Timeline for music admissions

I have a rising junior and we feel a bit overwhelmed over all the pieces for music admissions.
Since we live in a west coast, visiting schools, doing in person lessons (we aren’t too crazy about online), is not as easy. We could however use school breaks to fly out to visit and try lessons. Would it make sense to do this during the junior year? If so, how early in the junior year? I’m

Can you clarify the focus/genre (classical, jazz, popular) and voice vs instrumental? It will help those on this thread provide more specific ideas/responses.
And agree that it is overwhelming especially in junior year…so many unknowns and processes to figure out. The path becomes clearer.

Classical cello

My classical instrumentalist used the summer before junior year and all of junior year as a time to identify the following:

1. Type of degree (he decided BMP)
  2. The environment in which he wanted to study (conservatory vs university based music programs) undecided by auditions and ended up auditioning at both types
  3. Specific teachers and programs
  4. Opportunities/chance for merit
  5. Repertoire for the most likely programs that he was pursuing

Everyone will have their own path, priorities and timeline. And it is absolutely normal to not have the specific end goal in mind in junior year…my son ended up learning a lot about what he wanted during auditions. For my son, the teacher and program were the most important aspects in his decision process. So he started there.

We also live across the country from all of his choices. My son was fortunate enough to be able to participate in summer programs and master classes which allowed him to have lessons/contact with several of the top teachers on his instrument. His private teacher was a huge help with his knowledge of teachers, programs and studio level.

I know that many students do not have the opportunity to explore teachers early as mine did. And up to you if you choose to do that this early. But it is expensive and time consuming. Other ways to start to hone the teacher/program list are by listening to recordings of students (ie the cello senior recitals), contacting students currently at that school if your child knows them through older kids from their pre-college program, consulting with your current private teacher.

By the start of Senior year, my son had a list of 6 programs (4 match schools and 2 reaches) from a music standpoint and merit potential. He had all of his repertoire ready at that time as well. I don’t know if cello has more variability in audition selections…oboe is fairly standardized.

From there it is a whirlwind of passing prescreens and taking live auditions. My son had 2 live sample lessons after he passed his prescreens at one conservatory. Other than that, no school visits prior to his auditions. That worked fine for him…he seems able to get a good feel for fit in a short time. But everyone is different.

My son landed at a great program which is perfect for him! And we had many hours of feeling lost along the way. But it became clearer as we went and we got much better at being patient and not knowing all of the answers.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

What if he knows what he wants. When is it too early to do sample lessons?

Does he have a private teacher who is experienced in this? It is early to do trial lessons because many kids will have improvement over junior year. Also, starting now will be confusing and complicated since many seniors will be trying to get in touch and get lessons. My understanding is earliest is late spring of junior year.
And I have a spread sheet that I have made for the audition programs and non audition programs, with prescreen and audition pieces and a second sheet that consolidates. It is complicated.

1 Like

My son’s experience is that it’s not too early to go for sample lessons with college professors if they are willing to give you the time. Even for paid lessons, they don’t have the time to teach everyone who would ask. His first lessons (with 3 professors from 3 schools) were during the summer before sophomore year. However, some of his friends didn’t take sample lesson with college professor until the summer before senior year.
My son had his lessons that early because (I guess) that was the COVID summer and all of a sudden Zoom lessons were available so he took advantage of that. At that time his goal was to explore different teaching styles and ways to practice and improve (yes he was bored). It had little to do with college application. One year after, during the summer after sophomore year, he wanted to be professional violist, so he asked those professors again and some others for private lessons and evaluations. They all agreed, and I think three professors invited him to apply to their studios. By the time of his admission auditions, the professors not only knew his skill level but also his progress, which should be an advantage.
Just to clarify, my son had sample lessons with at least 5 professors, only two lessons with one professor was in person. I don’t remember how many times he had lessons with who but the impression is at least two with each professor. There were other professional violists he had private lessons with via Zoom or other platform(s). Each lesson cost $150-300 for 1-2 hours. It’s costly but much less than traveling to another city, and saves time :slight_smile:

2 Likes

By this, do you mean that he already knows the type of program he wants to pursue? Or has he already decided on specific programs/teachers?

Personally, I would only use a sample lesson involving significant travel expense to clarify teacher and program. And even then, I would recommend later in junior year.

2 Likes

This is very helpful. Thank you. Yes, he thinks he knows exactly what he wants. We will start to think about it all then in the spring of junior year. It seems with only two months off in the summer, and summer programs at 6 weeks long, there is really no time for anything at all.

3 Likes

Agreed! S24 is actually going to record some audition videos now since they are polished pieces since the summer is going to be so busy and supplement in the fall which is going to be chaos. He is going to meet a few teachers in the fall and has made contacts already. If he changes his mind and decides to apply to BM programs things will be even more chaotic.

2 Likes

So how do kids fly all over for auditions with school? Do we get excused?

For our school there are a certain number of excused absences for seniors for approved college visits, then there are just regular absences. Most auditions are on Saturdays, that is an issue for kids like mine in pre-conservatory programs on Saturdays but we are guessing that those programs definitely understand.

1 Like

My son did vocal performance and luckily was able to send in recordings for most of his auditions. He then chose to meet via Zoom for follow up some of the final list and did visit a few as well.

My senior has like 60 plus tardies or absences this year. Senioritis is a thing. He took a lighter senior year and is passing everything. He is SO ready for college to start. He just wants to be done with hs and be with people who are more interested in the things he is interested in.

3 Likes

Yes, music admissions process could be overwhelming for students and their families. How many schools does your kid consider? Is your kid’s private teacher supportive and experienced with admissions process? Planning is important, D23 and her private teacher worked on consolidating her prescreen and audition repertoire and it worked out in the end.

There are wonderful annual threads here for music admissions - I would recommend reading through a couple of those threads - you will get a good feel for the cycle.

Visits are great, if you have time and opportunity, try to schedule them during school semester and attend concerts/showcases/ talk to students, don’t just do tours.

What do you or your kid dislike about virtual lessons? Does your kid have virtual lessons experience?

Not all teachers charge for sample lessons, or offer 30 minute free online sessions, and many only offer virtual sample lessons, not in-person. D23 ended up doing one virtual live audition, and submitted several recorded ones.

I would say summer after Junior year and early fall of Senior year are the best for sample lessons, two years in advance is way too early, there is a good amount of growth happening that summer before senior year, especially if your student is attending summer festivals/workshops. Another thing to consider as an argument against very early sample lessons - possible changes in faculty/turnover. This happened at two conservatories/SOMs my D23 was applying to.

2 Likes

Yes, luckily we have an excellent and very experienced teacher. So maybe I worry over nothing. We are in good hands.
Mine just does so much better in person. He isn’t nervous and just simply performs better in person. We have dealt with some online classes/masterclsses. work. It’s just not the same.

I guess we have been chatting a lot lately about potential visits to schools and how we can arrange all of this from such distance so the idea of combining lessons came up. I realize we are going to have to rethink this now.text*

2 Likes

You have many excellent comments above. Here are a few more:

1. Your kid could talk with his teacher about taped/virtual lessons/auditions. My D has to do a lot of them in the real world. She doesn’t like them as much as in-person auditions. Still she has worked on them…and figured out how to them…as best she can. You may want to encourage your kid to try to be more open minded and look at it as necessary skill…that he may need in the future. Doing a little practice and work on it may be better than having to do a taped/virtual lessons/auditions with all the baggage of…”I’m not good at this”. Some teachers may end up requesting it…so best to be prepared.

2.). The process is overwhelming. Keep in mind that not everyone has the time and money to do every step right. So do what you can…and don’t stress about the rest. No one has to do 100% to get accepted (or my kid would never have gotten in to a music school!). Just do a bit each month or so…and focus on exploring opportunities right now. You are early in the game.

3.). Kids get into schools based on talent…not parents doing everything right. Give him some opportunities…along with guidance from his teacher. Your contribution to his success (besides being a supportive parent with a wallet) is pretty minimal. The private teacher and his talent will do most of the work. Stay supportive with a blind faith in his success (trust me, easier said than done)…and let the teacher worry about the details. That is how you stay sane and enjoy the ride.

2 Likes

Absolutely. He will do online ones if needed, but given the option, he much prefers in person.

I think we are going to use school breaks to vacation in places where we can visit schools. I realized it was a mistake not to visit colleges when my older kid was applying. Even if we don’t do sample lessons, it will help to see the places.

Heading into junior year my son pretty much knew his major area (performance/guitar but was back and forth between contemporary and jazz studies). We used Jr year for some visits (Belmont, NYU, New School). We used the summers (sophomore, junior) for college camps where he met and worked with actual department professors for guitar (SO helpful). These opportunities became built in lessons. He started with a broad list of 10-12 schools he was interested in. This helped us whittle his application list down to 6. We planned to audition at all 6. He got through 3 auditions and was accepted into his first choice which also happened to be a great financial match for us so he did not continue with the other auditions…he was able to do this only bc he was familiar with the schools and professors he would be working with and knew his choice going into the process. Do the lessons and visits and it will make the process so much easier!

4 Likes