To anyone who's interested, DS's final apps count and current status

Congrats and thanks for sharing this. It’s such interesting insight. Good luck with the rest!!!

He has some nice acceptances! Congrats!

2 Likes

He’s Native American with a GPA of 4.3? He’s going to get into every single one of them.

Oops. Didn’t read the results yet. I’m surprised, but at least there are some good choices!

LOL. Yeah, that’s the stereotype, right? But look at the actual results above–plenty of rejections already.

2 Likes

Nice on Rice. Big scholy?

Thanks for the updates! It’s incredibly interesting to see his results. I think there are some surprising rejections but some good acceptances too. I suspect he’ll have a few more exciting acceptances in the next week! Can’t wait to hear about his decision!

2 Likes

Yes! Definitely a contender!

2 Likes

Yesterday:
UNC Chapel Hill: Waitlisted
UMich: Rejected
Clemson: Rejected
USC: Rejected

Still waiting on Tufts, Vanderbilt, Georgetown, Duke and 7 Ivies. Dartmouth, Brown Columbia, Harvard Princeton, UPenn and Yale. It’s a crapshoot! He really loved UMich! In the rejection letters they suggested he transfer in after proving himself at another college. Was this the case for all rejections from UMich, USC and Clemson?

2 Likes

Yes, this has been a surprise! He worked and still is working very hard! I don’t know what the issue was unless there were many high-achieving Native Americans this year!

I thank you for continuing to share your S’s journey with us, it’s been helpful and instructive.

It seems one of the conclusions is that being a high achieving Native American is less of a hook than some of us have traditionally thought.

Good luck on the rest of the decisions!

4 Likes

@PrdMomto1 and @Shoppinmommy, This has been so very interesting! While I am hopeful, at this point, I would be surprised if he gets rejected/waitlisted by all of them except maybe Dartmouth, He was accepted into their fly-in program and had a great interview. At Rice he got into their SOAR program and At Amherst he attended their A2A program and was waitlisted in the end. Georgetown interviewed him but I think he should have applied ED instead of regular decision. Princeton interviewed him and he feels it went very well but we’ll see. Looking back at our application plans and wondering what would have worked better. But overall, very happy with the results! His dream school was Stanford but they rejected him. Tufts interviewed him and he thought it was one of his best interviews. Next week should be interesting and I will post as they come out! I just wanted to share as it has been very hard to get a handle on what to expect as a NA, IB, STEM-focused student who plays baseball at a very high level. Where I think he was weak was his STEM ECs, he didn’t apply to a lot of summer programs but last summer’s SHAD CANADA’s STEM program was a month long and a lot of work. Baseball takes at least 15-20 hours a week even in the off-season with training and such.

3 Likes

As you can see, the results are mixed and I for one, am glad he decided to apply to the many schools. It’s the one time he had to shoot his shot and see where he stands in the world right now. He’s gotten into some amazing schools. We have been on CC for a few years and this has been a boon of information and he went from over 150 schools he really liked to about 42, with the fee waiver, why not apply?

4 Likes

Wow, the nerve! Keep that letter. If and when he is ultra-successful they will look like fools.

@fiftyfifty1 Thank you for that! I will keep those letters! It did feel a bit condescending since he’s a top IB Student won multiple awards in our region and province.

5 Likes

My S got a similar letter from another school – he tossed it and said “they had their chance.” We wondered if it was just a way to try and drum up transfer applications. In any event he quickly moved on from that school and was very happy at the college he attended.

3 Likes

I don’t know. I really think it’s somewhat of a crapshoot for everyone and it’s hard to know what they are looking for. My D is an engineering major at Rice. She was on her high school Robotics team but not super involved. That was really her only STEM activity and she didn’t do any summer programs. Most of her time was taken up with her sport as well where she also competed at a high level. They just can’t do everything! Her admissions results were somewhat mixed as well, she got some admits she was excited about and some rejections that hurt. I think that’s pretty typical.

Your son has some great admits and it seems like he’s done what he can. You can’t make EVERY decision in high school about college applications. You have to do some things you enjoy. After high school my daughter swore she would not spend all of college worried about what would look best on her resume/grad school applications. Sure, she thinks about it but she’s also trying to enjoy her time there and isn’t just looking forward.

Are you Canadian citizens?

2 Likes

DS had the same sense! He figured if the school didn’t want him…let them go. He knows his potential as a future Indigenous Engineering scientist will be bright and research in Indigenous fields have increasing demands. The schools that love him, he will be making some great achievements someday to repay their belief in him. Eventually he will have to choose one but he’ll always carry a soft spot for those who said yes to him. Future collaborations and all that jazz.

5 Likes

Yes, we are Canadian, but also American citizens as well. Hubby is from US. Thank you for the information on your D’s experience at Rice. DS loves sciences but also his sports and in the end he chose what he loves to do. The Stanford, UCLA and Notre Dame rejections hurt, he really spent some time loving those schools and thought they would appreciate his work. they said they wanted URM STEM students and what more could he have done to please them? I think that they are posing and saying things but in reality, those schools are not interested in Indigenous STEM Students.

3 Likes

30 years ago my husband did a SHAD program. I’m American, he’s dual and we live in the states. Just caught my eye.

My D22 also just received similar wording from Michigan- “it’s not you, it’s us. We’d love to have you, but there’s no room. Go somewhere else and transfer in two years”. She had been deferred from EA.

1 Like