Tips for Visiting Atlanta & Northlake, for Big-City Girl?

Just wanted to report back that our visit to Atlanta went very well.

We ended up staying in mid-town, two blocks from Piedmont Park. Enjoyed a nice walk around the lake with everything green or in bloom. Liked several coffee shops and varied restaurants on the side streets within a few blocks.

Drive to Mercer was barely 20 minutes.
From there, we found it to be a quick trip to the ethnic shops and restaurants along Bufort Highway, and further on to the Marta Station and to see the new developments along 141.

Decatur was well received by all.
A quick stop at Five Points was a nice contrast as far as atmosphere, but also liked, but even more so was Ponce City Market, and the roof-top entrance to the Belt Line path that could easily take you back to Piedmont Park.

We did visit the shops at Atlantic Station which seemed less like “destination”, and did appreciate the design of Centennial Park, and the options it would offer (if there had been time). Saw the Fox Theatre and the Atlanta Shakespeare Company, as well as the Midtown Museums along Peachtree.

So - a heartfelt thank you to everyone’s kind advice and guidance!

Never had a need to try MARTA, with street parking in abundance and light traffic (at least from a NY perspective) everywhere, at least during the weekend. It was fascinating that one could drive from midtown Atlanta to almost anywhere inside the “loop” in well under half an hour. On a bad day, it might take me that long just to go crosstown Manhattan :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Glad you had a good visit! I was actually thinking about y’all today and wondering how it went.

1 Like

I’m in Atlanta and don’t know how I missed this thread! :woman_shrugging: :woman_shrugging: :rofl: :rofl:

But it sounds like you received good advice and had a nice visit.

Sorry about the pollen! :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Other than a rental car company without rental cars upon arrival, and an airline without airplanes upon (attempted) departure - Atlanta ITSELF went well. :smirk:

Reporting back a year later.

After a normal slow start in a new city, daughter has made many friends (outside her also very friendly cohort group) - so many that she “unsubscribed” from “Dad’s Logistics Service” :cry: and managed the move to a different apartment completely independently. I was told there were so many pick-ups, cars and helpers that everything was moved in one swoop by mid-morning and the biggest challenge was everyone wanting to unpack and already put things away in the new place. And that was mid-week!

She’s now in Virginia-Highland (one of the neighborhoods originally suggested here @jpga13, Decatur was another strong contender @Publisher). The new place is two blocks from the Beltline, walkable for food shopping (actually shopping for anything), restaurants, lively main streets, etc. - all the things she had missed in her first (very fabulous, well-managed) apartment complex at the edge of Brookwood. It’s lucky coincidence that she moved out just in time just as drama started to brew (unrelated to her) for her old room mate. Her new room mate will be the “new one” in town.

Academically, things went as well as they possibly could - but the first year (essentially and necessarily) being lecture-only, year-round, and all in the one academic field, was a big adjustment. The second year will have fewer lecture days and she’s excited to start more than one “hands-on”, at-location, activities for most days each week.

@DramaMama2021 So thank you everyone :relieved:, incl. those not expressly tagged.

2 Likes

FWIW The Beltline around Atlanta is referred to as the Perimeter (unless you were using Beltline to describe something different than 285).

ATL resident here–the “Beltline” is a scenic pedestrian boulevard that is very built up with restaurants and shops.

3 Likes

Agreed.

1 Like

Welcome back when was the last time in you were in Atlanta?

2 Likes

And while most people talk about living ITP or OTP (inside or outside the perimeter) most people seem to refer to 285 as 285. Except when talking about an old situation with a Braves baseball player many years ago who got lost driving on 285 and went round and round and didn’t get to the baseball stadium. He was known as perimeter Perez.

The belt line is a wonderful walking/biking trail as described above. The greenway is as well but doesn’t have the shops (though the in town greenway is scheduled to connect to the beltline one day).

3 Likes

Also sorry I didn’t see this thread earlier. Va-Hi is a very popular area for the young crowd. And accessible to little five points, Inman park, old fourth ward, etc. Hope she enjoys her new residence!

2 Likes

He wasn’t lost (late) because of the perimeter. It was his nose.

Thank you.

Family visits several times per year, but everyone has moved well north of the perimeter (285).

Have about two dozen family members/relatives there. (Family members have daily contact. No mention of beltline.)

I do not go as often and do not go to the east side anymore, but I may increase time in the area as many acquaintances are directly involved in the upcoming political trial.

Just googled beltline project. The multi-year project just finished this year according to what I read.

2 Likes

Makes sense hadnt been aware until my most recent visit. Great community project. Thanks and welcome back.

1 Like

The Beltline is a multi year project and still ongoing. However, the area referred to by digitaldad has been in use for years and is bordered by restaurants, residences, bars/breweries/distilleries, and much more. It is very popular for both residents and visitors. We’ve enjoyed it since my now college junior was in middle school. It sounds like your family is in the suburbs so it would make sense they may not be familiar.

On one of your visits consider spending time at Ponce City Market, make a reservation to check out the rooftop entertainment area (Skyline Park), and walk over to the nearby section of the Beltline.

2 Likes

It’s several sections (some over 10 years ago) - in various stages of surfacing/development, or yet to be connected/extended, with parks being added. Obviously very popular between Piedmont Park to (and beyond) Ponce City Market, which has been there for quite many years.

Can get quite busy with families, strollers, dog-walkers - which makes that section a bit challenging for skaters/bicyclists even runners, because most pedestrians have no concept of the meaning of “multi-use” trails. :wink:

Proximity to the Beltline is the prominent feature/criteria in metro-Atlanta real estate ads.

1 Like

Thanks.
Her first call the evening of moving in had been her beaming that she had just come back from walking to do her grocery shopping. And it seems the property is well maintained and very quick to respond to any issues, things you don’t really find out until after you’ve moved in. Big enough to warrant someone’s attention, small enough to establish personal relation with staff.

And of course, as someone had pointed out in a different thread: Reverse commuting to the university / internship / practicum locations in 20 minutes or so.

2 Likes

I must be missing the joke??? His nose?? The night Pascual Perez got lost -- and found a spot in Braves history

1 Like

here’s the story behind the beltline. The original plan/start was a Ga Tech grad student’s masters thesis! My older s lived in town back then (miss him) in Inman Park, and his apartment complex was right on the beltline. But, back then it was mud and construction! News Center Features | Georgia Institute of Technology

1 Like

Pasqual was doing a LOT of nose candy at the time. Not heresay.

1 Like