Too Good To Go…..who has tried it?

I came across a posting on our towns FB page about this app. It connects you with local participating grocers, cafes, restaurants etc. who participate in the program. It is meant to help eliminate waste. What you do is reserve a surprise bag at whichever establishment in their list that you choose, then they give you a time frame to pick it up. The bag costs $4.99 and is supposed to contain $15 of products, possibly produce or bakery that went unsold. I just ordered my first bag from a small local grocer that I go to occasionally. I can pick up tomorrow after 10 am, and is it silly to say I’m a bit excited? The good thing is that our neighborhood food closet is right behind this store, so if there is anything in my bag that I wouldn’t use, I will just donate it there. So, has anybody tried this?

4 Likes

Looking forward to a report!

2 Likes

Never heard of it. Come back and tell us how it went.

2 Likes

Totally annoying you have to download the app to find out if there are any participating businesses in your area. Of course there are none where I am.

2 Likes

I’ve never heard of it either but it does sound fun! Can’t wait for you to report back.

2 Likes

@Juno16, I’m in Boston so plenty to pick from, depending on the distance parameter you choose.

1 Like

I heard about this on a podcast - I think the person may have been in Boston.

They did say that this process is not taking away from food that shelters etc would normally get

I too await your report. Doubt we have any participating places here though…

2 Likes

There is another thing…I can’t remember the name…but it’s mail order, and it’s imperfect produce. Everyone I know who has done it says it’s great.

1 Like
5 Likes

When I order online for grocery, they have an option for substitution for items they don’t have. I always check for no substitution because I want exarcly what I want when it comes to food (or most things), otherwise they would be thrown out at some point. I am not going to buy something just because it’s on sale.

5 Likes

Then this option would not be for you!

For others the “grab bag” or misfits approach can work - or they can share it with someone who can use what they can’t.

5 Likes

I have a friend in Briarcliff, NY that has gotten a bag from a local bakery and thought it was great. It’s a bakery so you kind of know what you could expect. She hasn’t mentioned doing it since but I think it would be great as an occasional treat.

1 Like

It’s big in Chicago… Lots of people do it. Bakeries are the best BTW.

Don’t get me started with the “Buy Nothing Group”… That’s very active in my area of the city.

2 Likes

It’s actually kinda fun… Have an open mind… Lol…

We look at the menu first to see if we like the food. Places give you a lot more then you would think. We look at it as getting to sample some different food once in awhile. Where I live most of the places are great. Never really had anything bad actually. We do it every now and then.

4 Likes

There was a story about it on a local news broadcast a year or two ago here in the SF Bay Area. It sounded like a great idea so I downloaded the app and found that not many places were participating, and those that were participating had very narrow time windows for when you could use it. It also had pretty bad reviews from people who were using it - mostly related to the issues I just mentioned. I uninstalled it a few days later without trying it. It may be better now, though.

1 Like

I have a sibling who used it in NYC. Thought it was a good value but found it really was a grab bag - sometimes lots of bread, often super-carby, but occasionally wow. Not a good option if you are at all picky about your diet, including for weight management, but it does mix things up. Sense was that each participating restaurant kinda did it on their own terms.

1 Like

I just got back from picking up my $4.99 surprise bag from our local market. In it was a 28 oz can of organic crushed tomatoes with basil, a 14 oz can of organic diced tomatoes, a wine size bottle of sparkling cranberry, and the best thing, their Italian sub which expired just yesterday and smells fine. The sub alone sells for $13.99. I’ve never got one there because of the price but my D and SIL get them from time to time and like them. Both cans have a small dent in them , but nbd. I’d say it was a good bag for a first time try.

15 Likes

Sounds good to me! And I find the surprise aspect lots of fun.

I wish there was real participation in my city. Perhaps it is new to this area but there are only 4 options (bakeries, all part of the same chain) within 6 miles of my home. So I doubt I will try it anytime soon, but I’ll check occasionally to see if more businesses get on board. I like the concept.

3 Likes

I am trying it! It does sound fun. At $5 it is more entertaining to me than just about anything else I could do for that amount of money. :joy:

There is a local fancy market near me that had a bag available this afternoon. What will I get?!

8 Likes

I found it to be $5 cheap entertainment as well! What time is your pickup slot @MAmomto4? Please report back on your surprise bag!

2 Likes