Thrive Scholars Round 2 Thread

i completed my interview this morning! it was only about 30 minutes long and my interviewer was super nice; they mainly asked about overcoming adversity, parts of your education, extracurriculars, etc.

but now we have to wait until late april to hear back :”)

Could someone explain what it means to over come adversity ? And how someone would approach the question?

adversity is just any difficulty or misfortune you have experienced and how you were able to “overcome” or do well regardless of it.

my interviewer asked me about a difficult time i had faced and how it changed my view of something/changed me.

i discussed how being outed as gay to my family changed how i viewed my education/college. the lack of acceptance i faced from my family led to me viewing college as less of an obligation to them (obligation in the sense that i am firstgen and we are immigrants, so advancing academically has always been stressed in my family) and more as a place where i can one day be my true self. i connected the experience to my advancement as a leader in my community and how the experience has allowed me to meet other people (LGBT+, first gen, poc, etc) and cultivate a safe space where we can talk about these parts of ourselves.

you can talk about personal struggles, financial struggles, familial struggles, really anything that negatively impacted your life but you somehow came out on the other side.

i hope that helps! good luck C: <3

2 Likes

I’m a prospective applicant for thrive and I wanted to know if any rounds of the application require teacher/counselor recommmection letters?

Yeah round 2 the one that we’re all in right now.

i hope everyone completed their interviews successfully!! if you haven’t done it yet ik y’all will do amazing!!!

1 Like

Doing my interview today. I’ll tell you guys how it went after

good luck!!! make sure to be yourself and be conversational instead of memorizing an answer.

1 Like

I finished the interview and I think it went pretty well.

1 Like

I talked about how I get abused by my parents, the trauma from my alcoholic father, and struggling from years from becoming mute from the trauma.
I think it went well but the interview didn’t go as long as it was supposed to and I’m pretty worried about it only being 30 minutes.

Could just be your interviewer, hopefully he/she didn’t think you were just trying to get pity from him/her.

in the email i received they made it sound like 20-30min interviews are common. i guess if you had more questions for your interviewer you could’ve extended past that time. mine went over by just a few minutes because my interviewer and i were discussing her college experience and her career. but i think 30min is just fine C:

I told the interviewer multiple times that I wasn’t telling them about it to get sympathy, I was just trying to tell them about my situation and why I’m so determined to get out of it.

My life is just my life and if people pity me for it then its them. I’m just used to the abuse so I had to adapt to it.

Bruh I’m kinda offended that you even mentioned pity. Why would I try to get pity for something that is normal for me. I get that other people don’t experience the kind of things that I go through but I don’t pity myself for it. That doesn’t mean I’m going to let myself die in a bad situation either. I don’t want anyone to pity me because what I go through is what made me a stronger and more battle hardened person.

1 Like

Did anyone else apply to the USC Bovard Program? If so, did you get in?

i didn’t apply for that program. i did apply for leda though

My D applied to the USC Bovard Program when she was in the 11th grade and got in. Then she was admitted to SCS Noonan (now Thrive). She ultimately declined the USC offer and is a Thrive Scholar now.

3 Likes

Im kinda late to this thread, but does anyone know when we’ll find out if we were accepted

1 Like

around the end of april C:

1 Like