Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

Trying to find out if son ( Junior) has descent shot at any 7-8 year BS MD programs.

ACT -35 ( one sitting), regororous courses and (top 10% in competitive school in NJ) and ORM, EMT few years, Hospital volunteer at ER, Nursing homes, Club President , few state #1s in public speaking, Student board member, Mayors council and few community service leadership engagements.

@Sps3273 - Yes, he has more than a decent shot but no one can give you the odds. Mak sure he does well in SAT IIs. Does he have any research experience? lot of schools need that. Given that you are from NJ, you have several options in your region. BSMD is the ultimate goal, apply widely and expect a roller coaster ride :smile:

@Sps3273 What is UW GPA ? It is also an important stat along with standardized tests.

@grtd2010 In my opinion, the fact that he is in the top 10% of his high school says more than any unweighted GPA would.

@srk2017 Yes he is doing research in his summer of this year. Thank You for detailed response.

GPA: end of sophomore year grades
4.3 Weighted GPA (Expected 4.5)
3.85Unweighted GPA (Expected 3.9)

SAT: not yet, aiming for 1500+

Honor and AP Classes:
Sophomore ā€” Geometry Honors, POE Honors, AP Computer Science Principles
Junior ā€” PreCalc Honors, AP USH, AP Microeconomics, AP Biology, AP Physics
Senior ā€” AP Calc AB, AP Statistics, AP Chemistry, AP Government, AP Macroeconomic, AP Themes

SAT Subject Tests:
Chemistry
Math ||
Biology

Research: Iā€™m starting research for a well know research doctor at a big college. I will be doing cancer research, which relates back to my essay topic of cancer (connection).

Volunteering:
100 Hours Senior Home care (leader)
60 Hours Class Board (leading)
100 Hours Hospital
25 Hours Library
25 Hours Activites Volunteering
40 Hours Shopping for gifts (leader of class)
15 Hours dance marathon (captain)

Volunteering/work that sets me apart:
Mini Medical School
Teaching Assistant at Mini Medical School

Awards:
2018 Vex Design Award at State
2018 Qualified for World Championship
2019 Vex Design Award at Stare
2019 Qualified for World Championship

Gold Honor Roll * 6-7
Highest Honor Student
National Honor Society
AP Scholar with Distinction (expected)
AP National Scholar (expected)

(Years)
JV Swimming (1)
Vex Robotics (4)
Class Board (3)
IM Cricket (3)
JV and Varsity Debate (3)
FDA (3)

Please chance me! This is updated and I have not posted my stats in a while and want to give updated stats.

Chance me for bsmd programs. I havenā€™t really looked into them all, but all the instate oneā€™s for sure

Sorry for the spam. Forgot to mention, Iā€™m Male and Indian, and high enough income

I already have a 1450 and Iā€™m grinding over the summer. Iā€™m also in one of the most competitive high schools in the nation. There is no rank. Sorry for the spam

@bearsfan21 - youā€™re off to a great start. Just continue what you have been doing and follow through on your intended plans that you listed and you will be a very competitive applicant. However, as it has been mentioned several times here, itā€™s unpredictable to predict an outcome to a specific program and it is encouraged to cast a wide net (apply to several BSMD programs). Best of luck!

@OldSchoolMD Thanks for your response!

I was a bit worried about my GPA as itā€™s 3.85 currently and it will be around 3.92. Is that fine for an uw gpa?

@bearsfan21 3.9+ is good enough. Stop worrying about too much about GPA. Focus on other things. Also, as others said BSMD is very unpredictable given the number of admissions. Be prepared yourself to take traditional path also. Have fun and stop spending too much time on this website.

I am debating between UMKC and VCU GMED (presidential scholarship)

Any thoughts?

VCU GMED for sure
Better ranking than UMKC

@Mimic17 - Canā€™t simply go by ranking :wink: Need pros and cons between both the schools. @neurochic - I am personally against 6 year programs, so on that basis alone I will go with VCU. Whatā€™s the rush to finish in 6 years when you are expected to work till 70 and you get to go to college once!

@neurochic

I thought you also had the option of NJMS, which saves you a year, if thatā€™s what you are looking for in UMKC. Not sure why you dropped from your consideration, itā€™s fine you donā€™t have to reveal. But in case you havenā€™t already, advise you have a look at their very impressive recent residency match lists. Also you may want to compare the money difference between NJMS and VCU and how big a deal it will be in reaching a decision.

Well both NJMS and VCU medical schools and undergrad come out to similar amounts with difference of 50 grand. My family did not like the area (personal preference) and were not comfortable sending me to college there. As much as I did like the school, I officially gave up my seat so someone else on the waitlist could have a chance.

UMKC vs VCU Gmed for going into surgery? Is it worth the stress for six years?

There is no waitlist for NJMSā€¦

Seeking input from more senior/experienced members of this forum. Any recommendations between Hofstra (8 years), FAU ((7 years), and Tcnj/NJMS, Rutgers/NJMS?

I have ruled out Hofstra so itā€™s between NJMS and FAU. Cost is not an issue.

I am a west coaster so out of state for both of these.

Thoughts?