Tips on college research

Those were some truly excellent points by @GoldRush2.

One other factor, beyond looking at the core curriculum, is mapping out what 8 semesters (or whatever term length will be required for graduation) will look like with a proposed major. Are there classes that you find interesting that fulfill distribution requirements, or do they look like a chore? Is there sufficient room to take enough electives to make you happy? Or does it feel as though there’s an overload of classes? (For instance, some schools are based on 32 credits for graduation, i.e. 4 classes per semester. At others, the expectation is to take at least 5 classes per semester. Some might prefer fewer classes/semester while others will eliminate that schedule as too limiting.)

Also, do you have any interest in studying abroad or particular programs? Will you be able to do that with the major of your choice? Will the classes you take while abroad only fulfill electives, or will they also be able to fulfill any major or distribution requirements?

Also, how does the university onboard its first year students? Is there special summer programming, or available trips, or other options that will help students to build a social network prior to the regular semester? Or is orientation a half-day affair and students are left to be more independent in establishing themselves in a new location?

3 Likes

Vis a vis UMD I think this student would have a strong chance there - especially as they aren’t looking at CS or other impacted majors. That being said, you must apply EA there or all bets are off. They take a huge number of students EA.

1 Like

Yes, it’ll be a match/target school. Business is also a limited enrollment program (like CS) at UMD.

Visit schools if at all possible, even if it’s the virtual meetings. There were a few that I thought my son would love, and after stepping on campus/attending a virtual session, it was an immediate nope (like Princeton- he disliked the vibe and said everyone looked unhappy!) You could easily do a trip and hit your NYC schools and the take the train to UPenn or Brown. If he decides to apply to a bunch, make a note of which schools have an application outside of Common App. You can apply to some schools directly through their website and save yourself a CA slot. I think it’s just become the norm to have a list of 20+ schools, especially with admissions being so unpredictable and acceptance rates dropping. One thing I’d recommend is to have a rolling admissions school on the list and turn that one in really early (way before the Nov 1 deadline) so you have something in hand- makes everything less stressful. He has a great list so far!

4 Likes

Run NPC and discard any that aren’t financially doable.

Determine whether he wants Business or Econ. Different majors usually housed in different schools. Business schools are typically more competitive admits. Easier to apply business and transfer out than transfer in.

Move direct admit business schools to the top. Some schools like UGA don’t have guaranteed admission to the business school after sophomore year. UVA and UNC have holistic admissions which is even more of a gamble.

GT business is excellent, small and direct admit. I’m assuming the cost will be very low. S20 is there now.

5 Likes

My son had the same impression! :joy:

Curious, since my daughter feels the same about Greek life, where is your son applying or interested?

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.