Transfer Chance Me Fall 2023 or Spring 2024

My main worry is my GPA which has dropped to a 3.5 and my ECs

Demographic: white (middle eastern), female, freshman

Schools: NYU, Boston University, Barnard (my dream :sob:), SUNY Binghamton, SUNY Stony Brook

Current Major: Natural Science (BS), but I want to change this to English or Anthropology

College GPA: 3.5 this could drop to 3.4 depending on the grade I think I may receive in my Lab class

HS GPA (W): 96.06 (I believe that equates to a 4.0)

ECs:

• Dog walker and sitter (paid and continuation from HS)

• Science Club: a member of the newsletter committee in which I research current discoveries and science-related news to be written about and accessed by other students

• Member of the United Students Government (continuation from HS): helped with organizing community service events (i.e. Thanksgiving food drive, clothing donations)

• Clinical Shadowing with med students and varying doctors

• (HS - Senior) Publicity Director of National Science Honor Society: managed social media account for my high school’s NSHS chapter and made presentations with my co-officers on science-related topics

• Depop seller (continuation from HS)

• Volunteer at 7Cups: provide emotional support via an online chat

• Volunteer at Learning Ally: data entry (making a list of audiobooks for educators)

LOR:

My English professor as she is the only prof that I have been able to form somewhat of a relationship with and has been able to evaluate my progress in the course

Last fall, there was someone with a 4.0 college GPA, but needing full aid, who was not accepted into Barnard. On the other hand, a 3.6 GPA with 1550 SAT and other favorable factors was admitted.

So a lot more will go into a transfer decision than just the GPA.

It’s a good idea to think of what you will bring to Barnard specifically, what it is about you uniquely that will make them want to add you to the existing student body.

Where are you studying currently? Are you at a different university or at a community college?

Are you in-state in New York?

Do you have any financial restrictions? Do you need financial aid?

I attend Fordham University (NYC) and will be applying as a Sophmore transfer
I am a NY resident
I will not be applying for financial aid

1 Like

Thanks. This is useful information.

I find it hard to give chances for transfer students. One issue is that transferring is relatively less common. Also, most of the people who I know who did successfully transfer had very high college / university GPAs.

Fordham is a very good university, and has both English and Anthropology (unless I am missing something). Thus at a minimum you are already in at a good school. It seems to me that you would save $$ if you get into either SUNY, and both anthropology and English are majors where you might want to save some college funds for graduate school.

It is not obvious to me why you would want to transfer from Fordham to either BU or NYU. Is there something specific about their programs that interests you? Barnard does seem like a reach.

Otherwise I tend to agree with @DigitalDad that it is very hard to know your chances. You might want to apply, then just focus on doing well in your current classes. I think that I would put most of my effort into doing well in classes and looking for internship or coop opportunities.

The most recent available Common Data Set (Institutional Research and Assessment | Barnard College) shows a Fall transfer acceptance rate of 22%, which is within their typical range.

60% of first-year students for the class of 2026 didn’t submit their SAT or ACT, possibly because their scores were below Barnard’s middle 50% of 1450-1540 or 32-35. If you had a strong SAT or ACT score, and you’ll be applying with a college GPA of 3.5 or below, maybe submitting your standardized tests is worth considering.

1 Like