( is reality unfortunately!) differs.

So look at ranking in group and not by individual number. Lot of debate will erupt on what basis rankings are given etc.,These 3 schools are almost in the same band T51-T75.

Residency match: We like to spend lot of time on this. At the end, it evolves and also if the child is determined and ready to put in the efforts he will get the residency of choice.

If you are Conn resident or eligible for Conn IS fees, I will go there, even if you have saved the Million for your child.

@medadmin2019 D chose Union/LIM and withdrew from her other interviews, including Hofstra. I will give you her thinking although it may not be completely applicable since you are looking at RPI rather than Union.

D really liked Union for undergrad. Take a look at the undergrad options in addition to the medical school options. I don’t think a kid has to love the undergrad, but if they are going to hate it, that could be problematic. Make sure your D is at least comfortable at her choice.

This is what I have learned through my own research. Some of it comes from helpful people on this forum.

Hofstra medical school is brand new and has wonderful facilities. They are affiliated with Northwell health and seem to be having good success with the match. Albany is much older and the facilities are run down. My D didn’t seem to care about that at all. Abany’s match rates seem fine from what I can tell. They are not a research heavy institution but have a few areas where they stand out - specifically cancer and immunology. They also have a reputation for taking more non-traditional medical students – somewhat older people, people coming from other careers, etc. They made a point of telling us this at D’s interview. My sense is that many of the non-trad students are more geared towards primary care and that also influences their match results.

Hofstra requires the MCAT and only allows 1 try. My daughter was not thrilled with that and to be honest, neither was I. Our kids are all bright and motivated but anyone can have a bad day. If you miss the mark, you are stuck applying in the regular pool. I would at least make sure that Hofstra has the right tools to help someone apply in the regular way – good pre-med advising, etc. All the other programs we considered at least offered multiple tries. Brooklyn allows 3. This may not be much of a concern if your kid has truly brilliant at standardized testing as some of these kids are.

I don’t know anything about Uconn. Cograts on having such a great choice!

@TheAmazing777 What was your final decision in regards to accepting the Hofstra bs/md? Any regrets, or things you had not considered in your post http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/1985066-cons-of-hofstra-p2.html ?

I read online that RPI/AMC allows you to do a 10 year BS/MD/PhD

Is this true?