Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

I thought all the BSMD programs had single digit admit rates. What is the rate for BU and NU?

@gallentjill

I said intakes (total slots) in the programs, not the acceptance rates. I don’t consider some of these programs as true BS/MD programs if the student bodies they are serving is below a critical mass. Not sure why they even have those programs to start with and their purpose, they might as well close the doors like UCSD did 2-3 years back.

Yes acceptance rates are pretty much single digits percentage wise for all these highly competitive programs. The other % age I was referring to was enrollment, i.e. how many among those accepted (i.e. single digits % wise) actually ended up enrolling there. Higher the percentage, greater the popularity of the program.

Also find someone’s earlier conclusion about low gpa requirement as the main reason for people enrolling, pretty amusingly laughable ! Many of the students enrolling there are their high school valedictorians and salutatorians!

low GPA and MCAT requirements is the one of the main criteria for lot people choosing BSMD programs since they don’t want to get burned out or feel they already put in too much in HS to become valedictorians or already invested too much in medical related ECs in HS and don’t want to go thru the grind again. Valedictorians who wants to stay competitive and wants to target T20 medical schools (for whatever reasons ) don’t apply or accept BSMD.

Main reason some of the top schools closed BSMD programs is the competitiveness of their MD programs and felt that there is no need for them to have administrative overhead of BSMD programs.

@med2023, I will let @GoldenRock explain since his D successfully transitioned from BSMD to traditional MD :slight_smile:

@med2023 Refer back to my previous posts in the last 2 months. Either click my handle and click replies or in this thread or experience thread, put my name in the search icon. Listed 8 or 10 things to do.

How about non-binding bs/md programs, don’t they serve dual purpose ? Admitted BS/MD students are free to apply elsewhere also after 4 years.

@bsmdseeker2019 That is a very good option. That relieves the stress of the student and still give it a try. But make sure you are committed to the BS/MD program even if other school are not going to get. In that way no regret at any point. Very few programs only. Some they won’t state explicitly also.

Thank you @rk2017, @GoldenRock, @gallentjill, @PPofEngrDr, @Mahikesh, @grtd2010 and @srk2017 for your different perspectives. All of your great advice really resonates with how we currently feel. To answer some of your queries, my D also got into 2 other programs but has withdrawn from one already. The other one is associated with an UG which we are not too keen to send her to. I believe the UG has to be decent too because 4 years of your formative adult life is a long time to spend in surroundings where you don’t feel compelled to be competitive and where you don’t have access to good resources either. I don’t think she needs to go to the best UG school but the vibe has to be competitive enough so she can continue to motivate herself to be better. So that’s the dilemma we are in. We really feel that the NU opportunity is just too good to pass even though it is cost prohibitive. @gallentjill really appreciate the article you shared about loan forgiveness programs, which we were not aware of.

For variety of reasons, each school offer BS/MD programs. It is not that only if the program has seats 25 or whatever magic number it is something to consider. Many well known programs have single digits BS/MD seats starting with R/B (6). (My personal #1 BS/MD program)

UCSD closed because it came to a situation, it is impossible to select only 12 students. pretty much more than 200 to 300 applicants are absolutely fabulous and not offering is hard to digest. That level of competition since CA is the state which produces the maximum number of MD applicants and maximum number of matriculation for MD.

Agree that no one should assume that merit aid is going to happen for MD. But at the same time, it is not right to assume every one can afford. It ($) is a significant aspect for families and that forces to take a balanced choice.

Just because my my boss or my classmates lives in Athreton or Los Altos Hills, I don’t want to buy a house there and pay loans for next 5 generations. I can still live in my hut (still it costs millions!) in some dense residential area. Individual choice. Looking at X or Y threads in SDN, there are many who don’t accept at so called Harvard because their COA is cheaper at alternate schools.

Just as I write this post, there is a white student from NY with 3.82 GPA and 515 MCAT got $30k MERIT aid from Einstein. He had 3 years gap, so don’t know what extra ordinary he did. But his GPA and MCAT score and being white does not show any significant attention to get merit aid. But it happens. Good for him.

@gladitsover
Apologies - haven’t been on the forum for a couple of days and most of my email alerts are going to junk mail.

Looks like many folks had expressed their opinion.

Financing and taking on debt is a very personal choice and value system.
I know many families who are just debt averse and I know many families who would take the debt to make an investment into their child’s education.
It will boil down to where you are comfortable with.

NU with loans provided by NU at 4.5% will cost about 600K+100K (interest) = 700K over 7 years and paid over 10 to 17 years. Unless you get into a Texas medical school, most medical schools with cost around 300K - 400K.

Essentially, you are looking at 200K+interest extra for NU.
Question for you - are you willing to make that extra investment?

If the answer is NO, make sure you have a good conversation with your D re: finances and why you are making that decision. At 17, they are mature enough to understand the pros and cons.

PS:

1. NU has a special conditions review - if you send them those special conditions explanation, they may review your aid package. But you are fighting against time now with May 1 deadline.

2. If you second child starts college in 2 years, your EFC will go down.
    There are many online calculators - check how much potentially NU will give in aid. Talk to the financial aid office.
    However, please take the decision assuming that NU will not give any aid even in that condition.

3. DO NOT use your retirement money to fund education. You can get loans for education but not for retirement.
    I do NOT know of any doctor who has NOT been able to repay their loans.

@gladitsover - apologies
Post was meant for @gladitsover19

medical school debit is big topic on SDN. Anyone who is thinking of taking loans should check out SDN before making their decisions.

@gallentjill
I think @rk2017 was referring to the attrition rate - very low attrition rates at NU and BU.
At NU, 19 or 20 out of 20 BS/MD students matriculate into the medical school.

@dooblydoo
Can you share which two programs who are comparing?
It may make things easier for folks to respond.

I recommend also checking their residency matches.

@NoviceDad, @gallentjill
Sorry about any confusion, but I am referring to enrollment or matriculation rates (2018 cycle). To be specific, 31 or 32 students out of 38 accepted (out of what 2k+ applicants?) for BU SMED chose to enroll there though majority of them did not get any merit based awards. I believe having read similar numbers for NU’s.
Yes attrition rates of both the programs are around 5%.

Are we talking about Yield Rate now (% of students accepted the offer from admission offer pool)?

BU SMED vs VCU GMED

@rk2017
So the programs were BU and VCU GMED. Admittedly the VCU program does not offer the kind of prestigious school or research opportunities that BU does. But the undergrad will be around 40k for me, and for BU will be 225k, totaling 600k. That is a hefty amount, my parents can only support the first year of undergrad, totaling 150k for undergrad, and 510k at best. Yes, I am stuck in the worst of the middle class. BU’s match list is amazing, but VCU GMEDs have a good shot at applying to top med schools too, in addition to their reserved seat. VCU and BU med school will cost the same, around 360k. So totals: VCU: 400k, BU: 510-585k. Saving money in the undergrad is compelling: right now, the almost 200k difference doesn’t seem like much, but when it begins accumulating interest it will be very difficult. Do BU students end up making more money to pay than VCU? I am unable to predict the future. Additionally, I am not a perfect student, I am very fortunate to have these chances, and the traditional route will be difficult if I go to VCU, which is not a highly ranked undergrad. Though competition may be less than if I go to Hopkins/Berkeley. But, at the end of the day, I think I have decided I want to be a doctor but I don’t want to spend my entire life working to pay off debt.

@dooblydoo

As I said you got to do what you got to do. You know exactly what your family means are and your own comfort level. Going to VCU GMED is a decent option too which I am sure many wish to have but unfortunately don’t. What you make of your career is to a large extent dependent upon you, the student. I am sure VCU has plenty of research and other opportunities too which you may want to embark on at your earliest convenience and go from there. Good luck!

@dooblydoo - $200K is not worth spending for BU over VCU. With interest you will be paying for long time. Doctor salaries don’t vary by school you went to. As others said from every medical school you find couple of students matching to top programs. So work hard at VCU and you will be fine. Going to top 20 schools may help getting residencies in top 20 programs but after that school rank doesn’t matter that much.