Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

@NoviceDad shared on results thread. Thank you for all ur help. Sorry about the delay.

@diaash Thanks for the post in the results thread. GL @RPI/AMC.

@grtd2010 Are you or wife is a physician?

Thank you @diaash

A news to cheer about for all who are going to NJMS and/or Newark area for direct or traditional routes. Saw some news clipping today on TV that Newark’s Beth Israel is ranked as one of the “World’s” best medical facilities. They did not mention what the rating agency is (hope sincerely it is not US News & World Report)

Hello everyone - I am a rising senior and planning to apply for bsmd next year. I have the option of doing 6 weeks research in summer or do more shadowing at a hospital. Which one will look better in my resume? Research is not local, so i will have to stay in a different state. Is research madatory for bsmd admission?

@coolguy456 - Some schools like RPI/AMC require research experience. You don’t need more than 40-60 hours of shadowing.

@BarkLouder
Thanks for sharing your perspectives on the results thread.
Good luck at RPI/AMC.
@diaash is also joining there.

@coolguy456
Do Research

@BarkLouder
thank you for taking the time to provide great suggestions for next cycle applicants - very helpful.

Folks

College Board is coming up with an “Adversity Score”. It was used on a pilot basis by 50 colleges this year and will expand to 150 next year.

This score will be unknown to students but colleges will access it. Score is between 0 to 100 and a score of 50 means average adversity while lower means privilege.
It is another means “to get to race without talking about race” as someone put it.

It will negatively impact practically all Asian / ORM kids.

WSJ has carried an article on this today.

Some sent me that article. Too much social engineering going on in this country!

@NoviceDad

All the more reason for Asian/Indian kids to go for BSMD. Haven’t met a BSMD program yet that practices overt AA-such as certain colleges accepting mostly white/african-american/hispanic students even though the majority of applicants are Asian/Indian.

Pretty much almost everyone applying to BSMD programs is Asian or Indian- this is the great equalizer, since acceptances are now based entirely on academic/extracurricular merit, essays, and interviews instead of arbitrary factors such as racial identification.

How many non Asian/Indian apply to BSMD and willing to shell out 300K-500K? I only saw one or two non asian/indian kids at AMC and BU interviews.

Here is data from AAMC website for 2019. I see acceptances are propositional to the # of applicants in their race category. Agree that qualified Asian’s don’t get admission as they are competing them-self.

Race - Applicants / Matriculates - Percent Accepted

Asian - 11216 / 4786 - 42.67%
White - 24680 / 10780 - 43.67%
African American - 4430 / 1540 - 34.76%
Hispanic - 3296 / 1349 - 40.92%

That data is useless without GPA/MCAT stats. URMs are getting accepted at less rate than Asians and whites.

I came across some statistics few months back and may had posted as well. the summary of that report is % population vs % of Dr from that population.
It confirmed that African American and Latinos MD contribution hasn’t changed in last 40 years (static 6-7%),while population grow
 Asian American have jumped drastically (6% to 22%) and take a big bite out of white MDs (drop from 70% to 52%)

Speaking of Adversity Score, it sounds like they are targeting socioeconomic diversity within colleges, not necessarily means another way to include race and disadvantage to Asian Americans. E.g. a while applicant from WV mines area may have same disadvantage as an African American from south side of Chicago, hence they may have similar adversity score.

I call BS- this is a policy that regardless of intent, is targeted at the children of Asian first generation immigrants.

Almost all first generation immigrants who legally came from Asia are relatively well off, since they needed to be very educated and intelligent in order to get H1B visas.

Thus, its no surprise that in America, the highest earning income group is Asians- our immigration system has naturally selected for the smartest and hardest working of Asians to come over, and be successful in the US.

This ‘Adversity Score’ concept means that Asian children get hurt by a double whammy: affirmative action and socioeconomic status. I can’t imagine the drop in admissions for Asians at top 20 colleges next year when more colleges incorporate this scoring system.

Majority of immigration happens through family links, H1B is very small set.

from what I am reading through and interpreting the adversity score, actually it will nullify affirmative action as privileged/underprivileged (any race/color/ethnicity) would have similar score based on socioeconomic status, not based on race, i.e a privileged Asian American is as par with privileged white as par with privileged Latino, vice a versa for underprivileged.

that may happen for any privileged, but it may fill with any underprivileged.