Transfer Credits

So I’m in a bit of a pickle. I’m looking to transfer into UPenn from IU as Indiana is great and all but not what I was expecting. I was looking at the transfer requirements for Penn and they want one semester of calc, specifically calc 1. To fulfill that requirement you can either have a 5 on your BC exam or have taken an equivalent course at your school. At IU, I fulfill my requirement for a Calc 1 and Calc 2 course due to my 4 on my BC exam. Since my credit counted at IU for course credit, does that satisfy Penn’s requirement?

I would assume not, as transfer credit is ONLY awarded based on ACTUAL college classes—AP Credit would be based on Penn’s guidelines. However, you should definitely contact the admissions office, as they have the final word on anything related to admissions—and that’s why they’re there! :smile:

Penn is extremely difficult to be admitted to, so if you’re 110% certain you want to transfer out of IU, I would recommend applying widely (safeties, matches, and reaches,) and hope for the best.

Hope that helps! Good luck with admissions!

Thx so much. My only concern is that it says "Please don’t contact academic departments with transfer equivalency questions. Instead, review the course list in the University Catalog to determine if Penn offers similar courses. " on Penns website, but do you think this question is worth asking?

I’m assuming you’re trying to transfer into Wharton, as it’s the only school that explicitly requires 1 semester of calculus. In that case, it does clearly state that you “must meet the specific academic requirements” by having a “5” on the BC exam, a “7” on IB Math HL, or an equivalent course. If possible, I would recommend taking a calculus class at IU equivalent to Math 104: you should be able to find info about the course content online. If it’s not possible, it’s worth asking undergraduate admissions if they consider exceptions, though it would be unlikely.

Wharton Transfer: https://admissions.upenn.edu/admissions-and-financial-aid/preparing-for-admission/transfer-admission/wharton-school-transfer

Hope that helps!

Note that UPenn “calculus part 1” (MATH 104) is what most other colleges call “calculus 2”.

What most other colleges call “calculus 1” is what UPenn calls “introduction to calculus” (MATH 103).